PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here carry a second phone?

kevinnugent
3rd January 2009, 10:09 PM
There's often times, for business and various other reasons you have to carry a second phone.

Do you, and why?

I'm struggling with the iPhone as a business phone at the moment and am {< >} this close to getting a blackberry too.

Does anyone else juggle devices? I'd be interested in hearing your experiences.

dangelovich
3rd January 2009, 10:15 PM
I carried a second one once when I was on call for work. Just more crap I had to carry around, so now I divert the work phone to my mobile when I'm on call. Incidentally, carrying 2 phones makes you look like a wanker - as does using Bluetooth headsets of any kind, and using speakerphone in public :P

timothy
3rd January 2009, 11:15 PM
Always carry a secondary phone for work...

The iPhone is too good for them. It can handle emails etc...

I would hate if my computer started ringing!

marc
3rd January 2009, 11:19 PM
One phone here. The iPhone is fitting all my telephony and mobile internetophony needs right now, including being a business email workhorse.

limpboy
3rd January 2009, 11:30 PM
Two phones here. One cheap phone on vodafone for free calls to my friends and second one is my iPhone on cheap data plan with Virgin ($15 for 1GB). Another reason for second phone is that my iPhone battery rarely lasts a whole day and I need to be contactable all the time.

DJY
4th January 2009, 10:13 AM
I also carry two phones...
iPhone is my personal phone...
work phone is a standard Nokia that work provide. I initially got a NextG phone but the only one they had was a tradesman's one which was HUGE and crap quality.

Work won't allow iPhones to access email - "security issues" apparently.

vonhanlon
4th January 2009, 10:16 AM
I carry two - iPhone on Optus, and a cheap prepaid telstra one...
I've got the telstra one mainly because my friends are cheap and love that they can send 1c txt from telstra to telstra - mind you i only spend $5 on telstra credit a month...

Alec Fraser
4th January 2009, 10:19 AM
I carry two phones when I'm working: my work Nokia and my personal iPhone. I'm not allowed to use my iPhone for work...and I've taken to turning my work phone off on the weekends and when I'm on leave, so it's handy to have a second phone that work doesn't use to contact me on...

derekaw
4th January 2009, 10:31 AM
Yes, I have a work phone and my personal iPhone. I would have put the work SIM in my iPhone but work do not give us any internet/3G connectivity.

I have my work phone diverted to my iPhone for inbound. I make some work related outbound calls on my iPhone but try to grab the work phone when I can for outbound.

When at home on the weekends I try to use the work phone a bit for outbound to offset any personal cost on personal phone that may have occurred during the week.

This all works pretty well.

lukemc
4th January 2009, 10:53 AM
personal iphone and blackberry for work sadly!

conufsed
4th January 2009, 11:26 AM
These days one phone, not being on call and doing any type of support makes this quite workable.

At one stage there back before I became a developer I was carrying around three phones. Yes my belt did look like a wanker, so I tried to wear long shirts that would disguise them.

My personal Nokia, a 6210 if memory serves me right, and work didn't have this number
My work Nokia crap phone (they just given everyone cheapies)
And then the company was trialing Blackberrries, and thought it might be an idea to issue them to someone on the support team as well so we knew how they actually worked.

On weekends I work 'forget' my work phone quite often, but take the blackberry to make calls work was paying for (no one actually knew its number hehe)

decryption
4th January 2009, 11:35 AM
I only carry one phone (don't really need to be contacted 24/7), but I use it for email heavily. I didn't really come across issues with battery life that often, but I do carry a spare battery with me just for piece of mind.

purana
4th January 2009, 11:40 AM
I only carry the one mobile, and I barely do that. Don't have to do oncall, so no real need to have it on weekends. Typically only need it in the lead up to work and several hours after in case something I was working on needs follow up by another team member in another region.

The iPhone is not configured to access anything with work, as it's not been passed by an audit for secure access (and to be managed by work).

We are now able to purchase any phone we want, and work will cover the cost of doing so up to a certain value every 2 years.

I have the iPhone, as it means I can use its wireless ability at home, at friends houses and have some music/videos on it when your stuck somewhere. Apart from that it's just a phone for work use in those other times.

Bosox76
4th January 2009, 11:44 AM
Used to carry two phones when oncall at work, but it was too much of a hassle so now just use the iphone. Personally i find it much better only having to carry the one. Work reimburses the phone calls anyway, and the iphone is sooo much better than the crappy nokia brick that i used to lug around

colbsi
4th January 2009, 12:37 PM
I have 2 phones, iPhone (Optus - plan) and Sony Ericsson K750i (Vodafone - pre-paid). I don't have everyone's number in my iPhone, and a lot of people still contact me on the old number. So I carry both of them around with me. Only my family contacts me on the iPhone.

gumby08
4th January 2009, 01:08 PM
personal iphone and blackberry for work sadly!

