PDA

View Full Version : Total available memory

andyvinnie
29th December 2008, 10:20 PM
Hi,

Just want to check here first before booking for an appointment with the Genius Bar at Chadstone. The available free memory on my 1 month old MBP plus the used memory do not add up to 2GB even after a restart. It is always short of 250MB. According to the activity monitor, I have 2G memory installed. I've check on my gf 18 months old MB which also got 2GB memory, her free and used memory would add up to 2GB.

I noticed this because my MBP is lagging when open up fews applications while her MB can handle those amount of applications better than mine. Sure that can't be because I got a faster RAM and faster front bus speed. Probably a faulty memory that missing a 250MB.

grfxninja
29th December 2008, 10:33 PM
Click the Apple Menu > About this Mac. You'll get a screen that looks like this:

http://img.skitch.com/20081229-r6t46jd2guc6cr43gmnubahj4y.preview.jpg

If it doesn't say you have 2GB RAM, click the "More Info" button which will open up System Profiler.
Under "Hardware" scroll down to "Memory" and you should see something like this:

http://img.skitch.com/20081229-8jsjb645yb28mmq1ikeiu4ug4i.preview.jpg

telling you how much RAM is in each slot. If your machine shipped with 1 x 2GB stick then it will only have details in one of those lines. If it shipped with 2 x 1GB sticks you should see 2 lines of details.

andyvinnie
29th December 2008, 10:40 PM
It has 2X1G DDR3 1067 MHz installed and status for both are OK.

Lutze
30th December 2008, 01:02 AM
Hi,

Just want to check here first before booking for an appointment with the Genius Bar at Chadstone. The available free memory on my 1 month old MBP plus the used memory do not add up to 2GB even after a restart. It is always short of 250MB. According to the activity monitor, I have 2G memory installed. I've check on my gf 18 months old MB which also got 2GB memory, her free and used memory would add up to 2GB.

I noticed this because my MBP is lagging when open up fews applications while her MB can handle those amount of applications better than mine. Sure that can't be because I got a faster RAM and faster front bus speed. Probably a faulty memory that missing a 250MB.

Random thought... does it change if you plug the MBP into the power / was one of the two laptops powered at the time of comparison?

Just wondering if by using the integrated GPU (the power saving one) you're borrowing RAM.

Huy
30th December 2008, 01:16 AM
The integrated GPU does use RAM as it is the same 9400M in the MacBook unibody. That was my first thought when I read about the 'missing' 250MB RAM.

andyvinnie
30th December 2008, 01:17 PM
The integrated GPU does use RAM as it is the same 9400M in the MacBook unibody. That was my first thought when I read about the 'missing' 250MB RAM.

Called apple support, they said it is because of the integrated graphic card (9400M) regardless it is being used or not. Therefore I would only have 1.74GB of RAM available at all time. I guess I will have to upgrade my RAM.