PDA

View Full Version : OLD classic's

bnk
2nd June 2004, 12:16 PM
Hey guys new to tha board, and new to macs, at the school were i work at they have a bunch of old classic and power pc macs that i need to format, as i can't find any disks at the school to format them, i was wondering if there is anything anywere were i can download and put onto a floppy disk to format the drives, as we can "sell" old macs to people with information still from the school on it, i am only looking for an format, i dont want anything else..

thanks

Disko
2nd June 2004, 12:24 PM
You might find what you need here: http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

But i'm not sure what model your computers are...

edit: welcome to appletalk! Thanks for joining up. :D

bnk
2nd June 2004, 12:37 PM
i can get you a list of the different models when i get to work, im also not sure, what to download aswell...

and i was also wondering, can i make a boot/format disk in windows to format the old macs with ?

Byrd
2nd June 2004, 10:43 PM
Go to Apple's website, you can freely download up to Mac OS 7.5.3 from there. The software installs are provided on disk images, which CAN be viewed and formatted under Windows using the utility HFV Explorer (http://gamma.nic.fi/~lpesonen/HFVExplorer/). Single 1.44MB Mac OS boot disk images can also be found at Bootdisk.com (http://www.bootdisk.com). A working one of these is probably all you need, to be honest.

A Windows 68K emulator such as Basilisk II (http://www.kearney.net/~mhoffman/basiliskII/system753_tutorial/) is also capable of doing mounting, formatting and copying these images to floppy, once you having a working emulator.

As for formatting the hard disk themselves, you just need a working Mac OS floppy with a copy of Drive Setup (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/321) on the disc. Boot the Mac from this floppy, run Drive Setup, click on the relevant drive listed, then format. Some older versions of Drive Setup only work with Apple-branded hard disks, but this version should work with generic IDE and SCSI drives without any problems. You could also remove the hard disks, plug them in your PC and FDISK and FORMAT the partitions from there.

Let us know what model your Macs are to see if any of the above is worth changing.

Oh, and welcome to the forums :)

JB

bnk
3rd June 2004, 11:54 AM
Hey thanks bYrd thats a big help

well here are the models im currently going to try to format

Power PC 7220/200
5500/225

Performa 580 CD

And a imac or two, but i have the cds for that, so im hopeing it all goes well :)

Byrd
3rd June 2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by bnk@Jun 3 2004, 11:54 AM
Power PC 7220/200
5500/225

Performa 580 CD

And a imac or two, but i have the cds for that, so im hopeing it all goes well :)
You may need a System 7.6 system disk to boot up the PPC 7200, 5500 and 6360 machines - that's probably the earliest system they would support.

The Performa 580, a 68K machine will also work off a 7.6, or 7.1 and above boot disk.

All that said, what sort of boot CDs did you have for the iMacs? If it's a System 8.5/8.6/9.x CD, this will make formatting the PPC machines much easier, as it'll work in those too. Place the CDs in each machine's CD drive at startup, hold down 'c', and it'll boot from there. A copy of Drive Setup can be found in the utilities folder of the CD.

Good luck,

JB

bnk
3rd June 2004, 05:27 PM
Hey thanks,

that imac cd saved me heaps of time, there was only two the didn't format, and i think they had bad cd-rom drives, there was also a powerpc g3 (i think) and that formated fine, also the imac did fine aswell :P , now when i get back to workl next week i have same mac classics to do, hopefully i can be bothere to get the disked ready before i get to work :rolleyes:

thanks again, i may need help lata aswell :blink: :)

Disko
3rd June 2004, 06:13 PM
So this is for your school? Are they selling them? If so - let us know. There are probably a few buyers reading this thread right now. :)

Currawong
3rd June 2004, 09:37 PM
I'd say, try and find someone selling an original Mac OS 9.1 CD. At least then, the system will be compatible with later internet and similar software.

bnk
4th June 2004, 12:43 PM
ok heres the thing

Yes the school is selling them, but i dunno whats going on with this as yet, but i can get back to yous later on this if anyone is interested.

Now, the computer (macs) will be wiped clean, ie. come with no software or anything just the computer, as the guy that did the macs years before i was even outta school, took all the software (we think) as there is nuthin in whole school that i can find that will work on any of the macs, i have found some system disks, drive disks, but non of them work ;) .

and im also thinking of getting one of there imacs, as i have never really used a mac before so may aswell learn :)

Disko
Posted on Jun 3 2004, 06:13 PM
So this is for your school? Are they selling them? If so - let us know. There are probably a few buyers reading this thread right now.

I am the tech at the school, PM me or something if anyone is interested, the school i work at is in WA, in the south west region, when i get details on selling stuff, i will ask the principle if hes willing to sell it to people far away, but i think he just dumps it out on a certain day then people come from everywhere, to get the macs

i also have a problem or two, one computer, wont read the imac cd (powerpc 7220/200) and one of the performa 580cd macs, it will try and load the imac cd, but it just comes up with the mac computer logo with a mean face in the middle of it ???
Just wonderinf if anyone would know anything about that .

