PDA

View Full Version : Geotagging photos without a geotagging camera?

Goodbye
7th January 2009, 07:56 AM
Hi there,
Are there any third-party systems for applying GPS coordinates to photos taken without a geotagging camera? Probably heading off to Thailand soon and this feature would be really handy to have for my D60!

Thanks!

benb
7th January 2009, 08:18 AM
I was thinking of getting one of these: ATP GPS PhotoFinder (http://www.atpinc.com/p2-4a.php?sn=00000257)

Either that or get iPhoto '09 and do it all manually...

palais
7th January 2009, 08:43 AM
You can get a gps logger, something like an I-got-u, sorry, no link I'm on my iPhone. you basically run the logger while you take photos and it records your position every 5 seconds or so. then when you get home you use software to marry up the exif data on your camera with the coordinates from the logger.

Exocet
7th January 2009, 10:21 AM
Wasn't there a geotagging SD-Card released?

spargo
7th January 2009, 10:52 AM
Hi there,
Are there any third-party systems for applying GPS coordinates to photos taken without a geotagging camera? Probably heading off to Thailand soon and this feature would be really handy to have for my D60!

Thanks!

Do you think you'll be going anywhere that won't be identifiable afterwards on Google Earth/Maps, and taggable in Flickr??

If you're absolutely desperate to get the coordinates of where you are while off the beaten track, then take your car GPS with you and add a waypoint

Surely there's more important things to worry about while on the road then geotagging photos on the spot (like, actually enjoying being there????)? If necessary, I've always been able to look back and find locations on Google Earth after the fact.

leon
7th January 2009, 10:55 AM
My idea will be to use the wife's iPhone 3G to take a single shot in the area that I am in. Then use my camera to take the real shots. When I upload the pictures, hopefully the iPhone will have co-ordinates in the meta-data which I can then copy over to my other images.

Do you have an iPhone 3G? Hopefully it will get GPS co-ordinates in Thailand without having to rely on a data connection.

fompsweeva
7th January 2009, 10:55 AM
It'd only be good if absolutely seamless.

Goodbye
7th January 2009, 10:56 AM
It's not that I'll be "worrying" about not having the photos geotagged, just that it'd be a cool thing to be able to use should something be available that was easy to use, and not too expensive. It's not such a big deal if I can't get something.

tcn33
7th January 2009, 10:59 AM
Wasn't there a geotagging SD-Card released?

Kind of (http://www.eye.fi/services/geotagging/) but not really.

Mikey D
7th January 2009, 11:01 AM
I've geotagged using the interface from flickr which works well, though it's a bit tedious if you've been around alot.

On the other hand, using airme on the iphone takes the photo, geotags it, and uploads it. I'd love to have something like that in a proper camera... maybe an extension to eyeFi is in order :)

spargo
7th January 2009, 11:05 AM
It's not that I'll be "worrying" about not having the photos geotagged, just that it'd be a cool thing to be able to use should something be available that was easy to use, and not too expensive. It's not such a big deal if I can't get something.

Fair play. My suggestion, and this is something that I'll be doing in retrospect once I get iLife '09, is (if this is actually possible in the new app, I'm assuming here!) to select an event that was shot in a similar area/locality, and then use 'Places' to tag it as being taken in, say, Siena when I took a heap there in August.

Some other travels where I've been moving along quite quickly within the same 'Event' will require more work, but generally you should be able to find them in Google Earth/Maps after the fact and tag it all then. If you shot photos at say a major event, it will be easy to select a whole event and drop a tag at say your own house for xmas day (or similar).

I've already trialled this in Flickr for where the Pro took my wedding photos around Brisbane - it seemed to work back then and allowed out-of-towners to see where the shots were taken. I assume iPhoto 09 will be similar..

