PDA

View Full Version : how do i get my imac to talk to canon printer

MareFrase
2nd January 2009, 02:49 PM
Just updated from G4 to new imac and can't get it to talk to my Canon printer. Have downloaded printer drivers etc, but it's not coming up in the "select printer" or "add printer" boxes. Worked just fine with the G4. Anyone have any ideas for someone not-very-computer-savvy??
m.

stewy38
2nd January 2009, 02:58 PM
What sort canon printer is it

MareFrase
2nd January 2009, 03:35 PM
Canon Pixma MP450

Currawong
2nd January 2009, 03:53 PM
Are you plugging the printer directly into your iMac? Which iMac is it as well?

MareFrase
2nd January 2009, 04:00 PM
Yep, printer and computer directly connected...it's an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz.

stewy38
2nd January 2009, 05:17 PM
Canon Pixma MP450

I have a Canon MP 600 had no problems with getting it going.
Simply connect it up to my IMAC and away I went with printing.

Can't understand why if you have connected directly to IMAC why the printer is not working.

Have you tried to manually add the printer to the system

Have check the USB Cable it maybe be a faulty cable

MareFrase
2nd January 2009, 05:26 PM
Have tried different cables, still no go. Sorry to sound so dumb, but how do I manually add the printer?

stewy38
2nd January 2009, 05:57 PM
Have tried different cables, still no go. Sorry to sound so dumb, but how do I manually add the printer?

Go into your system folder and click on the printer & fax Icon and then click on the tab called Printing. Then halfway down you will find a + & -, Click on the + which will open the printer browser, Then click on more printers which will then search for your printer.

I hope this helps you anbd let me know what happens

Cheers

Stewy

MareFrase
2nd January 2009, 06:35 PM
Did that, and the only printers that showed up under 'more printers' were Canon IJ Network (which showed up no individual printers and wouldn't allow me to type anything in), Epson Firewire, Epson TCP/IP and HP IP Printing.
Reckon it's a trip to the Apple store. Thanks for your help Stewy38 and Currawong. I'll let you know what happens. Interesting thing is that the printer didn't work on a previous iMac Intel computer either. But the G4 was fine. Maybe I should just buy a new printer...
m.

stewy38
2nd January 2009, 07:26 PM
Maybe I should just buy a new printer...
m.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to think about. Just a question how old is the current printer

Shaun R
2nd January 2009, 07:33 PM
System Prefs>Print & Fax>+ icon>It'll be right there.

Click it, select your model, OK.

Done

halledise
2nd January 2009, 08:03 PM
Just updated from G4 to new imac and can't get it to talk to my Canon printer. Have downloaded printer drivers etc, but it's not coming up in the "select printer" or "add printer" boxes. Worked just fine with the G4. Anyone have any ideas for someone not-very-computer-savvy??
m.

delete everything 'canon' first then download latest model-specific drivers from Canon website and try again