PDA

View Full Version : iPhone doesn't ring

luke_in_tas
4th January 2009, 12:21 PM
Recently (not quite sure how long, but at least a few of weeks) my iPhone has occasionally been failing to ring when someone calls me. The caller hears ringing at their end, but I don't. The call ultimately diverts to voicemail and I hear the SMS alert for this. Then when I check my phone I see I not only the SMS, but an indicator I had a missed call.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

I'm wondering if it is an iPhone glitch or a carrier glitch (I'm with Optus).

I know on my wife's iPhone that if she has been playing Bejewelled a bit, calls she subsequently makes/receives keep getting dropped, and to correct this the phone needs to be rebooted. So I'm wondering if my problem is something similar. Is there some badly written app that is causing this side effect?

Meh 626
4th January 2009, 12:45 PM
Yes, I often have this problem. I am also with Optus.

scar68
4th January 2009, 01:05 PM
Am also with Optus, also get this a bit.

I work in a concrete building often moving in and out of reception. I assumed it was to do with this.

Would be great to hear if Telstra customers also get it.

Would be totally lost without my Iphone. Such a wonder of shiny goodness.

:)

Meh 626
4th January 2009, 01:18 PM
I don't believe it is to a lack of reception. I think more to the fact of something going wrong in the transmission of the data from the tower to the phone or the phone being unable to read/notice the incoming call. Most of the times when this issue occurs I happen to have full reception, 3G or GPRS.

luke_in_tas
4th January 2009, 01:21 PM
I don't think it is a reception problem either. The couple of times I know it has happened I've been in locations with reception.

I'm not convinced its a carrier problem though, as the iPhone shows a missed call, so it must have known about the call even though it didn't ring.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone other than people on Optus are having the problem?

kyte
4th January 2009, 01:23 PM
It isnt just optus. I have it on Telstra from time to time too

Phase
4th January 2009, 01:23 PM
Also on optus, also known to have the same issue.

Only ever noticed it since 2.2

Meh 626
4th January 2009, 01:25 PM
It isnt just optus. I have it on Telstra from time to time too

Then it must be a phone issue, I think the iPhone is to lazy to receive the call so it dumps it into missed calls and directs it onto Voicemail. :p

luke_in_tas
4th January 2009, 01:35 PM
I've found at least one post on the Apple discussion forums about this issue (but with no fix): Apple - Support - Discussions - Iphone will not ring..i just get missed ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8631751).

Does anyone know if Apple have a feedback page for the iPhone like they do for other products? I've looked on the iPhone web pages and support site, but can't see anything.

Edit:
Google showed me the feedback page Apple - iPhone - Feedback (http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html). Submitting details now.

gtext
4th January 2009, 05:20 PM
I think the iPhone generally has random notification sound issues

Haven't had the ring issue but the received email sound comes and goes randomly.
This phone is replacement for the first (different problem) but has the same random sound problem.

Alec Fraser
4th January 2009, 05:58 PM
It's not limited to the iPhone. I'm on Vodafone and have had this problem with the iPhone, as well as every Nokia I've ever used on the Vodafone network over the past 5 years. I'm sure it's a network issue.

gelfie
4th January 2009, 08:04 PM
I had this issue temporarily where I live. It's gone now... and... reception is better now too.

I think they were doing work either software or hardware on the local towers here.

I don't mind a bit of flakiness so long as the network improves overall.

yellow18
5th January 2009, 10:07 PM
iphone's are wierd. My phone rings and i cannot answer it. I try to slide the arrow across the screen to answer it but the phone keeps ringing.
Other times, i slide the arrow across the phone, but it keeps on ringing, the timer showing the duration of the call appears and the counter clicks over, but i cannot aanswer the call.
Turn it off for a bit and turn it back on.
Bloody electronic gadgets.

