PDA

View Full Version : Logic Studio Question

Carve
26th December 2008, 02:44 PM
thinking about purchasing logic studio after i end up getting my keyboard

i was wondering... how many times can you install ls on macs? 3 times? more?

and if i installed it on a 120gb external hdd, am i able to fully use it on other macs without installing it?

thanks
Carv e

LennyX
26th December 2008, 02:48 PM
Not sure about Studio, but Express can be installed any number of times with the product key. I've had to do restores a couple of times and it was installed on both my iMac & MacBook at one point. The only problem is if you have Logic open on more than one computer on the same network. Logic quits straight away if it detects that going on.

And I don't know about installing on an external drive..

Carve
26th December 2008, 03:01 PM
thanks LennyX, i was wondering also, do you need studio to install express? because its $250 and i thought that it would be a lighter program, but it says you have to have older verions, right?

LennyX
26th December 2008, 03:25 PM
You might be looking at the upgrade versions.

Studio is the high-end pro version and Express is the step between Garage Band & Studio. Express the same as studio (or so I've heard - I haven't actually used Studio) but without all the Jam Packs built in.

If you don't have any prior versions of anything, these are the ones you'd be looking at:
Logic Studio - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/product/MA797Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MjE0NTQwMA)
Logic Express 8 - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/product/MA806Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MjE0NTQwOA)

Carve
26th December 2008, 03:55 PM
thank you Lenny! that is a really big help! so i can use Express before studio. Thanks man!

edit: also found out that if i wanted studio i can buy it for cheaper if i have express

LennyX
26th December 2008, 04:11 PM
Yeah I just found out about the Express -> Studio upgrade. I might do that for the next version...

marc
26th December 2008, 06:08 PM
Studio can be installed any number of times, but your license allows for use on one desktop and one laptop. I wouldn't worry about installing Express instead of Logic... I doubt it'd use less resources by much. Just make sure you don't install the extras if you're worried about hard drive space.

Carve
26th December 2008, 08:47 PM
im not worried. I'm just not sure if i should jump right into studio right now and just get express happening..

i only wanted to know about the External drive now, to see if i could (sorry if it sounds lame) cheat the system by putting it on an external drive.

but thanks Marc
(by the way, is it Marc from theduosseudo? if so, what do you use software/hardware wise?)

marc
26th December 2008, 09:08 PM
Yep, I'm half of Duosseudo.

We use Logic Studio with a Metric Halo Mobile I/O for audio, Emagic AMT8 for MIDI some old synths, some nice outboard gear and two mics... Shure SM58 and a Soundelux U195. I love Logic, it's brilliant.

We're using Ableton Live, real drums with triggers so they can play samples and some other bits and pieces for our live gigs.

Carve
26th December 2008, 11:31 PM
that is awesome. your music is really really good!

wondering how you actually got started in duooseudo? like what did you first buy/use. i want to start something up like your music with a mate of mine or a third into eletronic style music

really would love opinions on what equipment/material stuff other musicians use.
Thanks Marc

marc
27th December 2008, 07:48 PM
wondering how you actually got started in duooseudo?
Started writing music a while ago under a couple of other ( http://www.discogs.com/artist/Highland) names ( http://www.discogs.com/artist/In+Motion). First release was back in '96.

what did you first buy/use.
Now I'm going to sound old: I started back when you needed hardware samplers. So we all saved up and bought several of the high end ones... At one point we had two EMU E4XTs and a Kurzweil K2000. That's not good advice for today though.

These days we use Logic for production, including lots of instances of Logic's ESX24 sampler. We don't use many non-Logic plugins... just typically stick to the bundled ones. We do like using old analogue hardware synths and guitar pedals. Current favs are a Roland JX3P and Korg Poly 800, although the 800 is new enough that it didn't make it onto the album.

really would love opinions on what equipment/material stuff other musicians use.
It's pretty varied.

A lot of guys use soft synths and a bucketload of 3rd party plugins. However, it also seems like a lot of artists have taken the path we have, using old analogue synths instead of digital plugins—it seems to be so much easier to get "vibe" on a record using old gear.

As for a place to start. If I was setting up from scratch again, I'd probably have this as a kit list:

- A quick Mac, probably an iMac or Mac Pro (I use a Mac Pro right now)
- An audio interface. I'd buy the Metric Halo I'm using now again in a flash... it's brilliant and surprisingly sounds a lot better than my old MOTU interfaces
- Logic Studio
- A MIDI interface (can't get the AMT8s anymore, which is a shame... they were the best on the market).
- A lot of old synths, and use one as a master keyboard. Some options: Moog ARP2600, Roland Juno 106, Korg Poly 800, Korg Mono/Poly, Roland JX3P, Roland JX8P, Oberheim Matrix-1000... basically lots of second hand kit.

Carve
6th January 2009, 02:16 PM
thanks Marc for your help
the music that I would like to start is sort of EletroPop with Vocals. Its a new range I'd like to get into. My list so far (note i am a student so money doesn't come quite as easy and i thought starting now would help for the future)

- iMac 20" (already have)
- Express
- Axiom 25 ($250 from Mac Store AU)

and thats all I have, all music would be through MIDI files (like drums and stuff) so they'd be easy to use through Express (or logic) which could be played live (which I want to do) with the Axiom.

any help would be awesome, thanks for that list. Just would like to know how you set them all up, like a tutorial would be awesome man. But im sure you have better things to do. If you wanted to, are you able to recommend specific things i need. which would be awesome. Sorry about all the questions

thanks! Carve

marc
11th January 2009, 08:08 AM
- iMac 20" (already have)
- Express
- Axiom 25 ($250 from Mac Store AU)
Once you have a decent Mac, Logic and a MIDI keyboard, you have everything you need to make some killer instrumentals. Any other bits of gear beyond that is just going to improve things, but might not be necessary.

any help would be awesome, thanks for that list. Just would like to know how you set them all up, like a tutorial would be awesome man.
In terms of setup, it's all pretty simple.

You plug the master MIDI keyboard into your Mac (or into a MIDI interface that plugs into your Mac). You plug the output of your Mac into your amp/speakers. You fire up Logic and you're away.

What I have here is plugged in using a million cables etc, but it's essentially the same. Anything MIDI is plugged into the MIDI interface that talks to the Mac via USB. The output of the Mac comes via an audio interface, that also records other sources. Logic runs the show.

Carve
11th January 2009, 03:36 PM
thanks Marc, but when you logic runs the show, does that mean Express or Studio?

cheers (p.s I brought We Are One and it is awesome, I left a good review)

marc
11th January 2009, 04:16 PM
thanks Marc, but when you logic runs the show, does that mean Express or Studio?
For me it's Logic Studio (or Logic Pro... "Logic Studio" is the package that includes Logic Pro, Mainstage, Waveburner etc).

Logic Express is really, really, really capable though. So if that's what you can afford, then grab it.

Cheers (p.s I brought We Are One and it is awesome, I left a good review)
Thanks!

There's two freebee's here if you want them (different songs to what's on the album): Duosseudo - We Are One (http://www.duosseudo.com/)

Carve
11th January 2009, 06:18 PM
already downloaded the two freebies and their alsome!

would a iMac 20" 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, 250GB HDD be fast enough to run a live show?

(i will be upgrading to a 4gb RAM and a bigger HDD with a few externals)

marc
11th January 2009, 06:56 PM
Yeah, that'd do the trick.

Carve
11th January 2009, 09:25 PM
what about a white macbook. 2.1ghz, xxx HD and 4gb RAM ?