PDA

View Full Version : Panther From My New Computer To My Old

nocash
15th May 2005, 05:13 PM
Hey

I got a new G5 iMac but still have my G4 iMac my girlfriend has bought off me and tryed to install the Panther disks I got with the G5 on the G4 but when i get to the installation it just says i 'cant install bundled software on this computer' and then doesn't do much else.
Is there a way around this or are the instalation disks for the certified computer only?

Thanks
Vaughn

suryo
15th May 2005, 05:23 PM
There is no legal way around it. The install discs are intended only for the machine they were bundled with.

It is technically possible using target-disk mode, but keep in mind that you would be doing something illegal.

fompsweeva
15th May 2005, 05:27 PM
The way you *may* get around this is to start up the old computer in target mode (so it acts as a firewire drive... hold down 't' at bootup to get into this mode) and use Carbon Copy to mirror your G5's hard drive.

Just make sure you do it right after a re-boot and permission repair, with no programs running and don't use anything during the process.

Make sure you repair permissions after, too.

Then when you re-boot your old iMac, it should be the same system.

I've done this from my old iBook to my Powerbook to my iMac G4 in that order.

downsys
15th May 2005, 05:43 PM
is it really illegal? i'm guessing that the G4 once had an OS, but no longer. (maybe u lost the cd or something). and i'm sure the new G5 will have Tiger too (if u got it really recently). so ur not running both operating systems at the same time. hmm. i dunno though. all the best.

Byrd
15th May 2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by downsys@May 15 2005, 05:43 PM
is it really illegal? i'm guessing that the G4 once had an OS, but no longer. (maybe u lost the cd or something). and i'm sure the new G5 will have Tiger too (if u got it really recently). so ur not running both operating systems at the same time. hmm. i dunno though. all the best.
It's a bit grey, but I'd say the original Panther CDs that nocash received with his iMac G5 is OEM software which is only meant to be installed on the computer it came bundled with. Hence the reason why it refuses to install on the G4 iMac, Apple had added a hardware detection of G5 iMac only, and nothing else. No doubt it'd work on any other G5 iMac too.

JB

nocash
15th May 2005, 11:59 PM
Hey guys

Thanks for the replies, I might try that techique fompsweeva and suryo suggested but if I can get Tiger on it's own and share it between the machines i might do that, does anyone know if that is possible?

cheers

suryo
16th May 2005, 01:20 AM
If by "get(ting) Tiger on its own" you mean buying a retail version or an up-to-date pack then yes, it is possible. However, from a legal standpoint, a single-user license entitles you to install it on only one machine at any one time.