Mister Tee
9th March 2009, 07:59 PM
I get the missed calls. The phone does not ring and neither does it show up as a missed call on the phone. All I get is the SMS from Optus notifying me that I have missed a call. I initially thought this was a 3G issue. I now have 3G permanently turned off. I still get the same issue. Strange thing is that my wife has a first generation iPhone and we have not had any such issues with it. Leads me to believe it must be an issue with the phones hardware as both phones run off the same software and both are with Optus...

rosski
12th March 2009, 10:09 PM
I have just started (last three days ) having the same problem with the phone not ringing but getting a missed call message. Appears to be more prevalent if phone has 'autolocked' . Interestingly this also coincides with very late delivery of SMS messages - very random though. Telstra were nigh on useless when I approached them - has anyone contacted Apple ??

samwalk
12th March 2009, 10:42 PM
I am with Telstra and I regularly have this problem. I also get the problem where I can't answer the phone because I cannot slide the arrow across. This does not happen as often as the missed call though.

reemixx
13th March 2009, 12:08 AM
Yup, I'm with Optus and I get this problem on a near-daily basis.

Someone rings me (sometimes it will ring for them and sometimes they'll get put straight to voicemail), the missed call sometimes shows up on my phone and sometimes not, but my iPhone never actually rings, and then I'll receive a message from Optus notifying me of a missed call.

It started happening a couple of months ago, I believe, and it's got progressively worse. Almost convinced it's a handset issue, but I'm not 100% sure.

wholikespotatoes
13th March 2009, 01:30 AM
Anybody out there never to experience this issue on an iPhone 3G???

(That would have noticed..)

decryption
13th March 2009, 08:08 AM
Anybody out there never to experience this issue on an iPhone 3G???

(That would have noticed..)

I've never had this happen.

iPhone has always rang when someone has tried to call me and never gone direct to voicemail if the phone is on and there is a signal.

Meh 626
26th April 2009, 07:26 PM
I was looking through the baseband logs for my iPhone and I believe I have found what identifies this issue of the phone not ringing.

To find out how to view your iPhone's logs, view this thread: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/36/63315-find-your-iphone-dropout-error-log.html

Firstly, find the corresponding log to the date it last happened.

Secondly, look for an entry that has a duration value of 0, a ceer value of around 350 and a cause value of kUnknownError (an UnknownError can be two or more things, a dropped call or when the phone doesn't ring to name a few.) eg:

14:57:46 [clm] disconnect: duration=0;cause=kUnknownError;ceer=349;txPower=-199;maxTxPower=32;rat=0;cgi=505:2:3922:34431
Take note of the cause in the above example.

Hopefully this might put some insight into why this issue happens.

Thanks,

EDIT: From studying the logs more I believe a call with a duration of 0 and a ceer value of 31 is a missed call. The second example listed is very likely a call that didn't ring.

Here are more logs whose causes are Unknown Errors:

8:57:08 [clm] disconnect: duration=0;cause=kUnknownError;ceer=349;txPower=-199;maxTxPower=32;rat=0;cgi=505:2:3922:34431

15:20:52 [clm] disconnect: duration=0;cause=kUnknownError;ceer=348;txPower=15 ;maxTxPower=32;rat=3;cgi=505:2:33501:13866
I think these ones are on the money.

Here is a rare radio failure log:

13:55:38 [clm] disconnect: duration=0;cause=kRadioFailure;ceer=0;rat=3;cgi=50 5:2:33001:16384

spyke60
5th February 2010, 03:12 PM
yes
i have same problems as earlier comments occaisionly random, but last day or more often. perhaps network, area in at the moment. tried calling it whilst at home . have been doing resets ,changing setting no luck. All else works fine

Meh 626
5th February 2010, 03:45 PM
Just to add to this thread again, since moving to Telstra I've never had the problem re-occur.

coops22
5th February 2010, 09:39 PM
One possibility of no ringing on an incoming call could be that you slid the "silent" button which is above the volume buttons on the side of the phone. If it has a red dot next to the tab it is in silent mode. Just slide it back towards the front facia.