Byrd
4th June 2004, 01:21 PM
If you could list what you have on the FS section once they're ready, that'd be great. Obviously not many of us are in WA, but small items ...

and im also thinking of getting one of there imacs, as i have never really used a mac before so may aswell learn

If it's an original Bondi Blue iMac, beefed up with plenty of RAM even that would be a good starter for running OS X 10.3. Later 'colours' even better.

i also have a problem or two, one computer, wont read the imac cd (powerpc 7220/200) and one of the performa 580cd macs, it will try and load the imac cd, but it just comes up with the mac computer logo with a mean face in the middle of it ???

Probably just a dodgy drive on the 7220, or may have too little RAM install to boot from the CD (OS 8.6 + need 32MB+ of physical RAM). You could pull the hard disk and format it in another Mac if need be, or dump another IDE CD-ROM into the machine to boot from (brand name CD drives often boot Macs, but cheap no-name brands probably won't).

The Performa 580 is a much older 68K machine, and doesn't run Power Macintosh software - ie. any system later than OS 8.1. You'll need a boot floppy for that one.

JB

bnk
9th June 2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by bYrd@Jun 4 2004, 01:21 PM

The Performa 580 is a much older 68K machine, and doesn't run Power Macintosh software - ie. any system later than OS 8.1. You'll need a boot floppy for that one.

JB
Im pretty sure i wiped on of those, last week but im not sure so i will check when i get into work today..

and i will talk to the principle about if he would post, anything away, but im not sure, has everything he getting rid of is big, eg. comps, printers, but if anyone would like a list i can get one sooner or later, depending if there is any other work i have to do.. :)

also i didn't know where to put this, but i was wondering if i do get one of the imac (cause i wanna learn macs), can i hock it up to the net thro my Other PC ??

thanks

the_argon
9th June 2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by bnk@Jun 9 2004, 12:15 PM
also i didn't know where to put this, but i was wondering if i do get one of the imac (cause i wanna learn macs), can i hock it up to the net thro my Other PC ??
Yep, you sure can. If your PC has a network card ofcourse :P

bnk
9th June 2004, 04:34 PM
Hey guys i feel like a total n00b, i can't seem to find or make a bootdisk for the macs, i need bootdisk so i can format the HDD for the 580cd's and older version like classic and classic 2, i have fin formatting all of the other ones but i cant seem to get a bootdisk, if anyone feels like talking to me on MSN or icq , we can do that, im thinking of talking an imac home, and connected it up to the net so i can just make bootdisk from that , would that work ????

Thanks for all the help, but i just dont get it yet :unsure:

Byrd
9th June 2004, 09:16 PM
You can download a slew of Mac System boot disks here. (http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/bootdisks.html)

Do you still have a working, bootable Mac? Copy the .bin file to a floppy, mount it under the Mac and expand the file under Stuffit Expander (similar to .zip files, eg. you'd use WinZip for PCs, and Stuffit for Macs). Now just drag these files to a blank floppy. Make sure you have a copy of drive setup on the disk (some of the images listed on the site above include this already). Restart, boot from this new disk.

JB

Edit: found another site that lets you do this all on your PC, look here! (http://mes.emuunlim.com/tips/bootdisk.htm)

bnk
9th June 2004, 09:55 PM
ok, thanks dude, will try when i get to work....

see i dont get paid for doing things at home, but i have to if he wants me to do it, but i am learning new things aswell :P .. so it is ok i guess ;)

but its better if i doit at work :)

anyways, i really really thank you for your help, and i hope i can learn more, or hopefully get this done and over with :rolleyes:

EDIT: oh and sorry guys can't sell anything, principle told me today ;) , some crap about blah blah :lol:

bnk
10th June 2004, 04:37 PM
OK so i finally made a boot disk, but now the 580cd says i need to update the files on the boot disk as they are too old to boot it :( , what do i do now :unsure:

EDIT: i just found another 580 in a classroom and the disk doesn't work and that one aswell ...

LCGuy
10th June 2004, 07:17 PM
What system version did you put on the disk? The 580 won't run anything before System 7.1.1 (System 7 Pro). Although its easier to download a System 7.5 Network Access disk and load it with the goodies you need. :)

bnk
11th June 2004, 04:28 PM
i loaded a 1.4 meg floppy with that system 7.5 network access ..

So i do not know whats going on

bnk
17th June 2004, 04:01 PM
Hey guys sorry bout me ask for heaps but i suck at macs..

anyways, im sitting here trying to find a way to remove the hdd outta the performa 580cd so i can format it in another mac...

i have taking the back plates of and i can see the hdd but i dunno how to get it out..

;) ill sit here and try to do other things, but i dunno what to do, and ive done a search on the net but i can't find anything....

thanks

LCGuy
17th June 2004, 06:44 PM
Ok, as you already know, if you sit the 580 in front of you, with its @$$-end facing you and the cover off, the HD will be on the left hand side, above the mobo, on a plastic sled. There's a bit of plastic underneath the HD, coloured beige. lift it up, and then pull it straight out. This is the HD carrier, attached to the HD. After you have pulled it out, disconnect the cables. To reinstall the HD, connect the cables, line up the carrier with the mounts on the machine, and push it all the way in till it clicks into place.

HTH

PS: If you want the service manual, PM me.

bnk
18th June 2004, 02:40 AM
ok thanks..

i did find that little plastic pit and pulled it up and tried pulling it out, but i didn't aplly to much pressure just in case, that what i didn't need to do....

thanks for the help :P

LCGuy
18th June 2004, 10:31 AM
Yeah, you need to use quite a bit of force.