PDA

View Full Version : Prepaid iPhone??

voiletmay
22nd December 2008, 03:12 PM
I've already got an ipod touch, but I am getting an iPhone tomorrow by express post. I just got an email confirming its delivery with this message:

Inside the box you will find your new Telstra Prepaid phone number along with the Iphone and Sim Card already inserted. You will need to activate this number in order to use Telstra services or if you have another provider you will need to insert their sim card into the phone. Simply go to http://telstraprepaidplus.com.au, follow the yellow icon “Activate your Pre-Paid mobile here”, then enter the mobile number on the card and follow the steps.

So, obviously this means that the iphone I am getting is unlocked. I was wondering what kind of experiences others have had with telstra, optus, vodafone, etc? Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to get data/internet access prepaid aswell, is that possible? I read something a while ago about something if you bought a $49 vodafone prepaid recharge. My current phone is with vodafone, so I am happy to stay with vodafone and give that a go first.

Just want some recommendations thanks!!

matthew858
22nd December 2008, 03:37 PM
Just wondering, how did you order this iPhone?

The phone will be locked to whichever carrier's SIM you put in first then sync to iTunes. iTunes will then subsequently do the locking for you.

voiletmay
22nd December 2008, 03:51 PM
Hi Matthew, thanks for explaining that to me. Oh dear, I had no idea, I thought I could pick and chose between providers as often as I like as I can with a normal prepaid unlocked phone.

I won the phone in some competition, so that is why I don't really know much about it.

Oh dear, I don't really want to be stuck with telstra. But if I put in my vodafone sim that is in my current phone, I'm stuck with vodaphone. Oh dear, that is not very nice, I wanted to play.

So what do I chose, telstra or vodafone? Other ones? Anyone got any advice?

Thanks

WindowsVista
22nd December 2008, 04:13 PM
If your happy with Vodafone, go with them.

hinow2007
22nd December 2008, 04:18 PM
You can activate with the Telstra sim and then request for an authorised unlock. Which means your phone would be unlocked completely. But it costs money.

voiletmay
22nd December 2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks.. hm.. I'm looking around and finding that prepiad vodafone data is a rip off, so I might just use wifi at home, and at uni (my uni has instructions of how to set an iphone/touch up with the vpn), and disable mobile internet from working.

I just get rather annoyed with vodafone when I go away on holidays, because there is always no coverage.

leon
22nd December 2008, 04:29 PM
Did you win this in a Sensis competition?

voiletmay
22nd December 2008, 04:31 PM
No, it was a Nivea competition at woolies.

voiletmay
23rd December 2008, 07:36 AM
Still trying to make up my mind. I just rang vodafone only to be told that I will be charged 1 cent a megabyte, that it is very expensive, and do I want him disable data from my vodafone sim from his end, otherwsie everytime wifi disconnects it will automatically go to mobile internet and be really expensive. LOL!! Atleast he was honest.

I don't mind doing this, but the only thing I am worried about is the "location". With my ipod touch I have many apps that are useless as my ipod touch doesn't autolocate (I figure this is because it doesn't have the gps in it). Is this going to be a problem when I am out and about with an iphone if I don't have mobile internet enabled?

To use the full gps feature (maps) I figure I will need either wifi or mobile internet. But does the "location" thing work by GPS co-ordinates only, or does it need the map in the background somehow.

macropneuma
23rd December 2008, 08:55 AM
Still trying to make up my mind. I just rang vodafone only to be told that I will be charged 1 cent a megabyte, that it is very expensive, and do I want him disable data from my vodafone sim from his end, otherwsie everytime wifi disconnects it will automatically go to mobile internet and be really expensive. LOL!! Atleast he was honest.

I don't mind doing this, but the only thing I am worried about is the "location". With my ipod touch I have many apps that are useless as my ipod touch doesn't autolocate (I figure this is because it doesn't have the gps in it). Is this going to be a problem when I am out and about with an iphone if I don't have mobile internet enabled?

To use the full gps feature (maps) I figure I will need either wifi or mobile internet. But does the "location" thing work by GPS co-ordinates only, or does it need the map in the background somehow.

