PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Battery Draining Very Quickly

klif
10th January 2009, 06:20 PM
Hi All,

I have had my iPhone since day one in Australia and it has been adequate in terms of its battery usage for day to day activities.

However in the last 24 hours something has changed and I don't know what.

During this time I noticed that the iPhone is quite warm to the touch, this typically only happens when using 3G and GPS to navigate for a period of time in Google Maps.

To test this I put the phone in flight mode to disable all of the 2G,3G,Wifi and GPS services, and sure enough the iPhone cooled right down again.

I have installed no new application
I have changed no settings on the iPhone

However today the battery went from 100% to 10% in just over 4 hours, during this time:
- No calls were made or received
- No sms were sent or received
- No wifi usage was done
- No GPS usage was done
- No specific Optus 3G data was done (ie: no browsing, etc.)
- Push email was operating over Optus 3G to my work mail server

Something is very wrong here.

I have restarted the phone, and it has made no difference.

I am just recharging the phone via USB and have disabled Push email and will let it run again for 4 hours or so and check the battery usage.

I have made a pre-emptive Genius appointment at the Apple Store at Chadstone tomorrow just in case none of this testing changes anything.

Any suggestions?

themessup
10th January 2009, 06:22 PM
If it has happened recently all of a sudden, it's unlikely to be a software fault. It may be push, but also unlikely. Perhaps you should try a restore if it isn't too much of a hassle before your Genius appointment.

Also in your next tests, turn off push and 3G even though you are not sending/receiving any data. The iPhone really doesn't have great battery life, but it shouldn't drain that quickly. That's for sure.

tom.

casioguy
10th January 2009, 06:29 PM
If you have any kind of push mail or sync installed, delete these and reinstall. This is a known issue for a suddenly shortened battery life.

klif
10th January 2009, 06:33 PM
If it has happened recently all of a sudden, it's unlikely to be a software fault. It may be push, but also unlikely. Perhaps you should try a restore if it isn't too much of a hassle before your Genius appointment.

Also in your next tests, turn off push and 3G even though you are not sending/receiving any data. The iPhone really doesn't have great battery life, but it shouldn't drain that quickly. That's for sure.

I can try it with 3G and Push off, but will have to do these as seperate tests to determine which if any makes any difference.

As for restore, if I really have to I will do, I have backed up everything on the iPhone that I need. I will also do an iTunes backup.

If you have any kind of push mail or sync installed, delete these and reinstall. This is a known issue for a suddenly shortened battery life.

Push has been running without fault for months now.

Tom125
10th January 2009, 06:43 PM
Check your Optus data usage online. I've had the battery draining and getting hot issue (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/47/56469-boiling-hot-iphone-chews-up-60mb-2-hours.html) happen a couple of times and found Vodafone has recorded lots of data use when the iPhone counter hasn't.

iCarllovesapple
10th January 2009, 07:39 PM
Use the iPhone until the battery runs flat. After it runs flat leave it off and charging until the battery is full. After that it should all work. :)
If not call Apple and see if they will be able to help you....

chrsha01
10th January 2009, 07:41 PM
Have a look at this thread for all the easy ways to save battery life. :)

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/53/56013-iphone-battery-tips.html

rickyd
10th January 2009, 10:11 PM
Although the link above me suggests not to do so; I (as iCarllovesapple has suggested) have occasionally had this issue, and I find that by completely draining the iPhone's battery, then fully recharging settles the issue.

Try it.

macnwindows
10th January 2009, 10:22 PM

+1. Happened to me a couple of times. It's probably the push email bug. Try removing email accounts, check how battery charge holds and then re-setup emails.

klif
11th January 2009, 08:18 PM
I let the iPhone go 100% flat overnight, then force powered it off, and left it to charge for a few hours, after which it was still only at 80% or so.

I then let it run for a while and sure enough it started to get warm again and the battery was draining.

I then did one more backup in iTunes and did a factory restore on the iPhone.

I did not restore my iPhone backup, instead sync'd my contacts, apps, songs, ringtones back again.

Then left it for 1.5 hours and battery life seemed acceptable and the iPhone wasn't getting warm.

If course all email profiles had been destroyed, so I re-added my work (NotifyLink) mail setup to the iPhone.

Its now been running for 8 hours or so and its chewed through almost 50% of the battery with zero usage apart from push email running in the background to work.

So its better than it was but not 100%.

I cancelled my Apple Genius appointment as I was still in the middle of testing the outcome of the restore to factory settings, if need be I'll have to book in again.

klif
25th January 2009, 05:13 PM
Just thought I'd post an update as I'm still concerned about what happened to my phone around the time I reported the issues here.

I just received my Optus printed phone bill and on the two days in question I supposedly downloaded
8th Jan, 2009 - 139Mb $44.41 ex. GST
9th Jan, 2009 - 139Mb $42.39 ex. GST

At any other time in that month I didn't exceed 10Mb per day, including on the 7th and 10th either side of the issues I was facing.

So it would appear to me that something was downloading loads of 3g data, this would explain the heating up of the device as well as the massive battery drain.

