PDA

View Full Version : Spitting out CDs

MichaelH
9th January 2009, 04:19 PM
I seem to have myself an issue here!

Not long ago, I went to burn some files via Toast Titanium. Got the program up no problem and inserted a blank disc. It whirred a bit then nothing happened other than the program froze and the disc stuck - in fact, the system didn't recognise the disc at all. Force Quitting it wouldn't work, neither would using 'kill' via the Terminal.

OK that's happened before, so I just rebooted and the disc ejected after start up.

So I try again. Except now - every disc that I put in is automatically ejecting itself. It whirrs a couple of times with a few seconds in between, then ejects. This is not just blank discs but commercial ones too, so it's not just a dodgy blank disc or anything.

It all happened after trying to use Toast, and everything was fine before then.

Any suggestions as to what can be done???

I'm on an original G4 Mini, using 10.4.9 - 1.42 GHz with 1 GB RAM, drive is MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8124

Any help appreciated.

Huy
9th January 2009, 04:21 PM
Sounds like your drive is busted and needs a replacement.

This happened on another one of my machines before. Same situation. I think it might even be the same drive. Combo drive.

Brains
9th January 2009, 04:49 PM
I'm with Huy; something has gone spanggg inside your optical drive, and you're up for a replacement.

~Coxy
9th January 2009, 04:54 PM
Since the mini is long out of warranty, you can always try being brave and opening up the drive mechanism itself and taking a look. Often it's one of those shitty little nylon gears is free-wheeling and some glue can stave off a replacement.

MichaelH
9th January 2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the replies so far, though they may not be quite the answer I was hoping for!

Unless anyone else comes up with a nice fix for the issue, I'm feeling inclined to perhaps upgrade the computer rather than just replace the drive in this one. I've been thinking a faster machine, with more than 2 USB ports and with audio input unlike a G4 Mini, might be a handy idea anyway.

Of course, the Mini might be upgraded itself soon - or maybe discontinued, no-one seems to know - so whether this is the best time to get a current one, I don't know. But it might just be a good time for me anyway, as I do a lot of audio work and a non-functioning drive to burn the results just ain't good enough.

(To ~Coxy - I prob wouldn't be brave enough to attempt opening it up; I've had people at an Apple centre wait until a more qualified colleague was around to open the case as they didn't want to try it themselves - so I'd be very suss about doing it myself!)

So I might open up a new thread about certain questions I have about upgrading - but don't let that put anyone off answering further in this one! Cheers.

Huy
9th January 2009, 05:50 PM
Use an external CD/DVD drive. Or CD/DVD sharing on another Mac?

MichaelH
9th January 2009, 06:03 PM
Oh bloody hell - an external drive! Yes. Brilliant. :) I do have one lurking around the place. Shall test and get back.

MichaelH
9th January 2009, 06:40 PM
You know how sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees, and need an outside perspective to show you something you might have missed? Even if it was staring you in the face? :)

The external drive has worked fine! And the audio project which was 98% finished doesn't have to be put back as I feared. Plus I don't need to get another Mini, just yet anyway...

All thanks to Huy's suggestion.

Thank you kindly indeed, and to all others who replied. Good place, this MacTalk!

forgie
9th January 2009, 06:53 PM
The last time I saw something like this was when a friend put a rented DVD in their slot loading super-drive - a sticker on the DVD came off inside the drive and killed the mechanism. I bought I new one of the net, then replaced it for her, and after I'd ensured that the iBook was working properly again, I took apart the "dead" drive. It seemed to work fine after removing the sticker. :) YMMV

MichaelH
12th January 2009, 05:17 PM
Damn it. I'm starting to think it's something in the mini that's not wanting to play now. The external CD/DVD burner was fine there for a couple of days. Then a little earlier today, it made a couple of not very loud but noticeable poppy kind of noises when playing a CD. Not long after, the player (Audion 3) froze and couldn't be force quit. Then iTunes did the same.

Rebooted, Applejacked, tried again. Seemed to play OK in iTunes. So thought I'd try burning a CD using Toast. Got into a few tracks - then Toast did the same thing - froze and couldn't be force quit.

Seems anything audio - other than playing the file itself via 'get Info' apparently - makes the system play up. And audio is one of the main reasons I have the thing.

Therefore... unless anyone has theories for this behaviour, it's looking like I do need a new Mini sooner rather than later.

Any reason I shouldn't get a current one rather than wait? Any new one would have extra grunt, but if audio processing using Amadeus and Sound Studio is the most intensive thing I do, it shouldn't make that big a difference, I assume.

Plus all the benefits of a mini that's not first generation, ie extra USB ports, audio in etc. Just hoping a new one would run all the current programs OK.

So in this situation - would you wait a little while just in case, or get a current mini regardless? Just seeing what others would do. :)