PDA

View Full Version : Jailbreaking broke iphone 3G :(

azajohns
9th January 2009, 08:25 AM
Sorry if this has been covered before, most of the posts I've found were for older versions of the software, or just stories of success which just made me feel even more dumb.

So I tried jailbreaking my brother in law's iPhone last night (with the intent of then unlocking), and it all went pear shaped. Everything seemed to go well, it went through the whole process, got to the end and said something like "update successful, please wait till your iPhone reboots" at which point we waited and waited and it never came back. It had changed the Apple logo to the Pineapple, so something had happened, but would not reboot.

I eventually managed to 'force reboot' the phone, and plugged it into the PC. iTunes didn't see it, but the Quickpwn app did, so I tried re-running the program, but the result was the same.

Any thoughts? I'm planning to do a restore of the phone tonight and try the process again, but how do I restore if iTunes doesn't see it?

Thanks for any help. My cred as the family 'tech guru' has just slipped down a few notches.

matthew858
9th January 2009, 08:30 AM
Does iTunes detect even anything at all "Unknown device"?

What is the current state of the iPhone?

The problem is that if you take it to an Apple store or your carrier, since you changed the boot logos, they will know something went wrong while you attempted to jailbreak and they may be reluctant to help you.

drewbles
9th January 2009, 08:37 AM
Put the phone in DFU mode and restore to original.

We all slip up on the guru side occasionally. The plus side to that is that your family may stop bugging you to help them with their computers and that's a good thing ;)

To put the phone in DFU mode, hold the home button and the sleep/wake button for 10 seconds continuously and after an exact full ten seconds let go of the sleep/wake button and continue to hold the home button for another 10 seconds. Make sure that *before* you do this, your phone is plugged into iTunes. The phone should be off before attempting this also (off/plugged into USB, iTunes open, then start the DFU mode).

When iTunes has successfully detected the phone in DFU mode, it'll say "iTunes has detected an iPhone in Restore Mode" or similar.

Check out this:

iClarified - iPhone - How to Put an iPhone Into DFU Mode (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034)

That may help you. Restore to factory, make sure it's working, and then when you have 2.2 on, just make sure your version of Quickpwn is right for 2.2.

It's near impossible to brick an iPhone thanks to DFU mode, although there have been reports 10.5.6 has broken some stuff by accident.

See how you go:)

azajohns
9th January 2009, 08:48 AM
When I left last night iTunes was simply not recognising that anything was attached. This was on his PC so I might try my mac and see if it pops up.

As for the state of the iPhone, on the second attempt to install I unchecked the 'pinapple logo' so now it just shows the Apple logo, indefinitely. That may be a good thing if he does have to take it in for repair, although they'll probably figure it out eventually. Hopefully it won't come to that.

azajohns
9th January 2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks Drewbles! That sounds like just the ticket!

Just a question on restoring to factory settings. I did a backup of all his apps, settings etc. After doing the factory reset, then jailbreaking, can I then restore his stuff from backup, or will that undo everything?

drewbles
9th January 2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks Drewbles! That sounds like just the ticket!

Just a question on restoring to factory settings. I did a backup of all his apps, settings etc. After doing the factory reset, then jailbreaking, can I then restore his stuff from backup, or will that undo everything?

When you've done a restore, iTunes will prompt you 'restore from a recent backup' and then provide you with, if applicable, a drop down box with a list of times/dates that backups were made.

So if you did a sync before you borked the phone, it should let you restore to what it was at that last backup.

The only problem, and it's a pain in the arse (and I don't know why Apple haven't fixed it), is when you restore your App icons are not in the same location as how you had them. The home screen defaults to factory settings, then it just dumps the other App icons in sequential order. You will need to re-order the home screen and any subsequent screens, to how you want them.

Good luck:)

azajohns
9th January 2009, 09:03 AM
Awesome! Thanks again Drewbles, I'll report back with my stories of success! (one hopes).

azajohns
11th January 2009, 10:07 PM
SUCCESS! I followed your instructions and managed to restore the phone back to factory settings, then decided to try the whole process from scratch, this time on my Mac. Voilą, worked perfectly first time. I did everything exactly the same, so I figure the PC was just being... a PC, but we shouldn't be too surprised about that should we. So thanks again, my status as family tech guru has been restored, and I can now once again look forward to all those late-night crisis calls from the in-laws :)