PDA

View Full Version : Networking an Apple TV and AEBS

abure
8th January 2009, 05:45 PM
Ok, so whilst wireless is great and all, some days its just so slow.

So my brainwave went like this.

I could run a giant networking cable from our loungeroom (where the AppleTV is) to the office (where the AEBS is). Would this work?

And then i realised i would need to drill two holes in the wall (to get the cable through. Now i am not thrilled on just a hole coming through plaster and would prefer a plug attached to teh wall. So how does one get those data plugs? Is there something special that needs to be done.

It should be noted that my husband is a sparky who can put in phone points, so i presume he should be able to do this if told how.

purana
8th January 2009, 05:48 PM
It should be noted that my husband is a sparky who can put in phone points, so i presume he should be able to do this if told how.

Super easy, I'd assume he knows how. Run ethernet between the locations, it will make things a lot faster.

EDIT: Electrical wholesale place sells the wall plates and the cat5e or cat6 inserts that sit inside the wall plate. Then you just need suitable cable. If your husband is a sparky he should know all this, some do this kind of work if qualified.

abure
8th January 2009, 05:56 PM
will ask him when he gets home.

question: is cat 5 or 6 cable the same as phone cable or do i need something different?

jeremy_warnock
8th January 2009, 06:05 PM
I have a cat6 cable going from my lounge to my office where the aebs is for my appletv works great. `However the apple tv is only 100mb not the 1000mb of cat 6