This will be my method of choice until my next camera comes with a GPS built-in and is automated to tag images.

griffmiester
7th January 2009, 11:10 AM
I know it's a Manual way of doing it... but I normally use this in Flickr to update the location of photos.
Sumaato Labs: Localize Bookmarklet - Map Your Flickr Photos (http://labs.sumaato.net/tools/flickr_geocode_bookmarklet/)

stevejay
7th January 2009, 11:33 AM
Surely there's more important things to worry about while on the road then geotagging photos on the spot (like, actually enjoying being there????)? If necessary, I've always been able to look back and find locations on Google Earth after the fact.

+1

benb
7th January 2009, 12:11 PM
The Photo Finder looks to be a simple solution and it is only $AUD148 (see this link (http://www.borge.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=15295)) From the ATP website:

The ATP Photo Finder™ calculates and records GPS position data and allows you to precisely track the exact location and time of where your pictures were taken. Activate the PhotoFinder™ while you're taking pictures with your digital camera.

After you finish taking pictures, simply insert your SD, Memory Stick or MMC memory card into the PhotoFinder's built-in card slot and the GPS data will be synchronized and added to all pictures on the card.

Currently I use a custom Applescript with iPhoto '08 to tag my photos. For most places it is ok, however it is very dependent on the Google Maps coverage and me remembering where the photos were taken (which gets tricky after several weeks of holidays). It also can take a bit of time to tag photos.

I was thinking of getting the Photo Finder as it looks convenient and not being reliant on my memory. Still, I think I will see how the iPhoto '09 tagging stacks up before getting one.

Taezar
7th January 2009, 12:48 PM
Sony has a little gizmo that records the gps as you take the photo then links back to google earth.
Nice little toy that.
T

decryption
7th January 2009, 12:50 PM
D90 + GPS unit = as seamless as it gets :D

You really want something that hooks up to the camera and writes the co-ordinates to the EXIF data, that way there's no extra steps or chances of the times and locations being incorrect.

Can't wait to grab a GPS unit and have my photos from now on geotagged. I wonder if Aperture will get these features soon (I use Aperture as my main photo system - iPhoto is just for happy snaps)

toholio
7th January 2009, 01:45 PM
Do you think you'll be going anywhere that won't be identifiable afterwards on Google Earth/Maps, and taggable in Flickr??

Accuracy is important sometimes. 200m can be the difference between finding that awesome rock face again and finding a shabby picnic table.

Geocaching has taught me this. :)

I've tried manually geotagging photos after walking though large parks and bits of forest but it's often quite hard to get them right. I don't want to know which forest things are in I want to know where in the forests they are.

If you're absolutely desperate to get the coordinates of where you are while off the beaten track, then take your car GPS with you and add a waypoint

Way too much effort involved. And cars GPSs will keep tryin to stick the coordinates back onto roads and paths.

Surely there's more important things to worry about while on the road then geotagging photos on the spot (like, actually enjoying being there????)?

Exactly! Which is why something that can do the geotagging for you is such a great idea...

DaveOZ
7th January 2009, 01:50 PM
D90 + GPS unit = as seamless as it gets :D

but boy is it expensive. Shame you can't enter the co-ordinates from the menu, then I could just read them from my iPhone when I need them.

decryption
7th January 2009, 01:53 PM
but boy is it expensive. Shame you can't enter the co-ordinates from the menu, then I could just read them from my iPhone when I need them.

Can import a GPS unit for $350 or so. A small price to pay for convenience (if you have a camera compatible with the GPS unit that is). Would be a stab in the buttocks to put your camera down, whip out the iPhone, grab the co-ords, pain-stakingly go to the menu in your camera and use the D-pad to enter in almost 15 characters. Over, and over and over (imagine if you take 500 photos in a day).

scokim
7th January 2009, 02:10 PM
All photos taken by iPhone 3G are geotagged automatically I believe.

decryption
7th January 2009, 02:11 PM
All photos taken by iPhone 3G are geotagged automatically I believe.

That's correct - as long as you tap "Yes allow location services" when it pops up. or set it to be on permanently in the settings.

