PDA

View Full Version : Sys Stat Widget Released

iSlayer
16th May 2005, 07:38 AM
Sys Stat allows you to view Memory Usage, Cpu Usage, Network Stats, Uptimes, Load averages and the top 3 process's from one simple widget

Availible at http://www.islayer.net

Insanely
16th May 2005, 09:21 AM
Sweet! I have been waiting for this!

noisypoppy
16th May 2005, 09:38 AM
is there a way to add CPU temp in there? would be handy

iSlayer
16th May 2005, 10:38 AM
nup.
not without illegally using the binary from "temperature monitor"

noisypoppy
16th May 2005, 10:44 AM
:(

mac_man_luke
16th May 2005, 11:50 AM
Love it!

iSlayer
17th May 2005, 08:15 AM
there was an update last night to include raw cpu useage stats

iSlayer
19th May 2005, 08:16 AM
Sys Stat 0.94 was released last night.
it now includes the ability to specify which stats are shown and includes a very simple memory usage graph

iSlayer
19th May 2005, 10:56 AM
forgot to add that there are major performance improvements with the latest version

sikosis
19th May 2005, 11:06 AM
thanks mate ... any chance you could add a version number to the back of the widget, just want to make sure I have the latest :thumbup:

edit: smilies wasn't working

iSlayer
19th May 2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by sikosis@May 19 2005, 12:06 PM
thanks mate ... any chance you could add a version number to the back of the widget, just want to make sure I have the latest
can do.
Marc and i came up with a plan to add a "check for update" feature to all of our widgets aswell.

internet
19th May 2005, 11:12 AM
good stuff, will get it when tiger goes on

marc
19th May 2005, 11:16 AM
Wow!

The new SysStat rocks!

iSlayer
19th May 2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by marc@May 19 2005, 12:16 PM
Wow!

The new SysStat rocks!
Sure does :)
its averaging 135 downloads an hour since its release on sunday aswell

sikosis
19th May 2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by islayer@May 19 2005, 11:10 AM
add a "check for update" feature to all of our widgets
yeh it's a pity apple didn't think ahead on that ...

iSlayer
20th May 2005, 12:33 PM
another update last night.
Fixed a bug with the uptime stats and a bug with process names.

iSlayer
27th May 2005, 09:21 AM
SysStat has been updated to version 2.1
Changes include
Added CPU usage graph
Added Virtual Memory Stats
Added Hard Drive Stats
Changes External IP source to improve loading times
Added Ability to control which Stats are shown
Added ability to hide widgets from Process Display

iSlayer.net (http://www.islayer.net)

http://www.islayer.net/widgets/graphics/screens/sysstat.png

marc
27th May 2005, 02:41 PM
SysStat is #3 on the Apple widget chart thing on the front page!!!!

http://www.obliquemusic.co.uk/forumimages/sysstat_number_3.png

We're working on some new features for the next version, including more skins.
More soon...

:D

964RSCS
27th May 2005, 03:24 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but these will only work with Tiger won't they?

I'm thinking so, but have used Konfabulator on Panther, so I have an element of doubt in my mind!

Cheers

marc
27th May 2005, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately, the simple answer is yes you need Tiger.

Some people have tried various hacks to get some of the widgets working on Panther with various levels of success.

king89
27th May 2005, 04:21 PM
Very handy and colorful is the SysStat Widget which display various system statistics. I like being able to see Green for available RAM.

Found this over at Tera Patricks (http://www.mac360.com/index.php/mac360/more/my_favorite_dashboard_widgets_why_and_why_not/). Keep up the good work guys, can't wait till I get tiger to try it out.

iSlayer
27th May 2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by king89@May 27 2005, 05:21 PM

Found this over at Tera Patricks (http://www.mac360.com/index.php/mac360/more/my_favorite_dashboard_widgets_why_and_why_not/). Keep up the good work guys, can't wait till I get tiger to try it out.
thanks for the link

Big_J
29th May 2005, 02:52 AM
Hey, I just noticed that the Sys Stat widget is sitting at #3 on Apple.com's "Top Third Party Downloads" chart!!! Also its on the "Hot Mac OS X Downloads" chart at #3!!!

