PDA

View Full Version : iPhone died in Frankfurt, now I cant roam!!!

theov
23rd December 2008, 08:35 PM
Hi All

just arrived in Europe after 4 months in North America, only to have my iPhone work for 5 minutes in Frankfurt before dying!!

I got roaming onto T-Mobile and received a couple of SMS's, since then however the phone will not connect to a network.

If i look at carriers in my settings i can see a list of the carriers where i am (currently in prague if that makes a difference) but the phone refuses to connect to them and has either "Searching" or "No Service"

Any ideas???? I'm kinda freaking out about not having a phone while travelling around Europe so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks, theov

mitty
23rd December 2008, 08:40 PM
Turn on flight mode, wait 5 minutes, turn off flight mode. See what happens.

theov
23rd December 2008, 08:44 PM
Sorry I should so that I've tried leaving it both off for extended periods (5 minutes +) with flight mode off as well as had an hour flight with it on/off with flight mode on the whole time. I've tried flicking flight mode on and off several times to try and kick start it somehow, all to no avail.

thanks for the reply though :)

mitty
23rd December 2008, 08:46 PM
Are you running software 2.2? this sounds like an issue from the 2.0 days I used to have, but as soon as 2.1 came out they vanished.

PS is it freezing in Frankfurt? :D

kevinnugent
23rd December 2008, 08:49 PM
It may be the carriers in/around Prague too, theov. Don't panic. Are the carriers in Prague 3G? Try turning off 3G and see if that works. I had this happen in France and after turning off and back on after a few minutes it connected OK.

mitty
23rd December 2008, 08:53 PM
^Yep, what Kevin said. Revert to GSM and I imagine your problems may vanish, which for SMS and voice calls should be fine. Unless you're a millionaire I wouldn't recommend using data though as overseas roaming tends to be a tad pricey, if it works at all.

kevinnugent
23rd December 2008, 08:59 PM
There are three main mobile phone operators in the Czech Republic -- O2, T-Mobile and Vodafone.

A fourth operator, U:fon, entered the Czech market in June 2008. Unlike the big three, who use a GSM network, U:fon uses a CDMA mobile network. This means that phones which work on the U:fon network don't work on other networks, and vice versa.

So....turn off 3G.... hope that helps. Sitting at the Internet cafe in the airport??? :)

battye
23rd December 2008, 09:36 PM
As everyone else has said, try switching 3G off. If for some reason that doesn't work, I guess you could also try taking out the SIM card and re-inserting it. That might kick-start it for somehow.

Don't panic, if you have any further problems, I'm sure a local retail store (T-Mobile, Vodafone, etc) will be able to help you out :)

theov
24th December 2008, 03:31 AM
Okay, thanks for the replies. I should be a little more specific, I am running the original (not 3G) iphone on software 2.1 (i have 10.5.6 and have read that it has problems with the iphone jailbreaks, so i dont wanna mess with the software).

So i cant really turn of 3G unfortunately, as I said it worked for 5 mins in Frankfurt airport.

Is it possible that going through the x-ray machine could of fried it somehow??

Now in prague with no real hope in site, and as it is a jailbroken/unlocked phone i cant really take it into someone! :(

thanks so much for the replies so far, keep 'em coming if you have any ideas!

theov

kevinnugent
24th December 2008, 08:38 PM
Well, I'm stumped, theov. Have you tried taking the SIM card out for a while and re-inserting it?

sighclops
24th December 2008, 09:20 PM
i would try and avoid international roaming where possible. as there is no communication / paper trail between your home telco and adopted telco, it makes issues IMPOSSIBLE to resolve (ie. charging for "mysterious" data/voice usage you didn't use)(thanks 3, $1500 taken from me)

just buy a cheap local sim (prepaid of course) and use that.... (trust me)

theov
25th December 2008, 03:03 AM
im not worried about the cost, I am on prepaid so it will stop working when i run out of credit, and tel$tra supprisingly allows you to purchase data packs on prepaid and you can use them overseas so you get really cheap data.

so the phone was absolutely perfect for travel, had all my travel documents, emails, maps worldwide and ability to contact anyone right in my pocket.

now i have a glorified ipod :(

i have tried taking the sim out and putting it back, but unfortunately that has also resulted in nothing positive! :(

i am going to try and wipe the phone and reinstall 2.1 or 2.2 perhaps on it, even though it will probably not work still at least its trying something i figure.

thanks for the replies, any future ideas i would be happy to hear!

theov

battye
25th December 2008, 11:29 AM
Maybe buy a local prepaid phone? Or a local prepaid SIM as suggested above and put it in the iPhone.