PDA

View Full Version : Pocket PC Or Palm?

Lasha
16th May 2005, 08:34 AM
Hey guys. I'm getting my PowerBook this summer, and with it, I'd like to have PDA assistant. Can you guys tell me which ones you suggest, and why? Also, if there are any advantages with features, and etc....thanks.

luke_in_tas
16th May 2005, 08:43 AM
A PalmOS PDA will give you more flexability if you are using it with a Mac. Although you can get software that will sync your contacts, calendar, etc and install applications to a Windows PDA, you won't be able to sync other applications. For example, I use Passwords Plus and Filemaker Mobile on my Mac and on my Palm, and am able to sync data between the two devices. If I had Windows PDA I wouldn't be able to sync the data (without using a Windows PC).

symean
16th May 2005, 09:31 AM
Yeah, I would say Palm as well. It's more neutral in the OS war, and a friend of mine says that even though Pocket PCs can do more, that's not necessarily a good thing. They might be able to do more, but do they do anything well? Palm OS has sort of built up over the years by adding just the features that users want, like Bluetooth, video support, etc...whereas the Pocket Windows OS tried to do everything at the get-go, just like a desktop OS. Unfortunately I don't think taking a desktop OS and trying to cram it into a PDA is the right way to go, otherwise we would have seen a cut-down version of Mac OS 7 on a Newton :)

hawker
16th May 2005, 09:34 AM
Both the Palm software on the computer and the Palm software on the PDA, are stable and really really enjoyable to use. I notice alot of people with Pocket PC's have a fair amount of downtime, resetting and losing data etc.

Johnny Appleseed
16th May 2005, 11:26 AM
FileMaker Mobile should work with PocketPC as well.

That said, Palm has the reputation of a more intuitive interface, and I have an aversion to all things Microsoft. But PocketPC has caught up in the marketshare stakes, and PocketMac (http://www.pocketmac.net/products/pmpro3/pmpro3.html) will handle most of your connectivity needs.

Sorry for not giving you a straight answer!

harps
16th May 2005, 12:14 PM
Looking at my signature you will see that I am slightly biased in my response, however I strongly recommend Palm over Pocket PC.
I'm a recent covert from PC to Mac, and after some initial hurdles I have my Palm Tungsten T syncing perfectly with my Mac.
It sync perfectly with Entourage and through Documents to Go with both Word & Excel files. (The supposed strength of Pocket PC).
Prior to getting it to work with Entourage, through iSync it worked perfectly with Address Book & iCal. Unfortunatly you can not sync to both Entourage and iCal/Address Book.
I view the Palm vs Pocket PC battle like Mac vs PC, with Palm being on the good side!
I'm in the process of looking at upgrading, just waiting on more details on the forth coming LifeDrive before taking the plung.

kit
16th May 2005, 01:12 PM
Pocket PCs are very nice machines; certainly prettier, and certainly more powerful (they need to be). They're also excessive for most people.

I personally dislike the Palm interface (you can download a Palm emulator from PalmOne for both Mac and PC to play around with the interface before you buy), but it is more stable and has a huge community behind it.

I think you should get the Palm emulator and see for yourself if you'd use it (you can install software and what not on it exactly as you can on a genuine Palm handheld), and if not, I'll look at either a PocketPC or perhaps some sort of powerful phone?

luke_in_tas
16th May 2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Appleseed@May 16 2005, 11:26 AM
FileMaker Mobile should work with PocketPC as well.

FileMaker Mobile will work with PocketPC, but there is no way to sync FileMaker data between a Mac and a PocketPC device. Syncing FileMaker data between computer and PDA only works:
Windows PC <--&#62; PocketPC Device
Windows PC <--&#62; Palm OS Device
Mac <--&#62; Palm OS Device

The only data you will be able to sync between a Mac and a PocketPC is your contacts, calendar, etc and AvantGo, but this itself requires third party software like PocketMac or MissingSync. This is the reason you can&#39;t sync data from third party applications like FileMaker Mobile. There is no standard syncing infrastructure between the Mac and PocketPC devices, so third party developers can&#39;t write conduits for their products.

Alessiman
16th May 2005, 03:19 PM
I have decided to bite the bullet and get an XDA O2si. The one with the slide out keyboard.

