PDA

View Full Version : Turn Off Powerbook

simonpeng
14th May 2005, 02:38 AM
I am a very new user of Powerbook, less than 2 weeks.

During this two weeks, I hardly shut down it.
I usually just close it and when I need to use it I just open and start.

Is that alright I just close the scrren, or it's better to shut down it when I go sleep?

When I use Windows, I never have this question in mind, because I need to reboot it very often. So if I am going not to use the notebook, I always shut it down.

It seems my powerbook never crashes no matter how hard I try it, so should I shut it down if I am not going to use it for several hours such as 8~10 hours or 1 day.

Thanks~

daOutlawz
14th May 2005, 04:57 AM
I'm a new user too, 2 weeks now aswell ;)

apparently the powerbooks and iBooks can last a long time in sleep mode, when I say long, I mean like weeks. Normal Apple notebook users will probably tell you that they hardly shut them down.
I do only out of habit, and coming from a WinXP computer, I am used to memory leaks, so I would often restart my WinXP machine to keep the memory clean.
So far, my Powerbook is faster when kept on then when I turn it off. But still out of habit, I shut down.

If I were you, I would do a restart every week or so, just to keep the memory clean. Even though memory leaks might not occur that often.

gelfie
14th May 2005, 05:02 AM
I often left my iBook on for more than a month at a time. I just slept it. No big deal. I think my best up time was 45 days.

grimmy
14th May 2005, 06:01 AM
Welcome to Mac OS.

I never shut my PB down, in years I have never routinely shut down my iMac. This is one of the pleasures of using the mac platform instant on!

mvjs
14th May 2005, 07:09 AM
Well windows does crash but I've got mine running 15 days and counting. I know OS X is stabiler but windows isn't that insecure, but any way I still like Mac better :)

purana
14th May 2005, 07:20 AM
I leave my powerbook on all the time.. I just sleep it when I take it somewhere... and yes mac os is very stable. I think my machine has about 48 days uptime, although thats because I haven't installed any patches that need a reboot.. ie. 10.3.9 ;)

simonpeng
14th May 2005, 07:46 AM
Thanks a lot for the information!

During this 2 weeks, I only reboot 3 or 4 times. Upgrade to Tiger from Panther, Clean install Tiger again, Upgrade memory and maybe 1 or 2 times more cuz I am not using it for a while.

After you guy's confirmation, I think I can safely leave my PB on all the time.

Galumay
14th May 2005, 08:30 AM
i almost never put my pb to sleep, let alone shutting it down. my understanding is that it is better for the computer to stay warm all the time rather than changing in temperature as this reduces the liklehood of condensation. (more of an issue for me in the tropics).

p53
14th May 2005, 05:07 PM
I only restart for upgrades. The only time I shut down is when I know I won't be using the PB for more than 3 days in a row and that hasn't happened since I bought the thing about 12 mth ago.

p53.

headkicker
14th May 2005, 09:52 PM
i just bought my pb too..so far 1 week without rebooting

when i used to have my ibook, i think at one stage it was on for about 90 days without a reboot. :thumbup:

Quamen
14th May 2005, 10:51 PM
$ uptime
22:54 up 8 days, 5:42, 2 users, load averages: 0.13 0.17 0.14,

And that is nowhere near how long it has stayed on for. The only time I restart my powerbook is when an update or other software installation requires it.

Sleep is your friend.

saggsy
14th May 2005, 10:58 PM
my 12" PB is literally an extension of my body, open it up, instant on and connected to broadband via my wireless network. love it.

the_OM
14th May 2005, 10:59 PM
I only restart for updates.

It'll be perfectly fine. We should start a thread where people show screenshots of their uptime.

McMullet
14th May 2005, 11:01 PM
I shut down my PB everyday. I think it's just out of habit. I know it's stable but I guess that part of me is still stuck in the Windows world. Although, the longest I've been is 5 days. That's so lame compared to everyone else :(

darknight84
14th May 2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by galamay@May 14 2005, 08:30 AM
my understanding is that it is better for the computer to stay warm all the time rather than changing in temperature as this reduces the liklehood of condensation.
So let me understand this. None of you shut down at all?! I thought that there was a higher risk of system problems if I left it on all the time. When you put it into sleep mode what happens? Im still new to the mac world.

How true is the system temperature change and condensation? I probably should do the same thing with mine starting tonight. :unsure: :D

Waragainstsleep
14th May 2005, 11:38 PM
My old PowerBook G3 is left on 24/7 except when I'm fiddling with it. And it runs 10.3.9 So its taken 6 years to for the OS to get too far ahead to run on my PowerBook. (Tiger developer version runs though:))
The battery no longer lasts long enough to warrant taking it very far these days, but when I used to, I just slept the 'Book. It remains capable of months of uniterrupted uptime.