I have no idea what it was, but obviously whatever it was that got stuck was killed off when I did the full restore of the iPhone 3G.

The incident hasn't repeated itself and no-one else using the works Push email solution reported anything like this.

All I can say is WTF!!!

And I'm glad I'm on the Optus $59 Cap plan otherwise the 388Mb of data Optus said I did that much would have cost me a fortune, for something to this day I can't explain.

It's a shame Optus can't tell me where the data was coming from, during that period ;(

Tom125
25th January 2009, 08:10 PM
Sounds like exactly the same thing I have had with Vodafone (see my earlier post in this thread). It happened again this month - Vodafone think I've used 140MB, the iPhone thinks I've used 30MB. As I haven't gone over my cap yet I haven't bothered contacting Vodafone - it's too much hassle.

Since then I've turned off push and I'll see if that helps. Grrrr.... it's one of those issues that's impossible to sort out I think. :(

bigmouth
26th January 2009, 10:52 AM
My friend had the same thing - all the measures were taken and he was down to practically 5% at the end of the day, not even within 12 hours !

So he's got a new one, thanks to Apple/Optus....pretty painless exchange too.

mitty
26th January 2009, 10:58 AM
I was recently experimenting with Push and noticed a similar thing, even though the push details i entered weren't valid. As soon as I deleted the push account everything was back to normal. If we ever do get push email on Gmail I'll think twice about using it since the effect on battery life is abominable.

dracomjb
27th January 2009, 09:11 AM
I started experiencing major battery issues just over a week ago. I had plugged my iPhone into the wall charger at 9am, unplugged at 3pm, flew to Adelaide, watched a 45 minute video on the flight and done nothing else since unplugging it and when I was finishing the video I got a 10% battery warning. I thought my wife had switched off the charger so it hadn't been charged. When I started having more issues during the week I realised it was the iPhone.

I turned Push for Exchange into Manual.....didn't make a difference.
Turned Push for MobileMe into Manual - this fixed the problem.

Turned both back to Push and all seems to be working fine now.

I think there must have been a problem with MobileMe push causing excessive usage.

Maybe before deleting accounts turn the Push setting for each one into Manual and seeing if that fixes things first.

Tom125
27th January 2009, 01:32 PM
@dracomjb Sounds familiar unfortunately. Check your data usage online too to make sure you're not in for a shock when the bill comes. :(

dracomjb
5th February 2009, 01:13 PM
Looks like this problem wasn't fixed in the latest firmware.

My next step is to do a full restore and test again, then if still a problem contact Apple.

manooka
6th February 2009, 07:11 AM
I am also having battery drain issues. Only mine is occurring while my phone is OFF! I turn my iPhone off at night, strangely enough to save battery power, but the last couple of days I wake up and turn my phone on just to get the dead battery / charge symbol. It was at least 50% charged before turning it off.

Not sure if I have installed anything that would run while phone is off. Anyone else had this problem?? :slant:

klif
6th February 2009, 07:26 PM
Can you confirm how you turn it off?

manooka
6th February 2009, 10:06 PM
Can you confirm how you turn it off?

I hold the lock button and then slide to turn off. Am I doing something wrong?

klif
7th February 2009, 07:56 AM
Nope sounds right.... Don't believe you can get it anymore off than that....

LTS Jayce
7th February 2009, 08:38 AM
Just thought I'd post an update as I'm still concerned about what happened to my phone around the time I reported the issues here.

I just received my Optus printed phone bill and on the two days in question I supposedly downloaded
8th Jan, 2009 - 139Mb $44.41 ex. GST
9th Jan, 2009 - 139Mb $42.39 ex. GST

At any other time in that month I didn't exceed 10Mb per day, including on the 7th and 10th either side of the issues I was facing.

So it would appear to me that something was downloading loads of 3g data, this would explain the heating up of the device as well as the massive battery drain.

I have no idea what it was, but obviously whatever it was that got stuck was killed off when I did the full restore of the iPhone 3G.

The incident hasn't repeated itself and no-one else using the works Push email solution reported anything like this.

All I can say is WTF!!!

And I'm glad I'm on the Optus $59 Cap plan otherwise the 388Mb of data Optus said I did that much would have cost me a fortune, for something to this day I can't explain.

It's a shame Optus can't tell me where the data was coming from, during that period ;(

That sounds like it could've been painful! How do you check your usage via the phone? I'd like to see what my usage is, versus the bill that the boss gets(work iPhone). I've noticed mine heating up at different times, but only once has battery life been massively excessive for no reason. That said, standard battery life for me is a day, tops: something I would like to double, triple of even x 7!!

TheKeddi
7th February 2009, 08:44 AM
I charge my battery every few days, I get good life out of it because i just use the mail occasionally, I did have it on push a couple of weeks back but it killed my battery life, so yeah no more push for me!!

klif
7th February 2009, 09:37 AM
That sounds like it could've been painful! How do you check your usage via the phone? I'd like to see what my usage is, versus the bill that the boss gets(work iPhone). I've noticed mine heating up at different times, but only once has battery life been massively excessive for no reason. That said, standard battery life for me is a day, tops: something I would like to double, triple of even x 7!!