As this phone runs Pocket PC 2003 I will soon find out just how well it does/doesn&#39;t work with mac Syncronization

PocketMac Pro looks the product to get in this respect

Has anyone used this product?

downsys
16th May 2005, 03:51 PM
Palm - one word - LifeDrive :)

Henry, thought u were going for the Motorola ;)

Lasha
16th May 2005, 04:28 PM
Yes, I&#39;ve been hearing many things about the LifeDrive, and I can&#39;t wait till it&#39;s released. That PocketMac Pro software makes me want to stick with the PocketPC side even more, but the LifeDrive seems very promising. I used to hate the interface of the Palm OS a few years back, but it has certainly approved. There is another piece of software called Missing Sync (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20268) for PocketPC. I think PocketMak Pro gives you more options and features. What do you guys think?

Also, I have another concern. Can I do everything PocketMac Pro would allow me to do with a PocketPC, on a Palm? In other words, can I do the things on a Palm that PocketMac Pro will allow me to do on a PocketPC? Thanks...

Alessiman
16th May 2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by downsys@May 16 2005, 03:51 PM
Palm - one word - LifeDrive :)

Henry, thought u were going for the Motorola ;)
Since I still haven&#39;t sold the S700i I had time to look other phones :)

I think I am worse than a women with changing my mind and all ;)

Kreats
16th May 2005, 04:33 PM
http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/articles/...lm2005-en.shtml (http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/articles/new-palm2005-en.shtml)

A hd is interesting - but 1gb flash memory is cheap these days. It looks a bit fragile also - not sure I&#39;d want it in my pocket.

If the battery life is improved, one of those E2&#39;s look pretty practical however.

crankyfranky
16th May 2005, 04:34 PM
If you also use a mobile phone, then a device worth checking out is the Treo 650 -- combining a Palm PDA and mobile phone into one device. It&#39;s a bit exxy though (around &#036;1K). Although you could find run-out Treo 600 models for under &#036;500.

Whilst it&#39;s not perfect, it&#39;s a great Mac compatible device. I got it to synch with Entourage with little effort.

In any event, my vote&#39;s for the Palm OS, &#39;cause it&#39;s that much more Mac friendly than the other...

Lasha
16th May 2005, 04:41 PM
Can anyone answer my questions I posted above, please?

Also, I saw that page with the LifeDrive info. It seems very promising with its 4GB storage capabiltiy, WiFi, and etc...

mvjs
16th May 2005, 04:59 PM
PocketPC&#39;s are way better (although you need third party software to sync), their still very good. More apps, and just a whole better experience, although Palms are esier to use, Pocket PCs are still better.

simonpeng
16th May 2005, 10:06 PM
Several things to think about before buying PDA,

1, What&#39;s your purpuose to have PDA?

2, What do you expect from your PDA?

3, Do you know what can a PDA do?

4, Do you know what&#39;s difference between PPC and Palm?

My first PDA is Palm V and I have used PPC and Symbian as well. My peresonal preference is Palm OS machine comparing to other OS. Base on my experience I have quite a lot to share, but it will make this post extremely long, so I just straight forward to the conclusion.

1, PPC = Pocket size of PC with Microsoft Windows, so you can imagine the rest of them if you have PC with you. It has all the advantage of PC and has almost all the problem of PC. Microsoft consider PIM is ONLY a feature of PPC, and PPC can do more.

2, Palm OS = electronic diary when it&#39;s released, PIM is the best part of Palm OS. Some may say PIM of both PPC and Palm OS are looked very similiar, but actually they are different. If I list all them down, this post will become a thesis.

3, "Search" feature in Palm OS is much more effective than PPC. Once your PDA has 3 years calendar entris, thousand of memos, you will know what I am saying.

Decision making now:

1, If you are looking for MP3 player, just get yourself an iPod.
2, If you want a portable storage, buy yourself a flash drive or external hard drive.
3, If you want to play video files, buy yourself a Portable Media Player.
4, If you want a Digital Camera with you, buy yourself a digital camera, even the worst one in the market is better than any Palm OS except Sony clie NZ90.
5, If want to have gadget to play, buy as much as you can, as long as you like it.
6, If you are a heavy paper diary user, Palm OS maybe a very good replacement.
7, If you want all-in-one solution, mobile+PDA, Treo 650 or SE P900/910 is good choice.
8, Don&#39;t ever think about word processing or spreadsheet on PDA, it&#39;s very conveniet to view them on PDA but not editing.