Exocet
7th January 2009, 02:11 PM
Yes, and the photos that are taken are also terrible :P

leon
7th January 2009, 02:36 PM
Yes, and the photos that are taken are also terrible :P

Which is why the iPhone is perfect for taking the first picture on a location so you get the co-ordinates, then you switch to your real camera.
Move to another location, rinse and repeat.

tcn33
7th January 2009, 02:41 PM
Or use one of the geotagging apps on the App Store to log a series of locations, then export and match to your photos.

http://ax.search.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/search?entity=software&media=all&submit=seeAllLockups&term=geotagging

Lutze
7th January 2009, 02:48 PM
Once the new location systems kick off properly then things will get even more accurate - cause lets face it - current GPS sucks balls for accuracy.

The European consumer GPS system (as compared to the current US military version that is gimped by default) is going to be a lot more accurate - and finding the right place will be a lot easier. It may also work out to be cheaper - if that's the case then expect to find more dSLR and standard digital cameras appear with their own built in system. Should be along before the end of 2010.

Aperture can currently accept GPS location data in the EXIF file - though I'm not sure how well it works.

jeremy_warnock
7th January 2009, 02:53 PM
I bought one of these about 6 months ago for $65 it works great

Amod AGL3080 GPS Data Logger (SiRF III, Driverless, 128MB, Push to Log) (Windows and Mac Compatible) - GPS Data Logger (http://www.semsons.com/amaggpsdalos.html)

Bart Smastard
7th January 2009, 03:06 PM
I must admit it would be nice to know the exact location of the photos I shot in Venice, so many little lanes, bridges and canals I have just tagged most of them as "Venice" in my Picasa Web Album.

kevinnugent
7th January 2009, 03:09 PM
I must admit it would be nice to know the exact location of the photos I shot in Venice, so many little lanes, bridges and canals I have just tagged most of them as "Venice" in my Picasa Web Album.

Yes, same here Bart. We shot over 6,000 shots between us (my wife and I) over the past couple of months and sometimes it's hard to say exactly where they are.

forgie
7th January 2009, 03:18 PM
Does someone have a list of cameras that currently have built-in GPS geo-tagging?

~Coxy
7th January 2009, 04:11 PM
Once the new location systems kick off properly then things will get even more accurate - cause lets face it - current GPS sucks balls for accuracy.

The European consumer GPS system (as compared to the current US military version that is gimped by default) is going to be a lot more accurate - and finding the right place will be a lot easier. It may also work out to be cheaper - if that's the case then expect to find more dSLR and standard digital cameras appear with their own built in system. Should be along before the end of 2010.

Aperture can currently accept GPS location data in the EXIF file - though I'm not sure how well it works.

GPS accuracy is perfectly fine and free to use as it is. Receiver chips cost extremely little and a standalone data logger with a good antenna, bluetooth, 30 hours on an included lithium battery and 32000 data points can be had for $90 or so.

iPhones may be inaccurate, especially in buildings. My GPS regular gets HDOP between 1 and 3 metres.

Lutze
7th January 2009, 05:00 PM
The US military (who own the GPS system) have refused to make the publicly available GPS System that accurate - the idea being that then naughty people can't create bombs that go off when they arrive at a place.

So saying that your gps is accurate to 1m - 3m is more luck than judgement.

iCarllovesapple
7th January 2009, 05:04 PM
Hi there,

Thanks!

The New iLife '09 iPhoto will allow GPS location tracker.... It has been released today but it wont be available until Feb.

jeremy_warnock
7th January 2009, 05:09 PM
The New iLife '09 iPhoto will allow GPS location tracker.... It has been released today but it wont be available until Feb.

Goodbye was asking about hardware, there are already a few systems like Aperture & Geotaggers that let you do what iPhoto does, but with the hardware its a pian in the butt.

