PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Number Porting

MackingmyMac
22nd December 2008, 03:03 PM
Hey guys,

I got my iphone on Friday but am still awaiting my number to be ported from 3 to Virgin (on the optus network). I leave for overseas on Thursday but have been told between 3hrs & 5 working days for the number to be ported. I can use the iphone (with the virgin sim & no. supplied to get on the 3G Network and make calls but only using the virgin number). I have also requested the phone be unlocked.

Is it safe to update to 2.2 before the iphone is unlocked and has anyone had a long or delayed experience awaiting their number to be ported...is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

Thanks people for your advice in advanced!! ;)

Exocet
22nd December 2008, 03:17 PM
Call to check to make sure that there were no problems with the porting - sometimes there have been problems and you won't know about it unless you call.

Lumus
22nd December 2008, 06:14 PM
Porting is supposed to take no longer than 4 hours (this is actually set by the government) assuming that all systems are running on all carriers. Sometimes porting can go down for up to 24 hours, and transfer will be delayed in this case. Unless you give them incorrect information when you connect or the system is down, the transfer should occur relatively quickly.

MackingmyMac
22nd December 2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks guys. When I called the first time they quoted 3hrs to 5 working days, this has remained the same response everytime I've called. Do you know if it will help if I update to 2.2?

EdgeOfQuarrel
22nd December 2008, 06:30 PM
my port from virgin to optus took 4 days and 12 phone calls.

i was told 2 hours in the optus store.

conufsed
22nd December 2008, 06:37 PM
In my experience virgin seem to suck at number porting... good luck!

I didn't find any combination of phone calls or complaining actually did anything