PDA

View Full Version : Transmission - Port was open, now closed. Why?

ParanoidAndroid
29th December 2008, 09:28 PM
I've been using Transmission for a long time now and the default port (51413) has always been open and I've never needed to bother with port forwarding. As of a few days ago my downloads are super slow and the port is now closed. It seems any port I try is also closed.

I'm using a Siemens SpeedStream 4200 ADSL2 modem and an Apple Airport Express. I've forwarded the port on both and Transmission said the port was open (for a minute or two) but it's now closed.

I'm with Optus and as far as I know they aren't doing anything to affect bittorrent downloads.

Anyone have any ideas?

Huy
29th December 2008, 09:32 PM
Try another port/keep retrying on another port.
Configure your router.
Use port forwarding.
Use another client.

I am out of ideas after that.

ParanoidAndroid
29th December 2008, 09:35 PM
Try another port/keep retrying on another port.
Configure your router.
Use port forwarding.
Use another client.

I am out of ideas after that.

Unfortunately I've tried all that with no luck.

elnewb
29th December 2008, 09:48 PM
Did you port forward from your SpeedStream to the airport? You may have port forwarded on both devices to your computers ip address?

Currawong
29th December 2008, 09:51 PM
Your Airport Express should be in bridged mode I'm guessing (which means port forwarding isn't required in it as you'd forward the port in the modem directly to your Mac), there's no need for two modems to be running NAT.

elnewb
29th December 2008, 10:01 PM
Your Airport Express should be in bridged mode I'm guessing (which means port forwarding isn't required in it as you'd forward the port in the modem directly to your Mac), there's no need for two modems to be running NAT.

It's not necessary but it is the default if you just plug your airport express straight in.

ParanoidAndroid
29th December 2008, 10:05 PM
It's not necessary but it is the default if you just plug your airport express straight in.

It'll probably be set up as it came out of the box. In the Airport Utility under Status it's reporting a 'Double NAT' problem. Is that related?

elnewb
29th December 2008, 10:08 PM
Yep. Probably causing a conflict somewhere. Open Airport Utility and enter Manual Setup. then hit the "Internet" tab up the top. On this page there is a drop down box next to "Connection sharing". Make sure this is set to "Off (Bridge Mode)". Then Update your airport express. Check that port forwarding is set up on your speestream modem to your computers new ip address and your problems should be gone

ParanoidAndroid
29th December 2008, 10:50 PM
Yep. Probably causing a conflict somewhere. Open Airport Utility and enter Manual Setup. then hit the "Internet" tab up the top. On this page there is a drop down box next to "Connection sharing". Make sure this is set to "Off (Bridge Mode)". Then Update your airport express. Check that port forwarding is set up on your speestream modem to your computers new ip address and your problems should be gone

Thanks for that. It fixed the Double NAT issue. I tried to forward the port in the modem again but now the modem is saying, "Error - No NAPT entry number." :confused:

EdgeOfQuarrel
29th December 2008, 11:10 PM
port closed message in transmission happened to me once and it was due to the port checking website being down that's all.
as for speeds who knows?