PDA

View Full Version : can get on network but can't receive any data?

hazyinseptember
29th December 2008, 09:50 AM
hey peoples..

iphone has worked fine on all wifi spots since i got it..

BUT

i have gone to byron bay for a holiday for a week, house has a wireless network set up ( old netgear router ). My mac connects fine to the network, alas my iphone WILL connect but wont receive any data!

i looked up the dns that my computer is on and its very different from the one the phone gets, even when i renew the lease...

im sure its an easy fix but i tend to be a big of a newb when it comes to networks :confused:

any ideas?

nogi
29th December 2008, 01:00 PM
hey peoples..

iphone has worked fine on all wifi spots since i got it..

BUT

i have gone to byron bay for a holiday for a week, house has a wireless network set up ( old netgear router ). My mac connects fine to the network, alas my iphone WILL connect but wont receive any data!

i looked up the dns that my computer is on and its very different from the one the phone gets, even when i renew the lease...

im sure its an easy fix but i tend to be a big of a newb when it comes to networks :confused:

any ideas?

Is Wireless MAC Address filtering turned on the router? If it is, the phone would appear to connect ok but will not work. That is of course assuming that your Macintosh was previously already configured in the router (or is connected via Ethernet).

chrsha01
29th December 2008, 01:07 PM
Have a look at this, it may help. :)

Apple - Support - Discussions - iPhone won't connect to my Linksys ... (http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=7301788)

hazyinseptember
30th December 2008, 08:52 AM
Is Wireless MAC Address filtering turned on the router? If it is, the phone would appear to connect ok but will not work. That is of course assuming that your Macintosh was previously already configured in the router (or is connected via Ethernet).

we have 4 macs running of the router at the moment and only 1 was used to connect via ethernet to set it up... all the macs are getting service fine..

we now have 2 iphones in the house and neither can get on the network..

the computers ip addresses are coming up as the usual 10.0.0.x, while the router is trying to designate strange ip addresses to the iphones.. like 192.168.0.4 ???

i set the ip address in the iphone to static and gave it 10.0.0.1.. which seemed to connect to the router and gave it a proper looking lease.. but still no internet as and soon as the phone goes to sleep it gets a new lease back to the 192.168 numbers... i even tried setting the router setting to 10.0.0.1 on the iphone but no luck..

im loathe to try and update the netgear firmware ( if there is one ) but if i have to ill give it a go..

hazyinseptember
30th December 2008, 08:53 AM
Have a look at this, it may help. :)

Apple - Support - Discussions - iPhone won't connect to my Linksys ... (http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=7301788)

thanks for that.. closest to what i am experiencing !!

ill see if there is a firmware update for the netgear...

hazyinseptember
30th December 2008, 09:30 AM
hmmm... for some reason out of the blue i got a 10.0.0.x ip address and my iphone is on the network.. the other phone does not no matter how much we refresh the lease..

think its certainly a netgear router problem :S..

hazyinseptember
30th December 2008, 09:31 AM
no its gone again :(

hazyinseptember
30th December 2008, 09:37 AM
and its back... if i release enough i sometimes get a working ip??

Lumus
30th December 2008, 11:37 AM
What about manually setting the IP and DNS on the phone?

nogi
30th December 2008, 03:29 PM
and its back... if i release enough i sometimes get a working ip??

How big is your DHCP scope? Make sure the range is enough to cover the number of devices on your network.

Edit:
That's all assuming that a firmware update doesn't fix your issue

hazyinseptember
5th January 2009, 02:04 PM
fixed.. and the problem was...

stupidity!!!

some more people came to stay and bought their windoze laptops, which would also not get on the network..

so i hooked up via ethernet to update the router software, when i discovered that the router could also not get the internet in its setup wizard..!! WTF..

was not until i checked the router i discovered that the plug from the modem had been plugged into the lan port of the router and NOT the internet port...

once that was done everything worked fine..

sheesh

thanks for all your help guys!!!

nogi
5th January 2009, 02:09 PM
Oh PBKAM 8-)