PDA

View Full Version : Mouse and mac

Philljc
26th December 2008, 11:01 AM
There is a really annoying problem with any mouse I try.

On my PC (with the two mice I have) it is so accurate when moving it anywhere, it goes pixel by pixel for the slightest movement.

On my MBP (same two mice) it seems to not work as well. If I drag it really slowly it only picks up movement every now and then. Working with CS4 this is so frustrating because I bought the MBP as a work computer but I keep reverting to my PC just so I can do it all right.

I had the same problem years ago when I used a Mac mini and I don't get why its all so different when they are using the exact same mouse. I have tried changing all mouse settings, tried some accelerator program and even an older MBP but it seems to be a Mac issue.

I'm sure a number of people 'wont even realise' or 'have no issues' but when you're trying to animate without using values and using the mouse to do it all, or to do some plain drawing with the mouse its very apparent.

bartron
26th December 2008, 11:28 AM
If your serious about accuracy then you really need a digitiser. Even something like a wacom Bamboo is better than just a mouse.

However, one thing you can try doing is Control+scroll to zoom in on your screen and you will at least see how much control you have over the mouse (as well as being able to see the part of the screen you are working on a lot better)

Philljc
26th December 2008, 12:51 PM
If your serious about accuracy then you really need a digitiser. Even something like a wacom Bamboo is better than just a mouse.

However, one thing you can try doing is Control+scroll to zoom in on your screen and you will at least see how much control you have over the mouse (as well as being able to see the part of the screen you are working on a lot better)

Digitsers / tablets are the worst. I shouldn't have to result to that just because a mouse doesn't work as good as on a mac.

And zooming isn't going to work when drawing objects with the paint brush / lines tools where you need to see what you are drawing at 100%.

And it makes no difference with how the mouse works anyway, it still doesn't move accurately when the mouse is moving.

bartron
26th December 2008, 02:19 PM
Digitsers / tablets are the worst. I shouldn't have to result to that just because a mouse doesn't work as good as on a mac.

And zooming isn't going to work when drawing objects with the paint brush / lines tools where you need to see what you are drawing at 100%.

And it makes no difference with how the mouse works anyway, it still doesn't move accurately when the mouse is moving.

Sounds like you need a digitiser...I know they are the worst so I'm not sure why everyone keeps using them and raving about them though :rolleyes:

If the mouse is erratic in general then:
a) if it's a ball mouse, clean the ball and rollers
b) if it's an LED mouse then change the surface you are using it on (shiny surfaces and fine grained surfaces can confuse it)
c) check/change the mouse settings
d) get a laser mouse.

dolbinau
26th December 2008, 02:22 PM
The problem here is it works fine on Windows not OS X. He does not have a problem with the mouse...I can't help you - but I'm sorry it isn't working for you, have you tried searching google? It might be a common issue.

LennyX
26th December 2008, 02:55 PM
You could try installing Steermouse (http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/) and playing around with the settings on that. It gives you a lot more control over the mouse than the standard OS X settings.

bartron
26th December 2008, 03:32 PM
The problem here is it works fine on Windows not OS X. He does not have a problem with the mouse....

I realise that. I don't know if he is using the mice in the same workspace all the time (i.e. using the same mouse on the same surface in both computers)...it's always worth asking and worth ruling out. My comments about getting a digitiser relate to his mentioning of using CS4 and animation...I speak from experience when I say nothing beats a digitiser for working in these environments and for finely controlled selects.

The other issue is that the OS X generic mouse driver is a lot different to any supplied driver. e.g. when using an MS mouse on OS X you should download and install the drivers for it. Not only do you get access to any special buttons but the mouse cursor behaves more consistently with the same mouse on XP. Philljc, what brand/model mice are you using?

Philljc
26th December 2008, 04:44 PM
Philljc, what brand/model mice are you using?

Tried an Apple mighty mouse (works better on a PC :confused: ), a "basic optical mouse' from Microsoft, a Compaq N3 and a Microsoft laser mouse 5000.

It is definitely not the mouse, or the surface I am using it on. I will make a video (if I can find something that catches the mouse on mac) and post what I mean in comparison, next time I fire the MBP up.

jubilantjeremy
26th December 2008, 09:07 PM
Here is a thought. Given that it seems to be specific to the MBP (not the mouse, not the surface) - have you got any other USB devices plugged in?

I'm thinking the mouse data could be 'interefered' with by other devices. Perhaps there is a USB fault?

If you open Console.app, do you seen any USB messages? I have a problem with the USB connection to the bluetooth module on my macbook, and spews out error messages into Console.

Jeremy

Philljc
26th December 2008, 10:24 PM
Nope, nothing else, just the charger. And like I said I remember the same thing back on the old Mac mini I used to use at my old job, but I just put up with it and bought a Windows laptop soon after.