Arkhum_Eramak
16th May 2005, 10:26 PM
hey, I&#39;ve been word processing on my Tungsten | W Handheld (a Palm OS machine).

Word processing rocks on these things, especially if you have gamers thumbs like me.

If not, maybe don&#39;t go for it...

Spreadsheeting sucks big time though, yeah

Palm OS all the way, I can&#39;t even figure out the interface on the PPC machine at Harvey Norman...at Least you don&#39;t need to &#39;learn&#39; Palm OS because it is so easy to navigate it doesn&#39;t require you to ever think.

Palm OS rocks. Don&#39;t buy a Tungsten | W (unless you want mine :P )

downsys
16th May 2005, 11:06 PM
can&#39;t answer about pocketmac, but i reckon the LifeDrive (said to be released in 2 days time - Thursday 18th) or Treo 650 will be great. but simon&#39;s advice is good.

however, bear in mind that microsoft has just announced Windows Mobile 5.0 whilst PalmOne&#39;s latest OS 5 upgrade is still buggy even after many months of the release of T5. also, PocketPC now has an emulator that will allow you to run most Palm software. sorta like Virtual PC on mac, but better performance.

Johnny Appleseed
16th May 2005, 11:44 PM
Wasn&#39;t Palm created by ex-Newton engineers? So it has Apple design in its DNA. I always felt Palm OS was purpose-built for a handheld, whereas PocketPC tried to take the desktop Windows OS and shoehorn it into a PDA.

simonpeng
16th May 2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Arkhum_Eramak@May 16 2005, 10:26 PM
hey, I&#39;ve been word processing on my Tungsten | W Handheld (a Palm OS machine).

Word processing rocks on these things, especially if you have gamers thumbs like me.

If the PDA is with keyboard then it&#39;s much better. I have treo 650 with myself, I enjoy using it for sms and take quick note by typing. But it is not a good experience if you are using it to write an essay or someting like that.

I believe you use Tungsten W for word processing but I think you can&#39;t finalise it on Tungsten W if you need to print it, and just try to write a 2000 word essay on it, I think you will prefer PC/MAC, don&#39;t you.

Sometimes I use it to draft my letter or something with 200~300 words, but more beyond that I will use PC and now is MAC.

PDA will be a great tool if you can fully use it, BUT it will also become a waste if you just bought it and left in drawer. Some of my friends just bought and it became useless and end up selling it cheap in ebay or just left in drawer.

BTW, if you think about gaming. Just buy NDS or PSP.

simonpeng
17th May 2005, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Appleseed@May 16 2005, 11:44 PM
Wasn&#39;t Palm created by ex-Newton engineers? So it has Apple design in its DNA. I always felt Palm OS was purpose-built for a handheld, whereas PocketPC tried to take the desktop Windows OS and shoehorn it into a PDA.
The creator and founder is Jeff Hawkin and another person I forgot the name but they have nothing to do with MAC&#39;s Newton. His concept when designing Palm Pilot is "KISS", Keep It Simple and Stupid, and have a great success.

I bought a Newton Messege Pad from ebay before, it&#39;s a very amazing PDA, far more advanced than any PDA you can find even in the current market. Of course the current model are all coloured monitor, higher speed of CPU, larger ram, better battery. Since there is a lot of MAC user here, I think most of you will agree with me, it&#39;s not about hardware, it&#39;s the software matters.

smithster
17th May 2005, 01:37 AM
I use PPC, never had too many errors, unusual for MS: I&#39;ve only had to do about 6 resets in 3 years. given that the palm never needed a reset at all&#33; But the Palm was an old v series and I wanted colour.

There&#39;s a dearth of software available for both, basically the PPC looks prettier and i had a M&#036; machine at work&#33;

I&#39;d have problems with a combined phone/PDA &#39;cause I find I&#39;m checking diary and phone numbers etc. whilst talking on the phone. (arranging stuff, checking dates or finding numbers etc.)

