PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G on Optus Contract - is it 'unlocked'

jesse
9th January 2009, 08:38 AM
Sorry if this has come up before, but I'd like to get clarification from someone who knows more than I do about contracted iPhones.

I'm traveling to Asia (Hong Kong / China) soon and want to buy local SIM cards while I'm there. Do I need to go into Optus and say "Unlock this please" or should the phone be fine as it currently stands?

If I were to guess, I'd say it should be fine - but thought I'd ask anyway!

Al Aero
9th January 2009, 08:42 AM
Just call em up tell them there international roaming rates are bullshit.. there 3G coverage is fucked...

BOOM UNLOCK=PROFIT!!

btw, even if you are unlocked your still on contract unless you pay them your house,wife, girlfriend and sister..

a.

P.s they will do it for free aswell ;)

jesse
9th January 2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks Al Aero, Sounds like I should give them a call. And yea - I'll need to ride out the rest of the contract but at least I can use the phone overseas.

drewbles
9th January 2009, 08:47 AM
Phone 1300 300 937. Tell the IVR "iPhone Support" and you'll get straight through to the right people to have the unlock done. Can take up to 10 working days to do and you'll get an SMS when it's done.

Try a search. Lots of posts on this here.

tcn33
9th January 2009, 08:47 AM
btw, even if you are unlocked your still on contract unless you pay them your house,wife, girlfriend and sister..
I paid out my contract and I still have a wife. Guess I better get the TIO involved...

Exocet
9th January 2009, 08:52 AM
I paid out my contract and I still have a wife. Guess I better get the TIO involved...

You got ripped!

Al Aero
9th January 2009, 08:55 AM
Just did this..

to damm easy..

a.

drewbles
9th January 2009, 09:00 AM

Paid out 'a' contract? You want the HIO. Hitman Industry Ombudsman ;)

jesse
9th January 2009, 10:57 AM
Phone 1300 300 937. Tell the IVR "iPhone Support" and you'll get straight through to the right people to have the unlock done. Can take up to 10 working days to do and you'll get an SMS when it's done.

Thanks drewbles, I have called and managed to get it sorted in the space of 8 minutes on the phone.

-jc:thumbup:

Cage123
9th January 2009, 07:39 PM

Also, for those NOT on a contract and pay pre-paid. You to can also get it unlocked AS LONG as you have recharged $120 or more.

Later