PDA

View Full Version : standard Airport Card

macshack
3rd June 2004, 02:00 PM
hi all - a stupid question maybe...but just wanted to make sure that a standard Airport Card will work in an AirportExtreme ready iBook (the new 12" 1GHz model)

I know AirportExtreme is backwards compatible - but does the same apply the other way around? there are obviously speed differences etc but I just need to know if it work in the iBook at all!

TIA
Rebecca

Disko
3rd June 2004, 02:39 PM
I'm pretty sure they're all backwards/forwards compatible...

... but why would you want to put an airport card into an already airport extreme equipped ibook?

macshack
3rd June 2004, 03:02 PM
hey disko - it's a customer of mine who's asked the question - and I am also not entirely sure why he would want tot do that (hence the post)...but I did say I would check for him so had to follow through!

my feeling is that they were probably backwards/forwards compat too so he should be fine.

Disko
3rd June 2004, 03:05 PM
Aahh. Well, let your customer know that i'm confused as to why they'd want to do that. :)

Probably best to check with apple to get 100% confirmation, but i'm about 90% sure.

macshack
3rd June 2004, 03:10 PM
thanks fot the advice - will do!
cheers
rebecca

Quamen
3rd June 2004, 04:09 PM
Um.....the iBooks don't come with airport extreme built in.

Maybe your customer already has an airport card, and wants to put it in their new iBook. Maybe the speed difference isn't worth the money for a new airport extreme card.

macshack
3rd June 2004, 04:24 PM
Hi Quamen - see my original post - the iBook in question is AirportExtreme 'ready'!

and actually, for point of reference... the new iBook 14" 1.25GHz combo (M9419X/A) DOES have airport extreme built in... it's the 2 lower spec models that don't!

any doubts...chk:

http://www.apple.com.au/ibook/specs.html

cheers!
Rebecca

sillydog701
3rd June 2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by macshack@Jun 3 2004, 02:00 PM
hi all - a stupid question maybe...but just wanted to make sure that a standard Airport Card will work in an AirportExtreme ready iBook (the new 12" 1GHz model)
No, if you are talking about the installing of AirPort card.

According to Apple (and a number of photos), AirPort card and AirPort Extreme Card are different physical dimensions. You can't put an AirPort card into a slot designed for AirPort Extreme.

When them communicate, they can communicate to each other.

Quamen
3rd June 2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by macshack@Jun 3 2004, 04:24 PM
Hi Quamen - see my original post - the iBook in question is AirportExtreme 'ready'!

and actually, for point of reference... the new iBook 14" 1.25GHz combo (M9419X/A) DOES have airport extreme built in... it's the 2 lower spec models that don't!

any doubts...chk:

http://www.apple.com.au/ibook/specs.html

cheers!
Rebecca
oh ok.

By "ready" I thought you meant like the two cheaper ones where it is ready to take one. Not that it already has one installed.

If it already has one installed then where is the point of putting a slower wi-fi card in there? Sounds stupid to me.

decryption
3rd June 2004, 06:59 PM
As far as I thought, the AirPort card, is a PCMCIA card, where as the AirPort Extreme is a miniPCI card. *not* backward compatible at all.

Currawong
3rd June 2004, 09:35 PM
The original Airport card is the same dimensions of a PCMCIA card, but with the pins reversed. The new Airport Extreme card is mini PCI, not physical compatible.

However, both types of Airport are compatible with each other. The fastest speed you'll get will be that of the slowest device.

pipsqeek
3rd June 2004, 11:52 PM
Ya'll beat me to it...

Short answer, is.........NO

the cards are totally different from one another, as previously mentioned.

But yes, they will communicate with each other either via an Adhoc network (without a wireless access point) or with a WAP.

Not sure how speed will go as far a Adhoc goes, as I have a slight feeling that the network will slow down to 11Mb, even though other machines might be 54Mb.

Either way, you can't use the Airport card in G4 iBooks because Airport Extreme is totally different (albeit, to my unhappiness as it would be nice if the G3 could take Air Ext).

Steve

My unnecessary ramble