Thats the real beauty of the Mac: Can you imagine a 6 year old windows laptop, running XP (which I will point out is older than Panther) for months on end (or at all for that matter)? No. Its never happened. Not anywhere. Not even a freak occurance. If you've heard tell of this happening, you've been lied to........etc, etc.

vargz
14th May 2005, 11:46 PM
Well, I too am new to Mac (typing on my two day old PB :) ).

Anyway, I have been RTFM as I learn to use my new toy. The suggestion given direct from the manual is to sleep the PB if you're not using it for a 'short time' and to shut it down if your not using it for a day or two.

simonpeng
15th May 2005, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by the_OM@May 14 2005, 10:59 PM
I only restart for updates.

It'll be perfectly fine. We should start a thread where people show screenshots of their uptime.

Where can I check how long is my mac on?

applecollector
15th May 2005, 12:25 AM
yea it's true, i heard somewhere that if you shut down and restart your computer on a day to day basis it will wreck your computer in the long run but it you keep it on it will last longer! :-)

saggsy
15th May 2005, 01:10 AM
mine stays on, i use it everyday, but there has been times where i have left it sleeping for a few days (not plugged into power). i hate shutting down. Well i dont hate it but when i have to do it, like when updating etc, it feels like it takes ages to boot up (even though it only takes a minute or so). Besides i like leaving apps open so that i can instantly come back to things later, without rebooting and re-opening apps.
I would like to know where to get the uptime? I have seen it once before, i think it was via a Terminal command?

saggsy
15th May 2005, 01:17 AM
ah ha. open Terminal and type 'uptime' then press enter. it will say how long the computer has been on.

darknight84
15th May 2005, 01:17 AM
interesting...well ill put it into sleep mode then from now on. I want my precious powerbook to last as long as possible.

mac_man_luke
15th May 2005, 02:38 AM
Some how my PowerMac ends up with a reboot for some reason but i never shut it down

Currawong
15th May 2005, 08:36 AM
My wife's iBook has its lid closed whenever not in use. It's run for 97, then 115 days like this. The runs ended when we respectively went overseas and installed 10.4.

Quamen
15th May 2005, 10:29 AM
Not having to shitdown is also really good when trialing new software that has a limited number of uses before you have to pay. I "trialled" Accounts for 6 months by just leaving it open permentantly before I had to bite the bullet and pay for it. Well worth the money though.

mac_man_luke
15th May 2005, 03:40 PM
Just made an uptime widget

http://widgetdeveloper.com/newskin/widget.php?id=84

Just tells you what the terminal command "Uptime" does but in a nice and easy way

headkicker
15th May 2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by mac_man_luke@May 15 2005, 03:40 PM
Just made an uptime widget

http://widgetdeveloper.com/newskin/widget.php?id=84

Just tells you what the terminal command "Uptime" does but in a nice and easy way
just downloaded it....very nice

good job :thumbup:

mac_man_luke
15th May 2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks!

birdseed
15th May 2005, 04:22 PM
Leaving it on overnight also assists the OS. Being Unix based, it runs a set of utility tools in the wee hours of the morning to ensure your OS runs smoothly and efficiently. I think they are called CRON? If I leave my PB on overnight, I merely dim the screen (keep those pixels alive and kicking). It all works seamlessly. Ahhh..... PB bliss.

suryo
15th May 2005, 04:59 PM
Wow, just checked the uptime on my highly modified, overclocked clamshell. 58 DAYS :o

suryo
15th May 2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by birdseed@May 15 2005, 04:22 PM
<snip> Being Unix based, it runs a set of utility tools in the wee hours of the morning to ensure your OS runs smoothly and efficiently. I think they are called CRON? <snip>
Macaroni (http://www.atomicbird.com/) is a utility that checks to make sure these scripts are run at the scheduled times. If a scheduled maintenance routine was missed due to the machine going to sleep or being switched off it will run it when the machine is idle for a few minutes. So you don&#39;t need to leave your computer awake all night to keep it healthy. Why couldn&#39;t Apple think of that?

glenmorrow
15th May 2005, 06:09 PM
Wow I think the person who started this thread didn&#39;t bargain on such a big response.

I leave my PB on all the time, its great for uni, when you walk into a lecture, and just open the screen and its all there ready for you to start writing notes/etc.

simonpeng
15th May 2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by glenmorrow@May 15 2005, 06:09 PM
Wow I think the person who started this thread didn&#39;t bargain on such a big response.

I leave my PB on all the time, its great for uni, when you walk into a lecture, and just open the screen and its all there ready for you to start writing notes/etc.
Exactly right, I thought maybe just 4 or 5 reply and now there are 3 pages.