PDA

View Full Version : iPhone + Car stereo

The_Hawk
7th January 2009, 08:40 AM
It's not exactly another one of "those" threads, but a question about the pinout on the iPhone/iPod connector.

If this is the standard pinout:
Apple iPod and iPhone dock interfaces pinout and signals @ pinouts.ru (http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml)

Am I reading it right when I say that car head units (along with every other iPod speaker set) simply use the pin outs for analog sound but allow data to pass to the unit allowing track info and iPod control??

When plugging in my iPhone to the current Pioneer DEH-P5950IB in the wifes car it says it's not supported, charging will not work and would I like to turn on Aeroplane mode to reduce interference??

From my readings it seems charging might be on the firewire pin, which isn't compatible with the iPhone, so I'll pay that and being a mobile near a head unit changing base stations causes the meh meh meh meh meh meh sound we all know and love.

But to the point, besides the control features (which are nice and all) it seems there is no benefit getting a head unit that is iPod/iPhone compatible over using a line in since thats all your getting anyway??

Right now I am using a 3.5mm line in jack, but something like this would allow charging (since it has a permanent power line), my handsfree through the car speakers should continue to work, and I would have a nice permanently mounted solution with a single [visible] cable...
(if the iPhone could drop brightness and keep the screen turned on while on a dock AND playing music it would make control that much easier...)
Carcomm Apple iPhone 3G In Car Mobile Phone Cradle (CMIC-102) - Organiser World Australia (http://www.ow.com.au/shop/iPhone-Car-Accessories-Car-kit-holders/Carcomm-Apple-iPhone-3G-In-Car-Mobile-Phone-Cradle)

Anyone care to disagree and point me in another direction?

The_Hawk
9th January 2009, 01:18 PM
So no information?

Aladdin
9th January 2009, 08:45 PM
Some current iPod speaker units do not support iPhones. I do not know what the difference is.

There must be something within the dock connector system which recognizes whether the device is an iPod or iPhone.

A dock connector into the head unit will be the most elegant, coz you'll get power, analog sound and data in one cable. However, the sound output diverts to phone speaker when the phone rings and the dock connector audio output is muted and paused for the duration of the phone call.

NORMANDY
4th November 2009, 06:55 PM
I thought I would start this thread up again.

Looking at new units for my car to support iphone connectivity.

what do people recommend?

opilot87
4th November 2009, 07:22 PM
I thought I would start this thread up again.

Looking at new units for my car to support iphone connectivity.

what do people recommend?

Look at the Alpine media centres. They go without a CD player, which at first thought I thought it was crazy, but then I realised I only ever listen to my ipod and occasionally the radio anyway, can't remember the last time I used the CD player.

They have USB connection for any flash drive or hard disk with music, and are also specifically 'made for ipod' and a few 'made for iphone' models.

They allow full control of the ipod through the player, with a screen for artwork etc. Some have bluetooth for handsfree calling also.

The alpine IDA-X305 seems like a very nice unit, had a quick squiz in the store the other day too, and can probably be had for around $500 if you look or bargain hard enough.

Ollie

Alpine Electronics of Australia (http://www.alpine.com.au/products/index.asp?section=1&subsection=8)

grfxninja
4th November 2009, 07:33 PM
I second the Alpine recommendation. I bought an Alpine unit though this is an earlier one that doesn't "officially" support the iPhone - bought it before I had an iPhone, so didn't think about it at the time…
It will still play music/podcasts etc but won't charge the iPhone. Other than that, while the interface isn't exactly iPod/iPhone-like the controls work similar for choosing songs etc so it was fairly natural to me to use. I just have a normal iPod shoved in the glovebox which works well for me.

Occasionally I plug the iPhone in to listen to a podcast but I haven't tried to see if the phone part works. There is a phone button on the Alpine unit, but as I say, I haven't tried it.

I would imagine newer units would have full support for the iPhone and if I have to buy again, I will definitely going with an Alpine unit

vid
22nd May 2010, 01:34 PM
This topic goes back a while but seemed like one that is "sort of" relevant to my question.
I looked at a belkin product in officeworks that seems to plug in to the lighter jack and then is able to play your iPod/Phone through FM on the car radio
F8Z441 Belkin TuneBase FM with Hands-Free (http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=492841)

Has anyone got one of these or a similar product and if so what are they like?

Thanks, Vid