PDA

View Full Version : Buy Now or Wait?



Chesty
27th December 2008, 10:55 PM
Hey Guys.

I'm ready to purchase a new MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz model but don't really know whether to buy now or later.

Buying now means that i will probably save around 10% in the post-chirstmas sales, but i was also thinking whether to wait till after Macworld, as there could be iLife 09 and possibly some other updates.

So if i do buy now and any updates come out at Macworld would i be able to return the laptop and exchange it for a new one, or be entitled to cheaper upgrade to iLife 09.

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Kuma
27th December 2008, 10:59 PM
damn.. read the actual question and saw my post was useless.:eek:

zeddie2001
27th December 2008, 11:04 PM
You won't be able to return the laptop, unless the place you bought it from is incredibly generous, or they're Apple and they're implementing one of their inconsistent policies.

You probably won't be entitled to a cheaper upgrade to '09.

My $0.02 - if you NEED the latest and the greatest, hold off. If money's the number 1 issue, then buy buy buy! Unless new hardware comes out, which is quite unlikely, you won't be worse off for having bought the machine with a discount then the new software, you just won't be ahead.

chrsha01
27th December 2008, 11:07 PM
You may as well wait now, it's only like a week and a bit left to go.

You don't want to see yourself disappointed with your purchase after Macworld if you decide to buy now.

What if an updated MB/iLife '09 is released? I bet you wouldn't be happy with that, especially since I doubt you'll get a refund/exchange.

Chesty
27th December 2008, 11:12 PM
Ok, thanks, ill probably wait. I'm not really expecting a hardware upgrade but it would be good if iLife and iWork 09 are released, and possibly a release date for Snow Leopard

takamine
27th December 2008, 11:18 PM
Aren't prices expected to rise next year? Not sure when they'll take place though. I'll probably wait myself as well and keep my fingers crossed for something new. If nothing new, then I've only just lost a week or 2 without a new MB/MBP.

samuelowens
28th December 2008, 12:15 AM
I think it's highly unlikely there will be significant upgrades to Apple's existing notebooks at Macworld, particularly given the current models are only a couple of months old. If you can get 10% off, do it. Better still, if you can find a place you know will still be doing 10% off on 7 January, wait...

downsys
28th December 2008, 12:50 AM
I think the 10% discount is worth more than purchasing a new iLife (assuming it comes out at macworld). And as others have said, it would be quite unlikely for Apple to release a new MB/MBP in January as it has only been 2-3 months since the unibody came out.

NeoRicen
28th December 2008, 01:20 AM
If the notebooks follow the usual upgrade cycle there won't be an update until April/May. They're only 2 months old!

Buy now.

dolbinau
28th December 2008, 07:35 AM
Aren't prices expected to rise next year? Not sure when they'll take place though.

Apple's laptop+refurb prices already rose so I doubt we'll see much at least after MacWorld since the $ hasn't change much I don't think.

But iMac/Mac Mini prices will probably increase after they are updated.

23isbackagain
30th December 2008, 08:23 PM
BUY NOW! there are some deals going around and by the time ilife 09 is in the box it could be 2+months and those cheaper prices might not be around either....