PDA

View Full Version : iMac Display Weirdness

kyte
25th December 2008, 04:54 AM
Since the last major update to leopard (I think, I cant be certain) I have been having oddities with my display (20" iMac, 24ghz... the mid 2007 model).

At first, I didnt worry about it because it only seemed to be on facebook... photographs seemed to be lesser quality.. almost as if my display could only show them in 256 colour. Unfortunately it now (as of this morning) seems to be happening all over the display and I cannot work out WTF is happening. I can't even take a screen grab, because when I do, the grab doesnt even show the issue.

What it looks like is that a piece of gauze has been draped over the screen. A screen which ought to be black has some light areas with this gauze effect. a normal screen shows it in bands which seem to rise from various coloured areas on the screen, and stretch to the top of the screen.

a mouse pointer has a black streak emanating from it and going to the top of the screen. But not all the time.

The top third of the screen is worst affected, but all parts of the screen are affected to a greater or lesser extent. Its as if bands of light are streaking up to the top of the screen from the coloured areas... dark colours produce the worst effect, light/white almost nothing at all.

I have done a quick scan at apple discussions but havent found anything relevant at this stage. I'll repost this, there, as well. (edit: unable to post in discussions, dammit. the thing just sits and spins)

Posted on the blog, with pix Hamarana Serious Issues Continue (http://www.hamarana.com/?p=1163)

Thanks for any and all suggestions on Christmas Day: I am just hoping its not a hardware issue... guess who didnt take applecare. oops.

Sighhhh. Merry Christmas everyone.

Wally
25th December 2008, 07:12 AM
Contact Apple soon, they might help you out even though its out of warranty.

Merry Christmas back to you!

kyte
25th December 2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks Wally. I turned the computer off... it occurred to me that it had not had a rest for a while, I have just been resting the display overnight, not even sleeping the computer... and now... all those weird things have gone. {Edit: cancel that... just a few mins later and its all starting again]

I'll contact Apple next week.

Wally
25th December 2008, 09:41 AM
Tried re-calibrating the display?

Im just trying to think of things that Apple will ask you.

iGobbleoff
25th December 2008, 10:10 AM
sounds like video card? might be up for a replacement?

kyte
25th December 2008, 02:24 PM
Tried re-calibrating the display?

Im just trying to think of things that Apple will ask you.

Yep, tried that. Also installed Bootcamp and Vista, thinking that I might narrow it down to hardware or software.. (ie if it persisted in Vista then it is likely a hardware issue).

Sadly, the problem exists in Vista on Bootcamp as well.

More sadly, there is NO way I can afford to replace the screen. Looks like its back to my still functioning eMac til I can raise the funds, whatever thay may be, to replace the screen or video card (the latter being most likely I guess... but taking it to the store even to get it looked at is more than I can afford at the mo)

kyte
25th December 2008, 02:24 PM
sounds like video card? might be up for a replacement?

Seems like that could be the case. Curses.

Rogerthatv2
25th December 2008, 02:39 PM
I would contact Apple, yes there is a warranty of 1 year and you may not of purchased Apple Care but the there is also the fact that a product must work for a fair and reasonable amount of time. Not give up the ghost 3 months out of a 1 year warranty. Contact Apple, explain your issue and see what they have to say.

I had an issue with my iMac a few weeks back, 8 days out of warranty and Apple Phone Support allowed me to purchase Apple Care for it, turned out to be a software issue with iTunes but they were still very helpful.

kyte
25th December 2008, 05:21 PM
I would contact Apple, yes there is a warranty of 1 year and you may not of purchased Apple Care but the there is also the fact that a product must work for a fair and reasonable amount of time. Not give up the ghost 3 months out of a 1 year warranty. Contact Apple, explain your issue and see what they have to say.

I had an issue with my iMac a few weeks back, 8 days out of warranty and Apple Phone Support allowed me to purchase Apple Care for it, turned out to be a software issue with iTunes but they were still very helpful.

Thanks for that advice, Roger, yes, come Monday I will give them a call and see what can be done.

kyte
27th December 2008, 09:02 AM
I thought it would be prudent to run the hardware testing thingy... Damn thing says there is nothing wrong with any of my hardware, when clearly, there is.

Any ideas? Anyone? Could it be possible that some hardware item might be failing but NOT detected with the Apple Hardware Test? Could dodgy RAM cause it? Mind you I have only had one kernel panic on this machine... cant even remember now what I was doing... hmm.. but its *possible* that the screen issue has been happening since then... I just can't remember when it was I noticed the prob, and if it was before or after.

kyte
29th December 2008, 08:23 AM
I keep adding to this thread as new stuff comes to hand.

I decided, against my better judgement, to revert to Tiger on this machine. Remember, I am thinking I have a hardware issue, so it did not really make a lot of sense to even think this way. I reinstalled Tiger on Saturday and initially it was "sighhh... problem still here". But over the past two days, the light banding is fading, and the screen is almost back to normal.

None of this, or anything that has preceded it, makes even the slightest bit of sense to me.