PDA

View Full Version : Dvr 109 Doesn't Spin Up Either... Is It My G4?

LyndaStudio
14th May 2005, 06:15 PM
I posted here a few days ago about my DVD burner failing. My local applestore said they'd replace it with the brand spanking 109 dual layer - great. Only problem is the tech wasn't there today (Saturday), so the sales person installed the new burner. (I know, it's easy, but I wasn't all that confident). Upshot is, this burner won't spin up either. I said I'd take the machine home and see if there were any drivers to upload (did Patchburn 3.1; don't have a PC to go beyond the installed v.1.17 firmware)... but the thing wouldn't spin up anyway. Is something wrong with the computer itself? Any ideas before I take it back in to see the tech on Monday?

It is a Dual 450 G4. Everything else works...

rob05
14th May 2005, 06:30 PM
Hi

Here is something to at least rule out one thing. Do you have a spare HD laying around if so unplug the power plug from the DVD drive and plug it into the HD and if it spins that means the power is there.

Also this is a similar problem that I had a approx. 6 months ago and I had to replace the ribbon cable from the logic board back to the DVD drive which fixed the problem for me.

If everything else is working fine it is more than likely one of the above things causing the problem.

Also check that the cables are connected fully to the drive.

Good Luck

Rob

LyndaStudio
14th May 2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks Rob for your reply... I don't have a spare HD but I get the logic. They say the tech "would have" checked the old 106D before recommending replacement, but now this has happened maybe it is a power supply issue. I haven't checked the cables are seated and will do so.

The tray does slide in and out though - is that on a different power circuit?

Thanks again.

Edge
14th May 2005, 08:29 PM
Does the drive show up in System Profiler?

LyndaStudio
15th May 2005, 11:26 AM
Thanks, Edge, yes it does. It was 'not supported' until I installed Patchburn 3; now it reads 'vendor supported'. This is what I get:
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109
Revision: 1.17
Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW
Disc Burning: Vendor Supported
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal

The unit makes some rhythmic clicking noises a few times, then ejects the disk (after about a minute). iTunes doesn't see the disk and it doesn't show up on the finder.

gelfie
15th May 2005, 11:52 AM
I'd go with the dodgy ribbon cable theory. Maybe its good enough to get the drive info but not good enough to carry data, so when the OS looks for the disc it gets garbage.

Also, if you have some spare power connectors in the case (my old G4 had two or three unused ones) try using one of those to power it.

Not sure about your tray power question. The drive gets both 12 and 5 volts from the power connector. It's possible the tray mechinism is on the 5v line while the motor and/or laser are on the 12v line.

Rayd
15th May 2005, 11:58 AM
id say it is the ribbon cable but if it is the power you could always test it... just put the posative in the Red and the negative in the yellow if it reads 12v it works :)

LyndaStudio
15th May 2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by gelfie@May 15 2005, 11:52 AM
Also, if you have some spare power connectors in the case (my old G4 had two or three unused ones) try using one of those to power it.

I am peering into the innards and see what looks like a spare connector coming out of the power supply - it is terminated into a four-way plug of 'innies' and is marked 'P5'. This would work if it is a cable problem, right? Looks logical enough to me... just need to check with anyone who knows what a power cable is... Thanks.

LyndaStudio
15th May 2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@May 15 2005, 11:58 AM
id say it is the ribbon cable but if it is the power you could always test it... just put the posative in the Red and the negative in the yellow if it reads 12v it works :)
Sorry, but I don't understand this. :unsure:

LyndaStudio
17th May 2005, 11:40 AM
Turns out the replacement burner was faulty. Sometimes it's the simplest answer. Thanks to all who helped.

rob05
17th May 2005, 11:42 AM
Great to hear all is now well and working