PDA

View Full Version : URGENT Importing Contacts form SIM to iPhone - URGENT!!

Jonno92
5th January 2009, 07:57 PM
Trying to transfer contacts from a friend's old crappy Nokia onto their new iPhone.. I copied them from the Nokia>SIM easily but when I 'Import SIM contacts' on iPhone it only importes about 8. I click Import 10 times and it still only imports those ones even though there are 100 contacts copied onto the SIM card..

What can I do? I don't have the nokia software. Are there any Cydia Apps I can use to do it?

Please help as they want to go hoooommmmeeee and I want to get rid of them lol jks

Thanks

jubilantjeremy
5th January 2009, 08:12 PM
Maybe the other contacts aren't being stored on the SIM, only on the Nokia's internal memory?

Tom125
5th January 2009, 08:22 PM
How old and crappy a Nokia? Most of the recent ones have some method of syncing, via usb cable or bluetooth. Do a sync and import into the Mac Address Book, then sync the iPhone. Don't recommend using the SIM method you describe as you'll either get multiple entries for the same person (home / work / mobils etc), or you'll lose stuff.

Jonno92
5th January 2009, 08:37 PM
It's only a few months old but it's just a $79 one or something.. It's a Nokia 2760 to be exact..
Nokia Australia - Nokia 2760 - All phones - Find products (http://www.nokia.com.au/A4519033)

Also, Im on a PC not a Mac..

Jonno92
5th January 2009, 08:40 PM
Also, I know it is copying to the SIM because when I try to copy more to the SIM card form the Nokia, it says it is full and it already has 100 contacts..

DeanCorp
5th January 2009, 08:42 PM
You need to set Auto Lock to Never. Now try again. All should copy.

bennyling
5th January 2009, 08:45 PM

Ah, thanks for the info.

Jonno92
5th January 2009, 08:46 PM

it never locked while copying contacts.. but I will try it in 1 min when it finishes syncing.. SOunds like a good idea though.. :-)

DeanCorp
5th January 2009, 08:55 PM
It will work. Trust me. I have done it plenty of times. If you set it to Auto Lock 1 Minute. After the 1 minute, it will stop.

Jonno92
5th January 2009, 08:58 PM
It will work. Trust me. I have done it plenty of times. If you set it to Auto Lock 1 Minute. After the 1 minute, it will stop.

It says 'Importing Contacts' for about 5 secs then stop.. It can't be because I have no service, could it?.. (yellowsn0w is still in beta :P)

DeanCorp
5th January 2009, 09:06 PM
Service Coverage is irrelevant.

Try and get hold of another mobile and try and import the SIM contacts onto that phone.

Exocet
5th January 2009, 09:31 PM
Import the contacts from the phone via Nokia PC Suite, and then onto the iPhone.

Jonno92
5th January 2009, 09:41 PM
Import the contacts from the phone via Nokia PC Suite, and then onto the iPhone.

dont have the cable lol.. Will have to find it tomorrow and do it tomorrow night.. :(

hopefully they will update yellowsn0w too because I have to restart about 10 times before it picks up signal with an AAPT SIM card..

Is anyone using an iPhone with TPG using yellowsn0w?.. My friends will have a TPG SIM in 2 days and just wondering if it will work better than AAPT..

thnx

Jonno92
5th January 2009, 09:43 PM

Also, how do I get them from NPCS to the iPhone?..

Tom125
5th January 2009, 10:01 PM
Try doing it through iSync and bluetooth. Not officially supported by Apple and you need to run a script, but instructions are here:

Nokia Series 40 iSync plugin post | James Lloyd (http://www.james-lloyd.com/2007/09/27/nokia-series-40-isync-plugin-post/)

I had an old Nokia before my iPhone and it worked perfectly. Sync to the Address Book using iSync and bluetooth, and then it's all there for the iPhone to sync using iTunes.

Exocet
6th January 2009, 11:56 AM
He doesn't have a Mac, he's using a PC.

Jonno - import into something like Outlook Express, and then export from Outlook Express to iPhone via iTunes.

Jonno92
6th January 2009, 04:49 PM
I don't have Bluetooth or Infrared on my PC.. And my friend can't find the cable for his Nokia!! ANy other way to do it?!

Exocet
6th January 2009, 05:25 PM
Get out a pen and paper.

jubilantjeremy
6th January 2009, 06:09 PM
Buy one of those $5 keychain SIM backup things?

Jonno92
6th January 2009, 06:30 PM
Buy one of those $5 keychain SIM backup things?

??? What's that?..

scritch
6th January 2009, 07:28 PM
I would suggest getting your hands on a phone with bluetooth that is supported by Mac OSX, putting the sim in that, using that phone's built-in "Copy to Phone memory" app and then syncing it with the Mac via iSync.

I haven't tried the SIM tool in the iPhone so if it's not working - I'd do as above.

Regards,
Shane.

Jonno92
6th January 2009, 10:15 PM
argh I tried another SIM card and the Nokia is copying the files over to both SIM cards.. However, when I click Import SIM contacts on the iPhone it pops up saying 'Importing SIM contacts' but for only about 2-3 seconds and then it goes away..

I think my best bet is to connect the nokia to the computer via Nokia PC Suite and then transfer the contacts to my iPhone.. Does anyone know how to do this on PC?.. (I need to get the cable first! :D)

Thanks

Exocet
7th January 2009, 07:47 AM
How many contacts are there? For the amount of effort you've gone through so far it may just be easier to type the contacts manually into Outlook and sync from there.

Jonno92
7th January 2009, 10:42 AM
How many contacts are there? For the amount of effort you've gone through so far it may just be easier to type the contacts manually into Outlook and sync from there.

183.. lol

Exocet
7th January 2009, 11:26 AM
Well you've now spent 48 hours dicking around with so far. Again, perhaps the easiest solution is just to get out your keyboard and start transcribing.

Jaffa
7th January 2009, 11:46 AM
Well you've now spent 48 hours dicking around with so far. Again, perhaps the easiest solution is just to get out your keyboard and start transcribing.

+1

Jonno92
7th January 2009, 03:54 PM
It appears the Nokia is copying the contacts over to the SIM cards but the iPhone isn't importing properly.. The auto-lock on the iPhone is set to 'never'.. It says 'Importing SIM contacts' for about 5 seconds and then that's it..

I bought a cable for the Nokia 2760. I have a few quick questions:

-Can I use the Nokia 2760 with Nokia PC SUite?..
-How do I save the contacts form the Nokia and then import onto the iPhone?..
-Will the contacts then STAY on the iPhone?..

Thanks alot in advance guys :D
Jonno

Exocet
8th January 2009, 08:55 AM
PC-Suite is foolproof, seriously. Install it, plug the phone in, tell it to Sync to Outlook Express. Just install it and follow the prompts, try it out before calling on us to hold your hand through the process.

Once that's done, you'll need to point iTunes to Outlook Express as the source for your contacts and then perform a Sync. Having never done this on windows I can't tell you what to do, but seriously - how about you try it first and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Or, you know, just type them out and hit "sync".