PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Imac G5

adamjc
16th May 2005, 12:05 PM
Hi All,

Im ordering my iMac G5 this week and something has just come into my mind.

With new technologies being released all the time, how is it really possible to upgrade the iMac.

We know that you can add in more ram etc, but apart from that is it possible to upgrade other areas of the iMac and if so what are they.

Thanks,

Adam.

hawker
16th May 2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by adamjc@May 16 2005, 11:35 AM
With new technologies being released all the time, how is it really possible to upgrade the iMac.
RAM as suggested

Bigger Hard Drive

You can probably also replace the Combo/SuperDrive.

Apart from that, I don't think you can touch the video card...

OziMac
16th May 2005, 12:11 PM
Adam - you mean to tell me you haven't already checked out Apple's iMac 'do-it-yourself' support page (can't find the link now) or the iMac Service Guide???

You can -

1) Upgrade the RAM, and you noted - to a max of 2GB in the two PC3200 slots (or maybe 4GB if you use 2GB DIMMs? Don't know if this is possible).

2) Upgrade the hard drive (simple to take out and replace the current HDD) with any SATA drive (currently up to 400GB?).

3) Add Airport Extreme, and possibly bluetooth (I believe the latter is much trickier and isn't covered by the DIY warranty).

4) Upgrade the slot loading optical drive (though newer drives are by no means cheap).

5) Upgrade the mid-plane assembly (though no upgrade packages for this assembly ar as yet available).

hawker
16th May 2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@May 16 2005, 11:41 AM
3) Add Airport Extreme, and possibly bluetooth (I believe the latter is much trickier and isn't covered by the DIY warranty).
Actually,

These are built into the new models:

Built-in 54 Mbps AirPort Extreme (802.11g specification; IEEE 802.11b Wi-Fi certified)4; built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module.

OziMac
16th May 2005, 12:20 PM
Good point, hawker - but he might be getting an older model cheap ;) And of course, you can replace the Airport Extreme if necessary.

adamjc
16th May 2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@May 16 2005, 12:11 PM
Adam - you mean to tell me you haven't already checked out Apple's iMac 'do-it-yourself' support page (can't find the link now) or the iMac Service Guide???

You can -

1) Upgrade the RAM, and you noted - to a max of 2GB in the two PC3200 slots (or maybe 4GB if you use 2GB DIMMs? Don't know if this is possible).

2) Upgrade the hard drive (simple to take out and replace the current HDD) with any SATA drive (currently up to 400GB?).

4) Upgrade the slot loading optical drive (though newer drives are by no means cheap).

5) Upgrade the mid-plane assembly (though no upgrade packages for this assembly ar as yet available).
I am aware of all the CTO upgrades you can do.

Yet what I am trying to say is after 2 years, when a bigger and better video card is released for example am I going to be able to upgrade?

I have downloaded the complete user manual so that I will know what to do when the iMac arrives. Wasnt aware of any upgrade manuals.

Adam.

adamjc
16th May 2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@May 16 2005, 12:20 PM
Good point, hawker - but he might be getting an older model cheap ;) And of course, you can replace the Airport Extreme if necessary.
Im buying Brand New.

Upgrading ram to 1GB and hard drive to 400GB.

hawker
16th May 2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by adamjc@May 16 2005, 11:50 AM
Yet what I am trying to say is after 2 years, when a bigger and better video card is released for example am I going to be able to upgrade?
I could be wrong, and hopefully someone will tell me if I am... But no you cannot upgrade the video card.

Welcome to the world of iMac :)

pipsqeek
16th May 2005, 12:37 PM
You cannot upgrade the video card.

But I'd get the base model of your choice, since it now includes Airport Extreme and BT, and just upgrade the RAM for any old PC shop down the road... just make sure the RAM is a good quality brand and has a lifetime warranty.

The HDD is the same thing.... if you want to really upgrade it. Go to the PC shop and get a 400GB SATA model and fit it yourself. Should be a 5 min job, followed by an hour of reinstallation and configuration of Tiger.

pipsqeek

adamjc
16th May 2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks all for your help.

For me the base 20" is enough but I am considering the upgrade in RAM, as Next Byte offer a $100 voucher to RAM upgrades.

Thanks again,

Adam.

the_OM
16th May 2005, 01:21 PM
Yeah, Nextbyte have always had good pricing on RAM when you purchase a mac.
Kinda shows you what sort of mark-up they have on it if you want to walk in and buy RAM only.