PDA

View Full Version : Mac wont shutdown!

mel74
4th January 2009, 03:04 PM
Hi
For the last week my iMac G5 wont shut down properly. I click shutdown and the dock and everything disappears but it then hangs on the desktop picture. I leave it a while then end up having to hold the power button in to switch it off. I am running OSX Tiger.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thanks
Mel

I am MAC newbie so please be gentle!

MacDave
4th January 2009, 03:10 PM
Hi
For the last week my iMac G5 wont shut down properly. I click shutdown and the dock and everything disappears but it then hangs on the desktop picture. I leave it a while then end up having to hold the power button in to switch it off. I am running OSX Tiger.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thanks
Mel

I am MAC newbie so please be gentle!

Start your Mac in verbose mode by holding down Command+V upon booting. You'll see a bunch of white text on a black background showing the startup process. When you shut down, it will be verbose as well. Perhaps you'll see what's hanging things up there.

Dave

mel74
4th January 2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks - will give it a try!

Beau
4th January 2009, 03:36 PM
I had this issue when I installed one of the 10.5.x updates on my MacBook - it'd simply hang on shutdown, and I'd have to hold down the power button.

To fix this, I just reset the PRAM and havent had the problem since. :)

On bootup, before the Apple chime, hold down; command + option + P + R until you hear the chime twice. Then let go of the keys and let it boot up as usual. This may help with your Mac not shutting down. :)

remigi
4th January 2009, 03:48 PM
i had this problem to, on my old macbook and new macbook on the same day... kinda freaked me out that both did it... but seemed to fix itself the next day

chrsha01
4th January 2009, 03:55 PM
Try:

1) Resetting the PRAM:

http://img.skitch.com/20081223-dkb2y4pg8i2dxse4neqhe3g1uq.jpg

2) Resetting the SMU:

iMac G5: How to Reset the SMU (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1767)

Should shut-down after these steps, Good Luck!! :)

mel74
4th January 2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks guys! I tried everything you all suggested several times and it made no difference.

It seems the problem was my TIVO desktop software - I switched that off and I can now shutdown/restart without a problem!:)