PDA

View Full Version : Activation/Unlocking major help needed

jackal424
28th December 2008, 08:11 AM
Okay, so I'm really really new to this. So dont all beat me up at once.

What I bought: A used 2g Iphone (previously under att)
What I want to do: Use it on tmobile
Symptoms:
1) iTunes says "Activate your new phone"
2) QuickPwn does not enter DFU mode.

When I first got the phone, I think I made a mistake and did a complete reset data and settings. So now the phone stays at the slider screen and remains locked. I cant even do the stupid *3001... thing.

So I think it's because my phone is not activated.

That leads to first question,
1) do I need this to be activated first through ATT before I can use it on tmobile sim card?

Assuming I dont, I proceeded to using quickpwn 2.2.

going through all the correct procedures as outlined by iClarified. When it's time to do the whole home/power key interactions, this thing fails every single time. I cant get it to get in that mode.

This leads to my second question,

2) Do I need any sim cards to do this? I bought this as a gift, so I dont have his tmobile sim card nor do I have an att sim card. I just want to be able to give it to him and have him insert his tmobile sim and it work right from the beginning.

I've read everywhere how people can force restore mode and turn off phone and stuff, but the phone just stays at the slider screen no matter how long I hold down the power button (it dims, ,but I dont think it goes off).

What am I missing?
please please please help.

matthew858
28th December 2008, 08:14 AM
No, the phone doesn't have to be activated to be able to unlock it.

The reason that QuickPwn is failing may be because that you are using a Mac with 10.5.6. This version breaks DFU mode, something needed to jailbreak iPhones. The only solution is to use a Windows computer with Pwnage Tool for Windows, or a Leopard Mac that is on 10.5.5 or earlier.

jackal424
28th December 2008, 08:16 AM
No, the phone doesn't have to be activated to be able to unlock it.

The reason that QuickPwn is failing may be because that you are using a Mac with 10.5.6. This version breaks DFU mode, something needed to jailbreak iPhones. The only solution is to use a Windows computer with Pwnage Tool for Windows, or a Leopard Mac that is on 10.5.5 or earlier.

using vista.....

where can I get the pwnage tool? and what do I do after that?

matthew858
28th December 2008, 08:19 AM
Download the Windows Pwnage tool here (http://www.theiphoneguru.org/wp-content/uploads/QuickPwn22.zip). What you need to do is run that as normal. To find out if the phone refuses to go into DFU mode, hold down the home and power keys until the phone turns itself off, then turns itself on again. This is called a "hard reset". Don't let go of the keys until you see the Apple symbol on the screen, as you normally do when turning on an iPhone. Once your phone is working, it is good to do this about once a week to limit the risk of any software failures.

jackal424
28th December 2008, 08:27 AM
Download the Windows Pwnage tool here (http://www.theiphoneguru.org/wp-content/uploads/QuickPwn22.zip). What you need to do is run that as normal. To find out if the phone refuses to go into DFU mode, hold down the home and power keys until the phone turns itself off, then turns itself on again. This is called a "hard reset". Don't let go of the keys until you see the Apple symbol on the screen, as you normally do when turning on an iPhone. Once your phone is working, it is good to do this about once a week to limit the risk of any software failures.

i already have quickpwn 2.2. How long should the phone reset or show the apple logo after pressing the two keys?

hey, i'll give this a shot. Right now, i tried the hard reset thing, but I dont know if it worked or not.

1) unplugged from computer
2) While at the slide for emergency
3) Pressed both home and power keys
4) After 5 seconds the screen went blank
5) When I release one of the two happens:
a) sometimes the slide for emergency screen immediately pops up.
b) screen remains blank until I press the home key afterwhich the slide for emergency key pops up.

I never saw the apple logo in the middle. How do I know if my power button is working? I'm having doubt in that....

anyways...i'll try that other program...

matthew858
28th December 2008, 09:21 AM
When you do the hard reset, the screen should go black and an Apple logo immediately pop up:

http://www.appleiphonereview.com/images/iphone-power-on-s.jpg

What software version is the phone running? You need the PwnageTool version for that specific iPhone software version ie. PwnageTool 2.2 only breaks the 2.2 iPhone software. This is due to the fact that Apple changes the iPhone's baseband (software that makes the phone a phone) almost every update, and the method of cracking changes slightly.

jackal424
28th December 2008, 10:41 AM
When you do the hard reset, the screen should go black and an Apple logo immediately pop up:

http://www.appleiphonereview.com/images/iphone-power-on-s.jpg

What software version is the phone running? You need the PwnageTool version for that specific iPhone software version ie. PwnageTool 2.2 only breaks the 2.2 iPhone software. This is due to the fact that Apple changes the iPhone's baseband (software that makes the phone a phone) almost every update, and the method of cracking changes slightly.

I installed the latest firmware 2.2 using restore feature in itunes....

so I am using QuickPwn 2.2.....

I dont know whats wrong.....the 5, 10, 30 seconds thing never seems to work...

how can I test if my power button works...

ldavies273
1st April 2009, 08:18 AM
I'm having exactly the same problem, power/home hold on activation screen does not force powerdown, consequently cant get full DFU Mode

how did you fix this