PDA

View Full Version : Dropped Phone...eeep

Smartin
6th January 2009, 09:33 AM
Hi all - complete noob. Cant find too much in the threads.

Just dropped my 3g iphone (from around shoulder height) directly onto the road. The DLO Jam Jacket seems to have saved it from any external damage, however (cue, heartbreak), trying to start it only reveals a static white screen. Can reboot, but it only produces the same screen. Unable to receive calls. No insurance.

Is all hope lost???

mallo
6th January 2009, 09:38 AM
can it receive calls? the reason I ask, is if it can, then put insurance on it ASAP, for instance, if the headset that came with it, is plugged in, and someone calls you, can you still answer with the remote clicker on the headset?

PatrickH
6th January 2009, 09:40 AM
Something (obviously) was knocked loose internally.

Take it to get repaired somewhere. I'm not sure what's in Adelaide, but the best place to go would be where you bought the phone intially.

@mallo, they said that they couldn't recieve calls, just a static screen.

Smartin
6th January 2009, 09:53 AM
Something (obviously) was knocked loose internally.

Take it to get repaired somewhere. I'm not sure what's in Adelaide, but the best place to go would be where you bought the phone intially.

@mallo, they said that they couldn't recieve calls, just a static screen.

Thanks to you both. Yep, unable to receive anything (not a pleasant feeling when Voicemail kicks in). Will try the repair avenue, but from trawling through the forums that seems a) expensive and b) unlikely to help.

Open to any suggestions though :confused:

Cheers

PatrickH
6th January 2009, 09:57 AM
If you had an Apple store near you, you could of have it been looked at and given a quote for a repair.

Try looking for repair places near you and get a quote.

mallo
6th January 2009, 09:57 AM
Sorry mate, did read the post properly.

Give this a go, this guy had a review done on him in the age recently,

iPhone Repairs - PS3 Repairs - iPhone Doctor (http://www.iphonedoctor.com.au/)

He's based in Sydney but has a mail in service available.

Here is The Age story Phone addicts call in iDoctor - BizTech - Technology - theage.com.au (http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/biztech/phone-addicts-call-in-idoctor/2009/01/03/1231003886181.html)

Linux_insidev2
6th January 2009, 10:14 AM
One of two things

Hairline fracture on the LCD panel itself causing a faulire of the LCD which is more likely than the other option, which is that the plug has simply come loose.

PatrickH
6th January 2009, 10:19 AM
Hairline fracture on the LCD panel itself causing a faulire of the LCD which is more likely than the other option, which is that the plug has simply come loose.

Really? So any damage to the screen will cause it to go completely white?

Narooma
6th January 2009, 11:24 AM
Just take it to Apple and say it stopped working (which it did) and you'll walk out with a new one.

Smartin
6th January 2009, 11:35 AM
Just take it to Apple and say it stopped working (which it did) and you'll walk out with a new one.

...unfortunately in little ol' Adelaide, we're yet to get an Apple Retail Store our way & the other resellers don't want to know about it...

kogi
6th January 2009, 05:57 PM
Just dropped my 3g iphone (from around shoulder height) directly onto the road.

I did the same thing yesterday. Screen was dead, I shook it, reset a couple of times, then it came good. If it didn't I would have warrantied it.

kogi

foovo
6th January 2009, 06:32 PM
...unfortunately in little ol' Adelaide, we're yet to get an Apple Retail Store our way & the other resellers don't want to know about it...

Make an adventure of it. You could probably get a return flight with Virgin and a train into Sydney for under $250 to visit the Apple store and get some shiny new goodness - this could be a cheaper alternative. If they tell you to go jump - then at least you've had a fun day.

The_Hawk
7th January 2009, 08:25 AM
Take it back to the carrier you got it from and put it in under warranty, as long as there is no physical damage to the iPhone itself (which it sounds like there isn't) they have to cover it under the 12 month warranty. Just don't mention the drop...

Although when I think about it, voiding a warranty on a mobile phone for being dropped is a little wrong. These devices are made to be carried around, is it too much to expect they can withstand a drop or two?

iCarllovesapple
7th January 2009, 03:55 PM
Call them, tell them that the ringer switch (Silent button switchy thing) fell off. That is a hard ware fault and they must replace it. Tell them your iPhone is stuck on silent, and make sure you don't forget to tell them that you used no force at all. you went to push it down, and it popped out. Tell them that due to work commitments you are unable to send your phone into repair so you are forced to get an advanced replacement. It will cost you $39 but it is well worth it. =) I'm naughty!! lol

Narooma
7th January 2009, 06:30 PM
Call them, tell them that the ringer switch (Silent button switchy thing) fell off. That is a hard ware fault and they must replace it. Tell them your iPhone is stuck on silent, and make sure you don't forget to tell them that you used no force at all. you went to push it down, and it popped out. Tell them that due to work commitments you are unable to send your phone into repair so you are forced to get an advanced replacement. It will cost you $39 but it is well worth it. =) I'm naughty!! lol

And if your suggestion fails.....they will automatically deduct the cost of an iPhone from his credit card.