PDA

View Full Version : Optus Unlocking Proceedure

Rambler
9th January 2009, 10:04 AM
Hi all,

Im picking up an iphone today from the apple store and have a question about unlocking it for use with a 3 sim.

Are these the steps to take?

1 - Buy $120 worth of recharge cards and add it to the optus prepaid sim,

2 - Call up customer service and request an unlock,

3 - Sit and patiently wait for a SMS from optus advising of the unlocking of the handset,

4 - Once I receive the SMS, connect the iphone to itunes with the optus sim in the phone and restore,

5 - Once this is done insert the 3 sim.

6 - Done

Also I have a few more questions.

- How long does the unlock process take with optus?, and

- I also use a telstra netxg prepaid sim when travelling. Will the iphone relock to the telstra sim if I swap it with the 3 sim?

Finally for those who are interested Coles are offering 20% off $100 recharge cards. This brings down the Optus unlock fee to $100. Lasoo.com.au - Search offers and catalogues from your local retail stores (http://www.lasoo.com.au/portal/offerdetails/_100_recharge_vouchers/1186516654252?pageview=one&gotopage=20&CatalogueID=1186516506628&source=catalogueoffer&jump=)

Thanks

Exocet
9th January 2009, 10:05 AM
All of these questions have been covered on the forums before, please use the search function here:
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/search.php

chrisongtj
9th January 2009, 04:32 PM
Why not just jailbreak/unlock it?

Exocet
9th January 2009, 04:53 PM

Because at this stage its still unreliable and an official means is preferred?

Rambler
9th January 2009, 06:52 PM

I'd rather do it legitimately, and with the current offer with Coles the unlock is only $100.

edmundpw
10th March 2009, 04:29 PM
All of these questions have been covered on the forums before, please use the search function here:
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/search.php
I've just used the search feature and it brings back >200 threads with thousands of posts. I have no time to read them all to find the answer. Perhaps someone could answer the question helpfully, rather than snottily?

PatrickH
10th March 2009, 04:33 PM
I'd rather do it legitimately, and with the current offer with Coles the unlock is only $100.

That's clever.

I suppose you can then sell the SIM card to someone for ~$80 something (considering it comes with $100 credit).

All up, you'll be paying ~$20 for the unlock.

af3556
11th March 2009, 12:28 PM
I've just (legitimately) unlocked my Optus phone. Your initial summation is correct.

I bought $120 of credit online in two lots (max online is $100, got 10% discount due to current promo so total cost was $108).

Rang 133 713, asked for "iPhone tech support". Said I wanted to unlock the phone, they checked that I'd reached the $120 and then put the wheels in motion, quoting 10 business days before I'd receive an SMS.

(side track: my second recharge had an error and didn't register, so when I called after ~5 bus days to check how it was going, I found it had been "held" (no notification to me though!). Re-did the recharge, got the confirmation this time, called iPhone tech support back 5 mins later and they escalated as I'd already waited 5 days. They had already done whatever preparation they need to do and the guy advised I could immediately restore the phone and it would be unlocked.)

I restored the phone (iTunes -> Devices list -> My iPhone page -> Restore) and checked with a Telstra NextG SIM - aok. I've been switching back and forth bet. the Telstra and Optus SIM without drama.

Only annoying bit was having to re-jailbreak the phone (well, over and above the whole having to unlock the thing to start with. Honestly, would it kill them to sell an unlocked version straight up).

Ben

jleetj
11th March 2009, 04:17 PM
Very timely thread! A friend has just asked me to help him buy and unlock a pre-paid iphone, he is overseas however... will the unlocking process be successful if the phone is sent overseas during the days it takes for Optus to get it done?

Cods
11th March 2009, 04:20 PM
A suggestion to the OP: you might want to re-title the thread to "Optus PrePaid Unlocking Procedure".

Cheers,

Devil
16th April 2009, 04:15 PM
I bought $120 of credit online in two lots

Does the Optus SIM still have $120 worth of call credit on it or does it get used up by the unlocking procedure?

ziggotron
16th April 2009, 10:30 PM
I got mine unlocked when it only costed $80, I got to keep the credit. I'm not sure if they've changed anything else besides the cost.

Turps
17th April 2009, 02:00 PM
So whats the cost for unlocking a phone on an optus cap plan?

fompsweeva
17th April 2009, 02:43 PM
It's free.

adamerr
18th April 2009, 10:36 PM
It's free.

I just bought a 2nd-hand iPhone 3G which had previously been on a plan.
If I throw it on pre-paid, the free unlock wont apply right?