Settings->General->Usage

But be aware this is only a measure of the megabytes the devices thinks its sent and received.

The telco's records can be different (always larger).

This is because if you start to download a 100kb image via 3G and then cancel the page loading after only 30kb, then the iPhone will record 30kb and the telco will record 100kb. This is because the telco did indeed retrieve the entire 100kb image for your device(the bit they charge for), it just never delivered it at your request.

klif
7th February 2009, 09:39 AM
I charge my iPhone daily. Normally it comes off charge at 8am, and has to be back on by Midnight.

I have push email running which does chew the battery significantly, but also if i'm out after work and start browsing, facebooking, checking train times, checking weather, etc. then it always results in dramatic battery use.

I need push for work, so i'm stuck with this pattern ;(

For example I came home last night with 10% battery remaining.

Another thing I know kills the battery is to have push enabled with wifi while going about your daily business, the device spends soo much time scanning for AP's it flattens the battery in half the time.

manooka
7th February 2009, 01:30 PM
I have a jailbreak so I now use PowerTool to turn off the phone. Seems to have fixed the problem of draining while off

LTS Jayce
8th February 2009, 02:55 PM
Settings->General->Usage

But be aware this is only a measure of the megabytes the devices thinks its sent and received.

The telco's records can be different (always larger).

This is because if you start to download a 100kb image via 3G and then cancel the page loading after only 30kb, then the iPhone will record 30kb and the telco will record 100kb. This is because the telco did indeed retrieve the entire 100kb image for your device(the bit they charge for), it just never delivered it at your request.

Ta for the heads up and the tip! :thumbup:

chrome
8th February 2009, 10:26 PM
Just curious; the people having problems with this, are the phones jailbroken?

I've not seen this behaviour on my phone. Had one since launch.

marc
8th February 2009, 11:08 PM
I had issues here. Turning off push email solved the quick battery drain.

Also, if I launch Mail I often run iStat and hit "Free Memory" to ensure Mail gets quit so it won't keep running in the background.

klif
9th February 2009, 06:07 AM
My iPhone was not jail broken at the time of this issue.

shiny
12th February 2009, 08:57 AM
Issue here as well, just browsing the app store on my phone, finished and put on my desk.

Went to pick it up and it is very warm and battery at 50%, re-booted phone seems OK, Optus site as not updated with todays usage.

dracomjb
12th February 2009, 10:55 AM
I did a full restore in itunes Tuesday night, then restored the iphone backup, didn't notice any problems on Wednesday, but it's not a constant issue, it's intermittent, so will keep monitoring it and if it continues to be a problem I'll contact Apple.

@Shiny - do you have MobileMe push enabled?

shiny
12th February 2009, 10:57 AM
@Shiny - do you have MobileMe push enabled?

Nope! :)

dracomjb
12th February 2009, 03:12 PM
Nope! :)

That's weird then because I can prevent the battery drain and heat issue by turning off MobileMe Push.

Experienced the problem again today so reported it to Apple iPhone support. They basically said based on what I'd tried it's either a problem with the MobileMe settings or MobileMe. Suggested that I contact MobileMe about it. They also said that the next step for them would be for me to restore but to not restore from backup and treat it as a new phone. I'll look into doing that after I hear back from MobileMe.

shiny
12th February 2009, 04:31 PM
Nt sure what happened to my iPhone, but it went back in time, after a re-boot the iPod app went back to the album I was listening to yesterday and notes and contacts I added this morning have vanished, by the time I got home from work battery was nearly flat.

Doing a restore now, will see what happens.

brettbutler63
3rd April 2014, 08:22 PM
Hi All,

I have had my iPhone since day one in Australia and it has been adequate in terms of its battery usage for day to day activities.

However in the last 24 hours something has changed and I don't know what.

During this time I noticed that the iPhone is quite warm to the touch, this typically only happens when using 3G and GPS to navigate for a period of time in Google Maps.

To test this I put the phone in flight mode to disable all of the 2G,3G,Wifi and GPS services, and sure enough the iPhone cooled right down again.

I have installed no new application
I have changed no settings on the iPhone

However today the battery went from 100% to 10% in just over 4 hours, during this time:
- No calls were made or received
- No sms were sent or received
- No wifi usage was done
- No GPS usage was done
- No specific Optus 3G data was done (ie: no browsing, etc.)
- Push email was operating over Optus 3G to my work mail server

Something is very wrong here.

I have restarted the phone, and it has made no difference.

I am just recharging the phone via USB and have disabled Push email and will let it run again for 4 hours or so and check the battery usage.

I have made a pre-emptive Genius appointment at the Apple Store at Chadstone tomorrow just in case none of this testing changes anything.

Any suggestions?

I found that after I did the last update about 2 to 3 weeks ago my battery life isn't as good

kyte
4th April 2014, 12:39 PM
I found that after I did the last update about 2 to 3 weeks ago my battery life isn't as good

Hello Brett. Did you notice you are responding to a thread thats almost 5 years old? It may not matter.. just wondering...