PDA

View Full Version : Best way to migrate from PC to MAC?

zigzagler
4th January 2009, 12:15 AM
Hi guys,

I would really appreciate it if anyone of you could recommend / suggest a way for me to migrate all my itunes (playlist with ratings) data & my iPhones data from my PC to MAC? I just don't want to lose all my data in my iphone currently yet I don't hope that I have to always sync with my old PC in order not to delete any files in my iphone...

Thanks...

MissionMan
4th January 2009, 02:30 AM
Belkin : Switch-to-Mac Cable (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=460722)

belkin make a cable which includes software which should allow you to do this.

rustyshelf
4th January 2009, 05:34 PM
You could drive to Sydney and get the Apple store to do it...but by far the best way is to set fire to your windows PC and dance around it singing merrily. Extra points for creative use of added petrol. :D

In all seriousness though an external hard drive would do the job as well, copying the music is a simple as copying the files, I'm not sure how to make the meta data come with it though (like the ratings, playlists, etc)

With the synching thing you have two options. The easiest one is to just re-sync with your new mac once it has all the same files (it will in effect delete them then re-add them). The slightly more complex one is that you can give the iTunes on your new mac the exact same id as the one on your old PC. If you google it you will find how to do this.

zigzagler
5th January 2009, 10:03 AM
is there a better way of migrating without buying the cable?

adriaaan
5th January 2009, 10:46 AM
All you need is an Ethernet Cable. I did this on the weekend. Got my sister in-laws itunes library and photos off the PC.

I had never done it before and worked a treat.

This thread tells you all you need to know.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/13/64693-help-me-set-up-file-sharing-winxp-computer.html

M.

Carve
5th January 2009, 11:07 PM
1. throw PC away
2. get on mac

done. won't take you longer than 42 seconds :D

jks, if you have an external HDD, just put all the files you want onto it then transfer it to the mac

EdgeOfQuarrel
5th January 2009, 11:16 PM
how do you migrate from a Mac to a PC?

Chesty
5th January 2009, 11:21 PM
how do you migrate from a Mac to a PC?

You can't sorry mate, there's no such thing.

EdgeOfQuarrel
5th January 2009, 11:27 PM
hey i'm drunk enough right now to do anything *streaks through forum*