PDA

View Full Version : Apple Mail and other bundled apps

mctext
23rd December 2008, 04:48 PM
By and large, I don't use many of the apps that come bundled with OS X.
Most of them aren't much use for what I want to do.
Cf a real film editor using iMovie -- it's like a real writer using TextEdit.
And I've never used Apple Mail.
The online gmail interface is OK for me as far as email goes.
So I'm an Apple Mail stupid.

But I have a co-Mac pal who is shortly to retire and now has to use his gmail account because his work account will expire soon.
He's done all the config you need (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=86393) to send/receive gmail messages in Apple Mail.
But the attachments part of Mail is weird.

When he sends me a .png/.pdf file, it appears (visually) in the received message as a very small version.
But there's no obvious place for me to download his original.

What's going on here?

mctext

TJA77
23rd December 2008, 05:11 PM
If you look at the top of your email message with the attachment in it and see this:

Subject:
Date:
To:

Under this you will see a small triangle or arrowhead, If you click this, this will expose the original attachment
I hope this is what you mean?

MissionMan
23rd December 2008, 05:37 PM
I have this issue with some attachments in mail although not PDF's, mainly images. For some odd reason, if you click on the image and select "show as attachment" it only sends a thumbnail to the recipient. Haven't found a solution for it.

mctext
24th December 2008, 09:48 AM
Yeh, that's the problem: it's with my mate's sending attachments from Mail.
When I receive a mail from him (in the standard gmail interface) attachments only show up as thumbnails.
Normally the gmail interface has an icon of the attachment at the bottom of the mail and the options to "View" or "Download".
So is this a known bug with Mail, or is there something I haven't figured out?

mctext

marc
24th December 2008, 10:36 AM
I believe Mail embeds attachments, rather than just attaching them. He can probably change this by sending a plain text email (it's an option in Mail).

Btw, don't discount Mail or TextEdit, they're both BRILLIANT. I use TextEdit all the time. There's also some other hidden gems in the bundled apps (Grapher, DigitalColor Meter, Quartz Composer).

mctext
27th December 2008, 11:12 AM
Marc,

Ta for that.
Let's see if it works.

[[Edit: Yes! all is now well with graphic-only downloads -- much thanks again.]]

Not knocking TextEdit.
I use it all the time too: for notes and text-only holds.
But I wouldn't write a magazine or journal article in it ... that's all!

mct

elnewb
27th December 2008, 11:28 AM
Marc,

Ta for that.
Let's see if it works.

[[Edit: Yes! all is now well with graphic-only downloads -- much thanks again.]]

Not knocking TextEdit.
I use it all the time too: for notes and text-only holds.
But I wouldn't write a magazine or journal article in it ... that's all!

mct

'sif. I use it for writing my how-tos for mactalk, which include numerous images ( Example (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/20/60608-how-elnewbs-guide-your-own-web-server-your-mac.html)) . I'd write a novel in it if I was any good at writing :P

mctext
27th December 2008, 03:57 PM
Yeh, images are OK.
Now try footnotes!!
:)

mct