This has to be one of the hottest widgets in the world right now! Good work guys! I tip my hat to you :D

iSlayer
29th May 2005, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Big_J@May 29 2005, 03:52 AM
Hey, I just noticed that the Sys Stat widget is sitting at #3 on Apple.com's "Top Third Party Downloads" chart!!! Also its on the "Hot Mac OS X Downloads" chart at #3!!!

This has to be one of the hottest widgets in the world right now! Good work guys! I tip my hat to you :D
Thankyou
SysStat has been succesful beyond our wildest dreams.
if you think its the best widget out there you can vote for it at http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/
you must be registered then when you go here http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/showcase/details.php?wid=415 you can vote for it to have a chance to win a mac mini

I am extreamly happy to report that there have been over 100,000 downloads of my widgets aswell.Averaging over 3400 a day

iSlayer
1st June 2005, 10:24 AM
There is another update on my site for SysStat.
its now a 1.0 release.

1.5 will come out sometime this week and will include major changes in the code.Cpu and Memory stats are live updating(every second).
One feature people keep asking for is live up/down network stats.
They have been added and they are Live aswelll(every second)

1.5 will include 3 new skins based off some of the AusTv colors

marc
1st June 2005, 10:52 AM
An updated version of the "classic" SysStat skin will also be included for those who'd prefer it.

mab
1st June 2005, 11:19 AM
How do I find out which version I'm running.

iSlayer
1st June 2005, 11:27 AM
if you click on the widget in the finder it will tell you.

macintoshrules
1st June 2005, 11:36 AM
Why not just ask the authors of Temperature Monitor if you can use their binary?

iSlayer
1st June 2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by macintoshrules@Jun 1 2005, 12:36 PM
Why not just ask the authors of Temperature Monitor if you can use their binary?
already did
they would not share
i was very dissapointed and annoyed because they have shared it several times before

marc
8th June 2005, 02:52 PM
Version 1.5 should be out tonight with all the listed new features... plus a few more extra bits!

iSlayer
8th June 2005, 03:04 PM
marc :)
now i have to work hard and try and get it ready.
i should having something to release tonight nowever i will be calling it 1.5 beta no matter what.

no doubt everyone who has downloaded the old version(all 130,000 of you) will love the new version.it really makes the current version look like crap.

iSlayer
10th June 2005, 08:15 AM
Status Update.

Version 1.5 has been delayed because of issues with asyncronous widget.system calls.
For those who have no idea what im talking about it, it simply means that when you need to call a terminal function such as top the command never ends until you tell it to.This gives widgets aot of power but it comes with one Major downside

widget.system calls are defined as javascript variables.
Because they generally dont end until you tell them to you end up with MAJOR issues if a use uses command+r to refresh a widget.
When a user does this you lose access to the variable and you can no longer end the command.

To get around this you can create a somewhat elaborate "kill" script but that is far from perfect.it can cause the widget to use alot of cpu if you kill it when a command is updating at the exact same time.
There is no solutaion to stop that either.

So what does this mean ?

It means i will release a version tonight or tomorrow.I will not officially support the command+r function.
If you choose to use it, its at your own risk more or less.

I have extensively tested the widget to ensure that you dont need to use command+r.
If something go's wrong its best to do a proper restart of the widget

Ive spent the last 10 days working on this problem and virtually nothing has come out of all that work.

My opinion is that apple should have not used javascript variables as they would have known this would happen.
Store the commands as dashboard variables and this would not be an issue

Anyway there will be a new version tonight or tomorrow with all the functionality i have mentioned before-----

-Live updating of CPU and Memory Stat's
-3 second updates of process list.
-3 second updates of hard drive stats
-2 second updates of network Stat
-Live updating of Load Averages
-1 minute updating of uptime
-Live bandwidth stats(data in/out per second)
-5 minute update of external ip(same as current version)
-Live updating of Page Ins/Outs and total Virtual Memory
-5 new skins
-Matching graphs for each new skin