PDA

View Full Version : emailing on the iphone? {simple q}

Carve
23rd December 2008, 09:00 PM
yes, i know there is a mail app

but if your on a prepaid, if you send mail through the app. will it just charge data? or what is the price or how to do it?

sorry for this simple questions.
thanks

bdude
23rd December 2008, 09:01 PM
Yes, if you use the Mail app it will use whatever data connection your phone is configured to use.

matthew858
23rd December 2008, 09:01 PM
What company are you with for your iPhone? Telstra or Optus? You will have to buy a data pack from your carrier or pay massive data fees.

Carve
23rd December 2008, 09:09 PM
thats the thing. I dont have an iphone yet (:()

so im deciding now Telstra Prepaid (1c text + data) or Optus... so which is better for data

(say $30 recharge gives 20mb data for telstra and 50mb data for optus) though there are data packs from telstra. opinions?

thanks for answering my question so quickly people

haydio
23rd December 2008, 09:11 PM
On Telstra prepaid its $10 for 100mb

wmyeoh
23rd December 2008, 09:12 PM
Keep in mind, if you're only using it for email, you will go through bugger all data in a month, assuming you're not downloading massive attachments. You'd be lucky to go through 50Mb a month I would imagine.

Optus would have more generous data plans I'm sure.

chrsha01
23rd December 2008, 09:20 PM
What will you be using the data for? Just emailing?

Carve
23rd December 2008, 09:25 PM
yes. Emailing and blogging

mainly sending email with image attachment. For blogs and updating twitter etc. etc

and some browsing occasionally. like watching youtube or itunes store

battye
23rd December 2008, 09:32 PM
iTunes can only be used in wi-fi zones. YouTube can work on 3G.

Image attachments might use up a bit. Offhand I don't know how big an iPhone image is... maybe 500kb? Or maybe it is scaled down for emails... I don't email many photos so I can't really help you there.

It sounds like you will be a regular user though, you will probably want 100MB at least.

Carve
23rd December 2008, 09:39 PM
okay. Thanks battye

i was also looking at Boost Mobile

for $50
$50 credit
$150 mybonus (what is that?)
Unlimited SMS and MMS to Optus and Boost Mobile
Unlimited Call Minutes to Optus and boost Mobile
200mb myData
30 Days Expiry
Recharge within 30 Days & rollover free text and unused credit. can someone tell me what that means? (im alittle clueless with phone crap)

boost is 3g yes? their optus also i heard

edit; or for $40 gets the same unlimited text, 400 minutes to optus, $100 mybonus and 100mb data