PDA

View Full Version : MacBook enter key not working! Dirty keyboard

Cylon
1st January 2009, 04:02 PM
In the middle of using it my white macbook started to have issues. The enter key stopped working, thinking this was odd I restarted. The problem continued but now the enter would act like it stuck down when not being pressed. I could get it to stop by banging the keyboard but now that doesn't seem to work. Do I have a dirty keyboard? The 2 enter keysare effected but all other keys act fine. When using the keyboard viewer or the bluetooth keyboard there is no problem. Is it possible to clean a macbook keyboard? Can disable the onboard keyboard and only use a external keyboard? Help me plz I can bearly log on, Im writing this from my iPhone.

matthew858
1st January 2009, 04:38 PM
There could be an issue with the buttons/triggers below the keys being stuck. The only thing you can really do is take it to an Authorised Apple repair centre, so as to not void your warranty when you try to fix the keyboard yourself.

yellow18
1st January 2009, 05:39 PM
unplug it, take it outside and hose it down, then put it in the oven on low heat for 20 minutes and it will as good as new.

stewy38
1st January 2009, 06:04 PM
unplug it, take it outside and hose it down, then put it in the oven on low heat for 20 minutes and it will as good as new.

Why on earth would anyone want to hose there mac down and stick in the oven. That looks like a good way stuff up

ziggotron
1st January 2009, 06:05 PM
You can pull the keys out. If you're not too sure how to, click this link http://www.thebookyard.com/images/manuals/keyreplace.pdf. The easiest way, I've found is to stick something in the top corner of the key and angle it up carefully till it pops out, to dislodge the bracket. If it's something sticky use a slightly damp cotton swab to clean the stuff off, or if it's just debris use some Blu-tack.

EDIT: This link might also help, macbook + beer = "macbook keyboard clean" - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/meneertan/sets/72157600841485908/)

paulharrop
1st January 2009, 06:09 PM
Why on earth would anyone want to hose there mac down and stick in the oven. That looks like a good way stuff up

You're joking aren't you.

krolly
1st January 2009, 06:28 PM

Careful what you suggest. There are other people like me out there! :o

fiark
1st January 2009, 06:35 PM

Oh god no!

tintinaujapon
1st January 2009, 07:32 PM

Don't be silly.

Low heat won't do it. At least medium heat and at least half an hour.

chowmix
13th September 2009, 11:07 AM

This can work! I have fixed my cable modem that got rained on through a leak in the roof by baking it on the lowest possible setting. I have also done this with a Mac keyboard that had coke spilled in it.