PDA

View Full Version : parellels 4.0 or fusion 2?

led-zep
25th December 2008, 11:47 AM
so im in the process of using some windows software for my place of employment, and since i havent used a windows pc in a number of years, i want to train myself before i go for my new job in things like outlook and other windows software. out of the current paralles 4.0 and fusion 2 which is the best, in terms of virtualised software for running xp/vista? in terms of performance, speed and overall stability

bennyling
25th December 2008, 12:23 PM
Fusion 2, hands down.

Speed - it just feels faster than Parallels. This is an important consideration when choosing a VM product.

Performance - even though it is technically slower (by about a percent or two) behind Parallels 4, Parallels 4 feels slower by comparison.

Overall Stability - Fusion is leaps and bounds ahead in terms of stability.

For a more detailed analysis, see Ars Technica's review of Parallels 4 here:
Review: Parallels 4.0 for Mac: Page 1 (http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/parallels-4-review.ars)

MissionMan
25th December 2008, 01:46 PM
I've had parallels for a while now and have never had issues with.

maghemi
25th December 2008, 01:59 PM
I've tried both of them. To me fusion 2 just feels much more polished than parallels. And it just seems to be easier to use and set up.

melbmac
25th December 2008, 02:35 PM
I tried parallels for a while and ended up scrapping it due to un-solvable issues (their support team could not work them out either).

Next year I am going back to uni which apparently requires windows so I am interested to hear ehat people say on here about Fusion.

geektechnu
25th December 2008, 03:26 PM
Depending on your requirements, VirtualBox is worth a shot.
For general use it seems very stable and is completely free.

chrome
25th December 2008, 05:30 PM
+1 fusion. VMware are the kings of VM tech.

dev_enter
26th December 2008, 07:25 PM
Fusion. Parallels does a lot of weird stuff that Fusion does seemlessly.
I've supported both (education) and would hands down prefer Fusion.

dev_enter
26th December 2008, 07:28 PM
Forgot to mention, but thus far, Fusion updates have been all free whereas that hasn't been the case with Parallels. Not sure if this will continue into the future but it influenced my decision to go with Fusion.