PDA

View Full Version : Parallels and Bootcamp

djackson172
31st December 2008, 01:29 PM
Hi. I am a (very happy) Mac newbie but I need to be able to run a couple of Wndows based software items on my new Macbook. I downloaded and ran a trail version of Parallels but last night discovered that Mac has Bootcamp. So, I have deleted Parallels and am going to install Bootcamp.

I have some questions -

Would all the files associated with Parallels have been deleted or do some files still hang around (as sometimes happens with PCs)?

When I deleted Parallels, would Windows have been deleted too or would it be hiding somewhere on my Mac?

Thank you in advance :)

matthew858
31st December 2008, 01:40 PM
Most, if not all of the files from Parallels should have been deleted.

Windows would have run inside of Parallels, so the removal of Parallels means the removal of Windows.

For information on Boot Camp, check out bennyling's guide, Welcome to Boot Camp (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/20/60063-welcome-boot-camp.html).

Currawong
31st December 2008, 03:41 PM
What programs do you have to run? With bootcamp, do you realise you'll be rebooting the computer into Windows only, with no access to the Mac side?

If you'd like a free "virtual machine" solution, there's always VirtualBox. I tend not to trust Bootcamp, as there's always a risk that you'll wipe out your Mac partition, which a number of people have done by accident when installing Windows.

Piratbyran
31st December 2008, 03:46 PM
What programs do you have to run? With bootcamp, do you realise you'll be rebooting the computer into Windows only, with no access to the Mac side?

Wouldn't say no access :p

Mediafour | MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com/macdrive)

iPirate
1st January 2009, 11:14 AM
When you remove Parallels, there will be preference files and such left, as well as possibly your windows VM (in ~/Documents/Parallels/ ).

I prefer to use tools like AppTrap to get rid of the pref files and such when I drag the related app to the trash.