Yeh, your are stuck on needing a data connection for that, in the iPhone it is assisted GPS (A-GPS) which speeds up the getting of a location fix and may improve the accuracy - the assistance comes via the internet!

BTW sorry to seem contrary, i would go with Telstra if you can, perhaps get a healthy data allowance because the iPhone is designed to be always connected, even if only using data at a little rate, for GPS, for live email, and many of the apps available like instant messaging, multi-player games, voip, etc. all of which once you have the option you probably will want to use when you are moving, travelling, on a bus, on a train, and away from wifi which is stationary.

Jase.

chrism238
23rd December 2008, 08:57 AM
Still trying to make up my mind. I just rang vodafone only to be told that I will be charged 1 cent a megabyte, that it is very expensive.1 cent per megabyte, that's $10 per gigabyte, is a bargain!!

voiletmay
23rd December 2008, 09:59 AM
LOL chrism238, must have been per kilobyte then and I must have got confused. LOL!!

It's definately way too expensive with vodafone unfortunately.

Thanks macropneuma, I may have to look at telstra again.. sigh.. I've read so many bad stories re telstra and iphones on this site and on whirlpool.

Gee when this iphone comes I'm going to be too scared to stick a sim in it LOL!!

Tragedies
23rd December 2008, 10:02 AM
You could try Optus. Go with them for a bit and once you use a certain amount of credit (I think it's about 60-90 dollars but not too sure) you can simply asked to get it unlocked. At least that's what I remember from a while back.

Bosox76
23rd December 2008, 10:07 AM
With Optus you no wneed to have recharged the phone up to $120 before they will unlock. It was $80, but it recently went up. But once you've reached that limit the unlock is very easy to get done.

voiletmay
23rd December 2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks Tragedies and Bosox76. Looks like it will have to be optus. I found where my local optus world store is, and will go and chat to them today (neded to go to that shopping centre today for another reason anyway).

Trabb
23rd December 2008, 10:29 AM
Just be careful with optus prepaid and data. They bill in 60kb increments, so if you send one email, for say 2kb, it will be billed as a full 60kb. Surfing the internet will be fine, as you'll be likely to hit those larger sizes in a bit of time, but I'd be careful about some settings... I'd set emails to fetch only and make sure push is off.

EdgeOfQuarrel
23rd December 2008, 10:56 AM
How did nivea givin away an iphone go under my radar?maybe coles didn't have the promo *damn*

It's just like when Resches had a promo to win an original restored EH Holden *double damn*

OP from what you said they wrote I see that as being totally unlocked with a courtesy sim card from telstra as a way to get you to sign up with them.Maybe you could ring helstra and give them the imei number to check the status of the phone?
For all intents and purposes it's unlocked activated already?i'd put in my old sim and turn it on see what happens.

decryption
23rd December 2008, 11:02 AM
May I suggest not going on pre-paid and getting a plan with a proper data pack?
If Vodafone's coverage annoys you, there's only one way to go - Telstra, as they have a much larger network footprint (particularly in regional areas) than the other competitors.

iCameron
23rd December 2008, 11:46 AM
I won the phone in some competition, so that is why I don't really know much about it.

CONGRATULATIONS! I wish i won an iPhone.

Honestly if your not that attached to it, ebay it im sure you could get a pretty penny.

If not, go with 3 they seem to have the cheapest 3G plans, provided you really care about data.

Also, give Telstra a call about unlocking, I'll find a number for iPhone support for you.

voiletmay
23rd December 2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the congrats iCameron and thanks everyone for your help. Well the phone came and just as predicted I don't know what to do with it LOL!! Looks almost identical to my ipod touch.

Before it came I went to the Optus shop and she insisted that it is impossible to get an iphone sent to me or sold without being locked to a carrier, and that there was no way that if the phone came with a telstra sim that I wouldn't be able to use it with optus. So when the phone arrived I took EdgeOfQuarrel's advice and rang telstra and quoted the imei number to be told that it wasn't locked with telstra at all.

Might try ringing optus now to see if they are any more knowledgeable than their shop staff.

Thanks for all the help, still haven't decided 100%.