I&#39;m about to try pocketmac, (waiting for the rego code&#33;) but never had a problem with PPC talking to mac on missingsync. (USB or bluetooth)

downsys
17th May 2005, 01:44 AM
dude,
KiSS stands for Keep it Simple, Stupid. not keep it simple and stupid :P. hehe. sounds funny though.

simonpeng
17th May 2005, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by smithster@May 17 2005, 01:37 AM
I use PPC, never had too many errors, unusual for MS: I&#39;ve only had to do about 6 resets in 3 years. given that the palm never needed a reset at all&#33; But the Palm was an old v series and I wanted colour.

There&#39;s a dearth of software available for both, basically the PPC looks prettier and i had a M&#036; machine at work&#33;

I&#39;d have problems with a combined phone/PDA &#39;cause I find I&#39;m checking diary and phone numbers etc. whilst talking on the phone. (arranging stuff, checking dates or finding numbers etc.)

I&#39;m about to try pocketmac, (waiting for the rego code&#33;) but never had a problem with PPC talking to mac on missingsync. (USB or bluetooth)
Amazingly you only have 6 reset in 3 years, are you saying hard reset or soft reset? When I use Toshiba e570 and e740, sometimes the program just freeze for no reason so I force it to reset quite often.

PPC looks prettier?? I doubt that, the pixel is larger than Palm for the most current model unless you are saying 480*640 resolution. The TFT screen of clie and after Tungsten T series are all very sharp and good base on my experience.

Combined phone has a feature, you can use PDA when talking as long as you are using hands-free or bluetooth earphone. I even use sms when talking on the phone. Bugme, memo, address, calendar can all working when using the phone provide you are using hands free. Once you try treo 650 once, you would not want to go back. :thumbup:

@downsys, thanks for correction. :lol:

harps
17th May 2005, 08:08 AM
To get my palm to sync with my Mac required no additional software other than what came in the box&#33;
Palm Hotsync syncs the palm seamlessly to Entourage, iCal & Address (via iSync) and with Word & Excel files through Documents to Go.
Palm Launcher enables PDF&#39;s, JPG&#39;s & MP3&#39;s to be downloaded to the palm via simple drop and drag method.
I know Mysing Sync, etc type products are available but the basic in the box HotSync does the job with no problems for palm, unlike Pocket PC which requires additional software to work.

Arkhum_Eramak
17th May 2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by simonpeng@May 16 2005, 11:53 PM

I believe you use Tungsten W for word processing but I think you can&#39;t finalise it on Tungsten W if you need to print it, and just try to write a 2000 word essay on it, I think you will prefer PC/MAC, don&#39;t you.

I have written a 10,000 word essay on my Tungsten | W, done the formatting and printed it via Printboy - all from my PDA. I can&#39;t stand typing at a QWERTY keyboard (mostly because I cant touchtype) but as I said, I&#39;m a gamer, and quickly learned to touchtype with my thumbs. I can now type faster on my Tungsten | W than I can on my iBook. Maybe I&#39;m just a freak, but it can be done&#33; I was just saying, but yeah, I totally did all my College work and currently am doing my Stage Production Certificate on my Tungsten | W. The handy thing about it is that I can pull it out, type and if we have to do anything, I can put it in one of my deep deep pockets and 1. Not have to lug around my laptop and 2. Not have to worry about it being stolen whilst I&#39;m on the grid. (as well as being a Palm handheld and being a resilient little bugger...I&#39;ve fallen on it and its fine&#33; Except for a little crack below the screen).

So to add to my original Post, pa1mOne handhelds also seem to be invincible (that may be an important factor for you - I know it is for me)

simonpeng
17th May 2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Arkhum_Eramak@May 17 2005, 09:52 AM

I have written a 10,000 word essay on my Tungsten | W, done the formatting and printed it via Printboy - all from my PDA. I can&#39;t stand typing at a QWERTY keyboard (mostly because I cant touchtype) but as I said, I&#39;m a gamer, and quickly learned to touchtype with my thumbs. I can now type faster on my Tungsten | W than I can on my iBook.
Wow, that&#39;s pretty amazing you can do that. So Tungsten W is a really worthwhile investment for you.