My Amod does a very good job at logging gps details, that I can the load into aperture and I guess now iphoto 09 when its released

~Coxy
7th January 2009, 05:21 PM
The US military (who own the GPS system) have refused to make the publicly available GPS System that accurate - the idea being that then naughty people can't create bombs that go off when they arrive at a place.

So saying that your gps is accurate to 1m - 3m is more luck than judgement.

Accurate GPS was made public after 2000.

GPS includes a (currently disabled) feature called Selective Availability (SA) that can introduce intentional, slowly changing random errors of up to a hundred meters (328 ft) into the publicly available navigation signals...
Prior to being turned off, SA typically added signal errors of up to about 10 meters (32 ft) horizontally and 30 meters (98 ft) vertically...
In the 1990s, the FAA started pressuring the military to turn off SA permanently... The amount of error added was "set to zero"[38] at midnight on May 1, 2000 following an announcement by U.S. President Bill Clinton, allowing users access to the error-free L1 signal.

..the advancement of technology means that today, civilian GPS fixes under a clear view of the sky are on average accurate to about 5 meters (16 ft) horizontally.

Taezar
7th January 2009, 05:55 PM
This is the little toy I was talking about before for Sony Cameras.
SONY - Australia - Product GPSCS1KA (http://www.sony.com.au/dis/dis/catalog/product.jsp?id=GPSCS1KA&section=prod&term=gps)

jppat
7th January 2009, 06:50 PM
Goodbye was asking about hardware, there are already a few systems like Aperture & Geotaggers that let you do what iPhoto does, but with the hardware its a pian in the butt.

My Amod does a very good job at logging gps details, that I can the load into aperture and I guess now iphoto 09 when its released

i am thinking about buying an amod AGL3080. I actually have a few questions about them if you don't mind me asking...
are you happy with it?
what program do you use to tag your photos with the gps meta data?
do you ever have any problems in 'time shifting' so that photos are time stamped correctly?
what mode/frequency do you use it on? 1sec, 5sec 10sec etc

benb
7th January 2009, 06:56 PM
Does Aperture allow you to import the GPS log file to update your images or do you have to pre-process them? From what I can see on the Apple site iPhoto '09 won't do this, you will have to pre-process your images. Does the Amod come with software for this?

jppat
7th January 2009, 07:23 PM
Does Aperture allow you to import the GPS log file to update your images or do you have to pre-process them? From what I can see on the Apple site iPhoto '09 won't do this, you will have to pre-process your images. Does the Amod come with software for this?

Yeah it comes with a program called JetPhoto Studio.
I have been doing a bit of research on them though, and their is one called Photo GPS Editor that looks quite good. I downloaded it and did a little test with their preview files and it was all quite easy.

The only confusing bit is the time shifting!

jeremy_warnock
7th January 2009, 07:37 PM
i am thinking about buying an amod AGL3080. I actually have a few questions about them if you don't mind me asking...
are you happy with it?
what program do you use to tag your photos with the gps meta data?
do you ever have any problems in 'time shifting' so that photos are time stamped correctly?
what mode/frequency do you use it on? 1sec, 5sec 10sec etc

Very happy with it and its price

I use Ovolab Geophoto for tagging it can load both iphoto and aperture libraries so there so need to export it adds the tags directory to you images

Never had any time shifting issues that I can recall, I have at times not set my camera clock when in a different time zone - geophotos can correct the time

I use it on its default of 10 seconds never had a reason to change.

My one issue is it uses 3 AAA batteries not a huge issue byt the have gone flat on me before, now I just carry spares all is fine

mbd
7th January 2009, 08:26 PM
There's an iPhone app called Geologtag which appears to let you use the iPhone to record the location and then sync up the GPS data with photos you post to flickr. At the moment you need to upload your pics and the geologtag data to flickr to do the geotagging, but since flickr syncs back to iPhoto 09, it may do the job.