+1 :(

scar68
4th January 2009, 01:11 PM
I work quite a bit overseas and always have a second phone with a cheap local sim. When at home though the Iphone is just fine for my needs.

I am also worried about batt life and for piece of mind carry a second battery and sync cable in my back pack. Use it very very rarely.

kyte
4th January 2009, 01:20 PM
Peronal: iPhone. Work, Nokia 3315 with a NextG sim (go figure, we switched to Telstra but we dont have access to anything except voice, sms and voicemail.... and no phones to update to, except the dreaded ZTE crapola).. like others, my work doesnt give access to the net... not on our computers and sure as heck not on our phones. I usually leave the work phone in my bag.

krolly
4th January 2009, 01:22 PM
Virgin for cheap calls to my family who also have Virgin.
Bigpond Next G for a free "My Hour".

I wish I only got incoming calls on the Virgin phone so I didn't have to carry the cluncky Samsung outside of my free phone hour, but some people I call record its number in their Contacts for me and they are invariably the very calls that aren't just a chat. I could block the number but that always seems so antiscocial. Also the NextG works almost everywhere except the middle of the Great Central Desert.

macnwindows
4th January 2009, 03:47 PM
Have a Blackberry 8800 from work for emails and work related calls.

arkenstone
4th January 2009, 03:58 PM
I have two. iPhone for personal/all non work related and a standard brick Nokia for all work stuff.

I used to only carry one (the work phone) but work won't give us a data plan and I love my iPhone too much.

These days I thoroughly enjoy not taking the work phone with me on weekends when I'm not on-call. Means I can't back anyone up and I remain uninterrupted.

boddiz
4th January 2009, 05:02 PM
2 phones.

One on telstra, 1c txt to mates
one on optus, 5c txt.

16GB original iphone on optus, hiptop on telstra.

Cost of monthly phone bills: $250 combined.

wabbit
4th January 2009, 05:32 PM
Yep I do this every single day, carry 2 phones (iPhone & Nokia 6120 for work). I made the best out of a shit phone and really use my iPhone as the work one. Keeping everything in the iPhone and just dialing numbers on the Nokia. It's become very useful having everything syncing and stored on he iPhone. If only work allowed them.

The_Hawk
7th January 2009, 08:55 AM
I have one since I refused a work phone, but it would be very nice if we had the option (at least within a single carrier) to do some basic point of presence functionality...

Like you have a pile of numbers; work, mobile (work), mobile (personal), home (maybe even a Skype like account) and the ability to then switch each number between devices, something like log onto a management website and tell it which phone to actually send all calls to and which numbers can go through and which go to voicemail...

I have seen things like this demo'd before, but nothing in the consumer space for a reasonable cost. I don't want to have to divert all my phones and pay diversion costs, it should be a simple routing request I can do online. While ideally it would be a free value add offered by the telco's I'd be willing to pay a small fee for the ability to do things like this.

uncyherb
7th January 2009, 09:06 AM
I like Stephen Fry's recent admission... 7 iPhones!

SOSUMI
7th January 2009, 09:11 AM
Does anyone else juggle devices?

Iphone 3G private use on optus, N95 Business on 3. Motorola V3 for overseas use, use local prepaid.

Kevin have you seen. What does your phone number spell? (http://www.phonespell.com?) what does your number spell?

reemixx
7th January 2009, 09:34 AM
Just the one phone for me. Though, I do have another but I don't carry it with me. It's used as a backup or for taking to places I don't want to take my iPhone.

One phone is already too much phone for me. I think I'd go a little crazy if I was being constantly called.

stevejay
7th January 2009, 09:39 AM
I don't carry 2 (can't see the point, only keep a landline for DSL access and everybody I know and care about is on Telstra like me - 1c text, yay! :D ), but my girlfriend does, one for her Vodafone friends and a Telstra one for me (1c text YAY!!!!)

I will probably keep my 6070 going if I go iPhone simply because I don't fancy iPhone on Telstra, but iPhone needs to become a true smart phone (copy/paste please) before I'll make that leap.

kevinnugent
7th January 2009, 11:09 AM
Iphone 3G private use on optus, N95 Business on 3. Motorola V3 for overseas use, use local prepaid.

Kevin have you seen. What does your phone number spell? (http://www.phonespell.com?) what does your number spell?

Umm....mine must be very boring. It told me it doesn't spell anything! :)

iJordie
7th January 2009, 11:14 AM
Only 1 Phone here, Nokia 6120. Due to be Replaced in November with the plan i am on. Hopefully by that time we will have an iPhone that can sms and shoot videos.