PDA

View Full Version : How is your replacement iPhone?

forno
9th January 2009, 01:09 PM
I have 3 cracks in my iPhone, 2 of them (between the headphone jack and the bezel, and between the silent switch and the bezel) dont really stress me. The crack starting from the silent switch and heading around towards the heaphone jack is about 5mm long and that does concern me.

Now my iPhone has never given me any grief at all so after reading a couple of stories about the refurb replacement handset people have received being less than pristine concerns me.

So if you have had a replacement I am interested in how its going and if you coulsd see any aesthetic clues to it being a refurb

Cheers.

richbowen
9th January 2009, 05:07 PM
There was a post on MTAU last week that stated that refurbs have Serial Numbers that start with 5K8.

My 3G iPhone was replaced by Apple and has the 5K8 serial so I guess that makes it a refurb. However the exterior was pristine and I have had absolutely no problems with it at all.

Mac Ram
9th January 2009, 05:21 PM
I have a similar crack, about 2mm, starting from the silencer switch.

Does a replacement mean I will be without for a while? I'm not in Sydney, so will have to go to back to the telco store.

decryption
9th January 2009, 05:22 PM
I have the same kinds of cracks on my iPhone (same spots too) and the power button has sunk in. Apple still wouldn't replace it :(

I have a similar crack, about 2mm, starting from the silencer switch.

Does a replacement mean I will be without for a while? I'm not in Sydney, so will have to go to back to the telco store.

Yup, unless you take it to Apple directly, you will be without a phone while the telco gets their shit together. My suggestion is to contact Apple directly on the phone and pay the $30 to get a new iPhone sent to you first, that you keep and then you return your iPhone to them.

chrsha01
9th January 2009, 05:27 PM
There was a post on MTAU last week that stated that refurbs have Serial Numbers that start with 5K8.

Yeah I posted that. :D

You can find out all about my experience in these threads

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/47/64254-cannot-make-receive-calls-call-failed.html

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/21/42522-apple-store-chadstone-80.html (Near the end of the thread)

:)

Mac Ram
9th January 2009, 05:29 PM
Yup, unless you take it to Apple directly, you will be without a phone while the telco gets their shit together. My suggestion is to contact Apple directly on the phone and pay the $30 to get a new iPhone sent to you first, that you keep and then you return your iPhone to them.

Thanks. Sounds like a plan.

forno
11th January 2009, 08:18 AM
So I made a reservation to see a genius at Chaddy yesterday. Short story is a new phone due to the cracking, I have had a few "call failed" in the last few weeks and was told that doesn't warrant a change over. "turn of 3G for calls" was the answer such amazed me.

The phone is a return if the serial number is true, aesthetically the phone is perfect, albeit with some slight differences

The opening in the case for the connector is now changered, the sleep button is slightly rounded around it's top edge & and I noticed that the screen has a very feint grid you can see when the screen us off.

When i did a restore from backup it did everything but the layout of icons on the home screen and following screens so I had to manually shuffle them all back to where I had then

stab
19th January 2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah we got ours replaced in at Chaddy too which was freakin awesome seeing as we were holidaying in Melb and needed it for gps and internet.

My son threw it accross the room accidently whilst playing bloody phone saber!! )(*&#$&^$
A crack started growing from the iphone connector.

But the Genius took one look and replaced it on the spot God bless him!

abure
19th January 2009, 08:42 PM
I had cracks in my phone and took it back to optus, which they replaced it with a brand new one. it was in pristine so i doubt it was a refub, despite having a 5K8 serial number.

NeoRicen
19th January 2009, 08:44 PM
I posted my experience in another thread, but the abridged version is that I got a replacement for a loose silent switch, and as far as I could tell it's brand new, although it does have the refurb serial number, so either it's new or a refurb in very very good condition.