Assuming of course that you have an iPhone already :)

kristian
7th January 2009, 08:33 PM
I use gps loggers as when I'm abroad as I can't be fucked trying to remember where the photos are taken. I bought a Qstar GPS logger which tracks my location throughout the day. At the end of the day, I sync it with my photos via date/time.

mbd
8th January 2009, 08:47 AM
Just to follow up a bit on my previous post, TUAW has done a blog post about devices that you can use with macs to do post-shot geotagging here: Hardware that supports iPhoto '09's geotagging - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) (http://www.tuaw.com/2009/01/07/hardware-that-supports-iphoto-09s-geotagging/)

Additionally, I contacted the author of GeoLogTag for the iPhone to see if they would be releasing a version that allowed you to interface more directly to iPhoto 09 (without the need to go via Flickr). They wrote back saying "It's already on my (long) list of possible features, but I cannot make any promises. The only thing I can tell is that it will not be for the near future."

leon
10th January 2009, 07:02 AM
This was mentioned in the user comments of the TUAW link above, but Eye-Fi now have geotagging in their Explore SD card.
Eye-Fi, Inc. Online Store - Upload photos automatically from your digital camera to your Mac or PC computer, Wireless Photo Uploads, Photo Sharing, Memory Card, Wifi Memory Card, Wireless Memory Card, Unlimited Geotagging - Eye-Fi (http://store.eye.fi/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=eyefisub&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE&productID=106190800)

EDIT: It isn't GPS, but rather uses the Skyhook wireless network map to made a "pseudo-GPS like" interpretation of your location.
Useless really.

aafuss
10th January 2009, 08:34 AM
Is the Sony one Mac-friendly?

Japester
12th January 2009, 01:26 PM
Which is why the iPhone is perfect for taking the first picture on a location so you get the co-ordinates, then you switch to your real camera.
Move to another location, rinse and repeat.

I started doing this but when I discovered that I couldn't copy the GPS data from the iPhone photos to the camera photos, I gave up. I didn't want a bunch of bad photos in iPhoto that were only intended to be temporary. iPhoto 09 rectifies this, so this will probably be my initial solution.

Japester
12th January 2009, 01:52 PM
What concerns me is usability. Preferably, after a session, I would plug in camera or card reader and GPS and iPhoto would merge the two. I'm presuming that iPhoto will not do this. Second-best option would be to merge the data without a separate piece of software. Perhaps you can plug your SD card into the GPS and it would merge the data, so you only use iPhoto on the computer. Thoughts?

sillydog701
18th January 2009, 07:56 PM
Is the Sony one Mac-friendly?

The Sony GPS-CS1KASP?
No and Yes.

The bundled software (official software) does not run under Mac OS X, but you can run it under Parallels Desktop. (which is what I did.)

The good thing is you can read the GPS logs directly out of the device (on Leopard). There are third party applications allowing you to adding GPS to the photos.

taj
30th January 2009, 09:07 AM
I use the Phototrackr to log my entire journey (it has such a large memory and auto on/off based on movement that it logged my entire 3 week honeymoon without even reaching 50% full) then use the included software to store the co-ordinates in EXIF tags before importing into iPhoto. You can't tag after you import into iPhoto '08 as it doesn't re-read the EXIF tags unless you do a full library rebuild on thumbnails.
Not sure if iPhoto '09 will re-read EXIF GPS data as I haven't tried it yet.

GiSTEQ Corp. PhotoTrackr CD111 (http://www.gisteq.com/PhotoTrackr/PhotoTrackrCD111.php)

scritch
31st January 2009, 08:17 PM
I had just posted about the JOBO photoGPS receiver I just picked up here:
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/58/66321-jobo-photogps-hot-shoe-gps-receiver.html

Works well - not as seamless as the D90 & Nikon GPS that puts EXIF location data straight into the file, but not bad.

Regards,
Shane.

klif
13th February 2009, 02:57 PM
Anyone tried iTrail link (http://itrailr.googlepages.com/) yet?

The program itsels seems functional, but the developer doesn't seem to have a firm grasp of iPhone development yet, ie: ugly UI in places.