So it&#39;s obviously that Palm is the better choice. :)

decryption
17th May 2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Arkhum_Eramak@May 17 2005, 09:52 AM

I have written a 10,000 word essay on my Tungsten | W
Yes, you are a bloody freak&#33;
Typing with your thumbs, shit...

iMamacman
26th January 2006, 05:39 PM
I am interested in a "1 gadget does it all" type Pda/phone and found a lot of good info in this thread.

Just wondering if any have had experiences with GPS and Navigation type programs that can be added to a Pda type device. i think some of these are available as Add-In car type holders. Or maybe there is a company that has a Built in one?
i like the idea of an All-in-one PDA that,
1) Is a mobile Phone
2) Plays All my Music
3) Stores all my PIM contacts,notes Calendar etc.
4) Navigation and GPS (in car)
ehhmmm,,, thats about it ,, not into the Camera or Office applications (word etc) so much

But must sync and work well with apple iMac of course.

Would be great here any advise/experiences from anyone who&#39;s looked into this.

MacMatt
26th January 2006, 06:54 PM
Funny enough, I have just brought a Palm Z22, ... very basic, ... fairly easy to use. Many Pros, Many Cons. But I couldn&#39;t bring myself to buy a PocketPC/iPaq etc...

Sync is nice, ... but multiple icals or categories are not supported, ... which for me was a huge con.

mostly very happy, my first PDA, looking forward to seeing where these things go in the coming years in terms of features...

MM

pipsqeek
26th January 2006, 10:44 PM
Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but Palm have said that their PDA&#39;s in the near future will have a versions of Windows running on them.

Not sure when, but they are abandoning their own OS and using the evil empire&#39;s.

Hopefully the developers that are trying to get Linux working on the Palms properly get stuck into it.

Besides the better connectivity to OS X, I just like the PalmOS better. Now that this news has hit me, I&#39;m not sure who to like anymore. :(

Cheers
pips

goldcoaster
26th January 2006, 11:01 PM
I have had a pocket pc for years. Never had problems syncing, losing data or anything others have mentioned up further - I am guessing they hav not owned one. Mine has been so reliable friends have bought them as well, over Palms.

Most Palms except for the very latest never had wi-fi. And I have read a few reports on the lifedrive HD failing (plus poor battery life) - including a family member who lost all his data that was on the drive (no backup, silly). SD cards are not that expensive now days anyway.

designers_hub
26th January 2006, 11:55 PM
i reckon the Mini HD PDAs are not worth it because as you said SD cards are pretty reasonable in price now.

your better off getting a normal PDA (which has all the functions of the lifedrive) and then just add a 1gig, 2gig or 4 gig SD card.

i think that the Pocket PC OS looks nice compared to the Palm OS. But the Palm OS is more productive, cleaner in design, simple etc (according to the cnet review).

luke_in_tas
27th January 2006, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Jan 26 2006, 10:44 PM
Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but Palm have said that their PDA&#39;s in the near future will have a versions of Windows running on them.

Not sure when, but they are abandoning their own OS and using the evil empire&#39;s.

Hopefully the developers that are trying to get Linux working on the Palms properly get stuck into it.

Besides the better connectivity to OS X, I just like the PalmOS better. Now that this news has hit me, I&#39;m not sure who to like anymore. :(

Cheers
pips
Palm have already released the Treo 700w (http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo700w/) in the US, which operates using Microsoft&#39;s Windows Mobile 5, but Palm are not replacing the PalmOS on their future devices with Windows Mobile. Their announced plans are to continue making handhelds and smartphones that use both operating systems.

MacMatt
sync is nice, ... but multiple icals or categories are not supported, ... which for me was a huge con.
Have you had a look at mark/space&#39;s (http://www.markspace.com/) The Missing Sync for Palm OS (http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_palmos.php)? It will sync multiple calendars in iCal to calendar categories on your Palm, as well as categories for contacts and memos.

mini2
27th January 2006, 03:24 PM
My 2 cents - Palm seems like a quicker (or should I say, more responsive) unit than the PocketPC. Then again, looks like there&#39;s more software out there for the PocketPC. From my own experience, I find the Palm an easier thing to live with as well as inputing text into it without popping the keyboard out and hack it in.