PDA

View Full Version : Xlr Microphone To Power Mac G5

dangelovich
13th May 2005, 08:15 PM
Hi

Anyone know if there's any harm in connecting a microphone with an XLR connector to a Power Mac G5's microphone plug? (using adapters, obviously)
I'm not too worried about quality, just getting it connected right now...
I want to make sure i can't damage anything...
If it helps, the microphone is a Shure SM58.

- David

mac_man_luke
13th May 2005, 08:30 PM
It should be fine!, just make sure that if you are using adaptors you dont go piggybacking numerous adptors and then hang that weight straight off the mic in port

dangelovich
13th May 2005, 09:13 PM
Is there a way to get decent volume happening?
I connected it up, and it was getting audio, but I had to really yell to get any noise to register on the volume level meters...
Should I be using a pre-amp, or can the mac do this for me?

grorr76
13th May 2005, 09:32 PM
ok this is a good question for me, being a sound engineer. simple answer is u cant use a sm 58 into yr g5 without a mic pre, signal needs to be amplified at mic level not line level

dangelovich
13th May 2005, 09:57 PM
Just as a guide, what's a basic pre-amp worth?
Also, is it possible to damage the mac by connecting the wrong things, or sending in too much power from a mic?

mac_man_luke
13th May 2005, 09:57 PM
I never said it would work well ;)

fompsweeva
13th May 2005, 09:59 PM
Meow.

If you were using a powered mic, you'd be able to get away with using a line converter.

But as stated above you'll need a pre for your normal mic.

mac_man_luke
13th May 2005, 10:02 PM
probhably best off with something like this:

http://www.behringer.com/UB502/index.cfm?lang=ENG

grorr76
13th May 2005, 11:09 PM
one of those beringer mini mic pres would do the trick, not the nicest sounding box out there but will fullfill yr needs nicely for using a sm58 with a mac, yll need a 1/4 inch to mini jack converter to go from the lead into yr mac as well as 2 leads one from yr mic into the pre and one from the pre to the mac..