PDA

View Full Version : Itunes Cd Burn Failure

zoso
14th May 2005, 04:20 PM
Went to burn a CD from iTunes for possibly the first time since purchasing my 17" Powerbook and got the following message ... "The attempt to burn a disc failed. The device failed to respond properly, unable to recover or retry". Tried a new CD, tried to burn a different playlist, all same result. Have burnt a DVD successfully before today.

Anyone had similar problems?. It sounds a bit hardware related to me, any known frimware issues?, any suggestions welcome. Have attached a screen grab. - Thanks ....

neilrobinson
14th May 2005, 05:00 PM
could be a couple of things;

have you updated / flashed the firmware of your PB drive (especially to make it region free?)
Installed patchburn?
Updated to the latest itunes (4.8.xxx)?
Tried to burn a cd using disk utility / toast?

Also the model of the burner you are using (can be found using system information) could be useful.

neil

zoso
14th May 2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have added the info you asked about below.

have you updated / flashed the firmware of your PB drive (especially to make it region free?)
NO

Installed patchburn?

NO

Updated to the latest itunes (4.8.xxx)?

TODAY 4.8 (31)

Tried to burn a cd using disk utility / toast?

NO - DON'T HAVE ANY OTHER SOFTWARE ON HERE TO USE!

Also the model of the burner you are using (can be found using system information) could be useful.

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-835E:

I can burn data DVD's from iTunes, I have tested it.

rob05
14th May 2005, 06:40 PM
I think what was meant by trying to burn a CD via disk utility is inserting a blank CD and droping any files onto/into it and trying to burn it that way. To see if you get any error messages whilst using disk utility.

Also what settings do you use whilst trying to burn CDs via iTunes?

Rob

zoso
14th May 2005, 07:03 PM
Inserted blank CD and tried to burn a few files, got the following error " Burning the disk failed because communication to the disc drive failed. (Error code 0x80020022)" - where do I find these error codes?

Settings for iTunes are... Disc Format - Audio CD and speed - Max Possible.

I don't feel it's an iTunes problem seeing as the above occurred.

rob05
14th May 2005, 07:16 PM
Hi

This could be a problem with the drive/cable and or damaged files within the main system folder which control CD/DVD burn support.

I have another question.

Do you have a Hardware Test CD that would of came with your powerbook?

If you do startup from that CD and run all the tests if there is a problem with the hardware this will show it up and be able to be fixed more easily.

Rob

zoso
14th May 2005, 08:34 PM
Did a search on the error code and found a stack of issues on other Mac forums with this type of drive, go figure.

Did the CD Disc Utilities thing on the software disc and there isn't much you can do to the DVD drive. No Joy there. Don't have any other disc repair utility that I know of.

I wonder if there are other Powerbook users out there with the same issue?!.

Thanks anyway.

rob05
14th May 2005, 08:38 PM
Hi

If it is under warranty just simply take it in and get the people at your local applecentre to check it out.

If it is out of warranty it is probably still the best thing to do have them check it out.

The problem could be something much worse.

Good Luck

Rob

Edge
14th May 2005, 08:46 PM
Have you tried reducing the burn speed? Or tried other brands of media?