PDA

View Full Version : Mac p2p Software

Byrd
2nd June 2004, 10:18 PM
I've been trying out various p2p software for OS X recently, and am really impressed by Poisoned. The last time I tried this was Limewire on a beige G3 running OS 9.2, and this was terrible.

Having used Kazaa Lite for sometime on my PC (which regardless of a supposed lack of spyware installed, this program always slows down my machine), Poisoned is fast, elegant and simple - along with being free.

Tried out Acquisition too, which does much the same thing, but constant hard disk thrashing made me uninstall it. Didn't try XFactor, which is apparently made by a developer once dumped from the Poisoned team.

Has anyone else has good success with other p2p software? This can be based on ease of use, reliability of downloads, and success with finding obscure files :)

A decent listing of Mac p2p software can be found here. (http://www.mp3machine.com/mac/SEARCHING-P2P/)

JB

Disko
2nd June 2004, 10:27 PM
my vote is Xfactor - very nice. I started using mlmac, then moved to poisoned - and now i just love Xfactor.

http://xfactor.cc

Splintered_Mind
3rd June 2004, 04:12 AM
Another vote for xfactor :D

[schmick]
3rd June 2004, 12:34 PM
Agreed, Nother vote for XFactor...

I think its better than the others I've tried (ie. Poisoned, Aquisition, etc). Such a simple and easy to use interface with very good results...

kim jong il
4th June 2004, 06:44 AM
I've recently beem using limewire, which is finally becoming a decent product (although limits DL speed to UL speed (#%@$) and tomato torrent which is obviously just another BT client (which does not). I have not heard of these other ones. What are the networks utilized? why am I so ignorant of all this?..........

kim :blink:

kristian
5th June 2004, 05:08 AM
My vote goes to XFactor too. Really nice and the downloads actually, erm downloads.

pipsqeek
5th June 2004, 09:25 AM
Just converted to XFactor because of the amount of good words in this particular thread.

What was I thinking with LimeWire?

Steve

macpimp
5th June 2004, 10:08 PM
i use azureus for bittorrent

http://azureus.sourceforge.net

Disko
5th June 2004, 10:32 PM
hey macpimp - welcome to Appletalk. :)

I can't seem to get azureus working through my billion DSL modem router and Airport. Tomato torrent works fine - but not as fast as i've heard bittorrent to be...

macpimp
6th June 2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Disko@Jun 5 2004, 10:32 PM
hey macpimp - welcome to Appletalk. :)

I can't seem to get azureus working through my billion DSL modem router and Airport. Tomato torrent works fine - but not as fast as i've heard bittorrent to be...
hey disko

you may need to configure your router to forward port 6881 (default for azureus) to your machine. if you have a firewall, set that to allow incoming tcp on port 6881 also.

kim jong il
6th June 2004, 10:54 AM
Does not azureus, like BT, utilize 6881-6889. I found that port forwarding made NO difference (they have been all forwarded none the less) tomato torrent was quite happy to communicate through the OS X firewall with no ports forwarded before this (I was not impressed by this).

Tomato torrent is a pain because of its default settings. It seeks out the rarest segments first (amongst other things). This makes it slow, right up to the last hour or so, until/when it starts on the common segments and it flies

What was the point of this? Just a users small insight into a couple of app's

cheers, kim

decryption
6th June 2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Jun 6 2004, 10:54 AM
Does not azureus, like BT, utilize 6881-6889.
Azureus seems to combine traffic from the other ports to the one port.
I only had to open port 6881 using Azureus, rather than the entire range.
So yeah, it's pretty cool :)

iMamacman
6th November 2005, 03:35 AM
Yep Xfactor sponds the the go ,, so i try that instead of upgrading to limewire Pro
but i cant connect to any of the sites within Xfactor?
ie gnutella ares and open FT ,, they all say "connecting" and thats as far as i get?
do i need to mess with Portsforwarding in my modem? or something
?

MacNut
6th November 2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by iMamacman@Nov 6 2005, 02:35 AM
Yep Xfactor sponds the the go ,, so i try that instead of upgrading to limewire Pro
but i cant connect to any of the sites within Xfactor?
ie gnutella ares and open FT ,, they all say "connecting" and thats as far as i get?
do i need to mess with Portsforwarding in my modem? or something
?
I'm having the same problem with xfactor since I did a clean install of my emac last week.
Worked perfectly before that but not anymore :cry:

Oh well at least acuisition works :D

jbillett
6th November 2005, 08:35 AM
The first time you run XFactor (fresh install or otherwise) you should use the update nodes function.

File->Advanced->Update Nodes

This may solve your connection problems.

MacNut
6th November 2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by jbillett@Nov 6 2005, 07:35 AM
The first time you run XFactor (fresh install or otherwise) you should use the update nodes function.

Thanks a Lot, works fine now :thumbup:

Currawong
6th November 2005, 09:44 AM
For some reason, XFactor, which is a shell for a number of sub programs, would have the subprograms crash. I'd be in the middle of a search, and all the results would disappear. I might have to give it a go again.

Azureus used to lock up my computer. Lately I've been using Bits on Wheels for torrents. I seem to have the opposite experiences to the norm, it's weird.

Gothikon
6th November 2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Jun 4 2004, 06:44 AM
I've recently beem using limewire, which is finally becoming a decent product (although limits DL speed to UL speed (#%@$) and tomato torrent which is obviously just another BT client (which does not). I have not heard of these other ones. What are the networks utilized? why am I so ignorant of all this?..........

kim :blink:
I'm using the free version of limwire and I'm certain it doen't limit DL speed to UL speed, I can get over 150k sec and I'm not uploading that fast...

Limewire is a bit sucky, slow start up time and fewer files, but when it works it works well. I've started using BT and Tomato torrent works well.

Finally, try shakespeer if you want a DC++ client.

Rayd
6th November 2005, 10:15 AM
i have tried many P2P programs, and nothing beats limewire IMO, get PRO its the best, Xfactor is just real slow... and not much search results. limewire all the way baby :P

helloroto
6th November 2005, 11:02 AM
I love Acquisition :D Limewire is aweful <_< But has anyone tried AcqLite? :huh:

Cheers,
Roto :blink:

iMamacman
6th November 2005, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by jbillett@Nov 6 2005, 05:35 AM

[The first time you run XFactor (fresh install or otherwise) you should use the update nodes function.

]

iMamacman
6th November 2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by jbillett@Nov 6 2005, 05:35 AM

Woops,,, I never get that Quote thing right,,
That was the answer though jbillet ,, Thanks i love it when someone has answers that fix my prob&#39;s.
Now ,, how important is this Port forwarding business . i havnt messed with any of my router configuration. do i need to have a special or dedicated port for this traffic?
my download speeds were very low in limewire like about 6kb/s :(

something2sea
9th November 2005, 07:45 PM
Acquisition RULES, but the Xfactor icons is MUCH better&#33;&#33;

pb12lover
9th November 2005, 07:54 PM
dont worry about limewire, use frostwire. its pretty much exactly the same, but its open-source