I tried to pair it with iTrail Desktop, the iPhone application said it found the desktop application, but not the other way around, so I was unable to export the geotag data from my test trails.

micaros
13th February 2009, 03:36 PM
Hi there,

Thanks!

It doesn't seem that anyone else has mentioned this (apologies if I missed it), but if you have a GPS data logger of some form (really basic ones were fairly cheap last time I looked), then you can use something like GPS Photo Linker to get the GPS data into your photos (it relies on matching/interpolating from the time stamps)...

Early Innovations | GPSPhotoLinker Overview (http://www.earlyinnovations.com/gpsphotolinker/)

bnut
15th February 2009, 09:30 PM
micaros, looks good - now all I need is the gps lol, the more photos I take without geotagging the more i'm going to have to go over when I have time and manually place. I'm sure the placement accuracy will drop off exponentially with time :/

Jaali
15th February 2009, 09:33 PM
JOBO AG international: photoGPS (http://www.jobo.com/web/photoGPS.447.0.html)

No idea if this has been suggested, or if it works with a D60, but worth looking at! :)

Lutze
15th February 2009, 10:04 PM
JOBO AG international: photoGPS (http://www.jobo.com/web/photoGPS.447.0.html)

No idea if this has been suggested, or if it works with a D60, but worth looking at! :)

Reviewed recently... JOBO photoGPS on Mac OSXbyshasam.net (http://www.shasam.net/archives/107/) (This is not my site... it's actually Scritch's (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/members/scritch/)

Dazzzz
23rd February 2009, 11:34 AM
Here is an inexpensive solution I learned about the other day listening to MacBreak Weekly (http://www.twit.tv/mbw) (Wiki (http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/MacBreak_Weekly_128)) and talked about on their Pick of the Week.

Here's what you need.
Any digital camera at all.
iPhone 3G
Trails (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=289190494&mt=8) $3.99 in the Australian App Store
HoudahGeo (http://www.houdah.com/houdahGeo/) normally $US30, use SCO0186 code (valid till Feb 28th) to get 20% discount (ends up being $AU38)

And here is an online video tutorial (Screencast). ScreenCastsOnline (http://www.screencastsonline.com/index_files/SCO0186-iphonegeo.php)

Simple summary:

Make sure the time on your camera and iPhone are the same.
Launch Trails (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=289190494&mt=8) and create a Track and hit record. (Make sure iPhone does not go to sleep)
Take photos.
Stop Trails (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=289190494&mt=8)
email gpx data to yourself.

Import photos to Mac, but not directly into iPhoto.

Use HoudahGeo (http://www.houdah.com/houdahGeo/) to select photos and import gpx data file to match up GeoData and save photos.

Import newly modified photos into iPhoto and now you have all of your photos with accurate GeoData.

Yes there are a few steps, but as my camera (Canon EOS 20D) does not have any supported GPS options, this works and works well.

I went down to Phillip Island yesterday and tried it out. I was at a number of locations throughout the day and started recording the tracks before taking my pics.

When I got home last night I merged the data and it was seemless.

Enjoy!!

Jaste
15th March 2009, 05:33 PM
HoudahGeo (http://www.houdah.com/houdahGeo/) normally $US30, use SCO0186 code (valid till Feb 28th) to get 20% discount (ends up being $AU38)

And here is an online video tutorial (Screencast). ScreenCastsOnline (http://www.screencastsonline.com/index_files/SCO0186-iphonegeo.php)

I just used the code then and it still works.

Darwiniandude
23rd March 2009, 03:47 PM
There is a free (Donations Requested) mac app called GPSPhotoLinker, I tried this last night and it works very well. Used GPS Motion X (most solid GPS app on iPhone) to record a trail, and emailed it to myself) Copied the photos off my camera onto the desktop, ran this app and gave it the trail file. Using the time each shot references with my trail position, it correctly tagged all my shots, then i dragged the folder into iPhoto. Works extremely well.