PDA

View Full Version : DVD utility problem

RobD
22nd December 2008, 08:42 PM
I was playing a borrowed DVD on and off yesterday and today, on my iMac. When I went to resume it for a third time the DVD player would not launch. (This was just after I upgraded the system to 10.5.6.) I shut down and repaired permissions, with the following result:

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Reading permissions database.
Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r----- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.usbmuxd.plist", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/setregion" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Printers/IOMs/LPRIOM.plugin/Contents/MacOS/LPRIOMHelper" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Group differs on "private/etc/cups", should be 0, group is 26.
Permissions differ on "private/var/spool/cups/cache/rss", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x .

Permissions repair complete.

As a result, the DVD player launches again, and it successfully plays one of my DVDs (a Harry Potter, to be precise). I have not dared to try the borrowed DVD again.

What does it all mean? What should I do?

RobD
22nd December 2008, 09:48 PM
I'm sorry if this seems a really boring or trivial question, but I'm not an expert in decoding error messages, and I'm quite anxious about what might have happened and what may or may not happen in the future.

Anybody got any advice? I'd be most grateful.

leon
22nd December 2008, 09:56 PM
The only thing to me that looks slightly related to DVD player is this.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/setregion" has been modified and will not be repaired.

What region is the DVD that you are trying to play? Is it Region 4, or something from overseas?

timothy
22nd December 2008, 10:04 PM
I would not worry at all... DVD app may have got stuck in a loop.

I have used a fair amount of Macs and had some crazy stuff happen. Never once have I felt the need to repair permissions, It is not really ever going to repair anything.

The shutdown/restart would have been enough.

RobD
22nd December 2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks for these comments.

Leon - The region issue never arose. My DVD region is set for Australia, and all the DVDs just played, without asking questions about regions.

Timothy - Thanks for your reassurance. You're suggesting that the warnings relate to files modified by the update to 10.5.6 and don't really have anything to do with the problem I encountered?