PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about Unibody Macbook...queries

bigmouth
21st December 2008, 08:39 AM
Hey all...

I've got a 24" iMac, but also now planning on adding a MacBook to the family. Here's a few observations/queries.

The 13" MB seems to have a lesser quality screen, every one I've looked at (apart from being a bit too small) appears to have a milky/contrast look to it, yet looking at the 15" MBP, it has a much clearer/nicer display

Are there still issues with the keys from the keyboards on both variants making impressions into the screen when the lid's closed ?

Are the lids a bit top heavy as I remember reading once or twice ?

Has anyone started using the 15" MBP for the type of video editing the former version (17") was ?

Anyone think it's worth waiting til at least Boxing Day to see if discount sales pop up ?

TheKeddi
21st December 2008, 09:11 AM
OK I can answer one or two, but I'm not a heavy user.

Screen does show the keys on it in the right light, I noticed it a couple of weeks ago.

My screen isn't top heavy so I don't have a problem with that.

Screen for me is big enough, depends on how much you need and how much money you have, if your keeping the imac then you have a big one already?

Sales started already, JB hifi had a good one on not long ago mentioned on here. I don't think they can do much more in the new year, They need the money before xmas this year.

Bosox76
22nd December 2008, 08:46 AM
OK I can answer one or two, but I'm not a heavy user.

Screen does show the keys on it in the right light, I noticed it a couple of weeks ago.

My screen isn't top heavy so I don't have a problem with that.

Screen for me is big enough, depends on how much you need and how much money you have, if your keeping the imac then you have a big one already?

Sales started already, JB hifi had a good one on not long ago mentioned on here. I don't think they can do much more in the new year, They need the money before xmas this year.

+1

But loving it!! If you're seriously thinking about it, i'm sure you won't regret it.

STK
22nd December 2008, 08:54 AM
IS that the MB or MBP?

henhen
22nd December 2008, 02:27 PM
I wouldnt really wait until boxing day really. the economy has been really tough for most business..

they have been throwing out discounts (JB latest promo with 10% disc) throughout the year.. so yeh.. I wouldnt expect any discount to be really "wow" on boxing day.

maybe you could get some discount but not as big as you might expected..

In fact I recently bought Macbook Alu 2.4ghz (yesterday to be precise) from JB Hifi. RRP price is $2549 but I paid only $2449 and the sales guy even gave me a sleeve as bonus. $100 off.. not bad eh?

there have been quite some discussion over the mb & mbp display. I also wondering the same thing.. are they different? I couldnt really spot any difference at the store..

bigmouth
23rd December 2008, 10:19 AM
Maybe I'm just picky, but I'm certain the viewing angle on the 13" is far less vertically than the 15", and in general it just looks cleaner.

Landmark Computers (Melb) have it for $2979, which is far less than anyone else, although David Jones will price match for upfront (but not for the interest free, etc). If only Harvey Norman sold Macs, I could do the no repayment thingie :)

MissionMan
23rd December 2008, 10:24 AM
If you are really worried about the keys, STM has a keyboard cover specifically for macbooks that covers it perfectly and doubles as a screen cleaner.

EdgeOfQuarrel
23rd December 2008, 10:46 AM
praise your lord HN doesn't sell macs.
As far as the whole boxing day sales craze goes it's 99% of the time old stock that's on sale not really the big ticket items that they know they can sell a week later still at full retail price so waiting those 3 extra days is your call.
Which (theres 3) macbook is in your sights anyway?
White one?Keyboard on screen?negatory on that one here.
Screen?Never weighed it.Maybe a bit lighter than a key of yeyo.
As for the displays has anyone else noticed places like DSE,Domayne ect will not be aware someone has gone into the settings and recalibrated the screen so it can be red,blue whatever colour sitting there on displa looking like adogs breakfast? This wouldn't go under the radar at somewhere like the Apple store or a smaller 'boutique' reseller.
Yeah I like that B word ..... I overheard some uberdork at MSY say macs were boutique computers for runway models.So I'm running with it.....

dche5390
23rd December 2008, 05:38 PM
I believe I replied to your thread on WP.
I am not expecting any boxing day sale.
The viewing angle and "blacks" are much better on the MBP, and you pay for it.

bigmouth
23rd December 2008, 07:02 PM
Edge - I'm looking at the 2.4ghz MBP 15" - I'm avoiding DSE (even though they do have 10% off, or did have - until about an hour ago !!!). I'm trying to combine part payment with a GE style of thing, but the interest they'd tack on would not benefit me.

I'm either going to go DJ's with the 'no repayment til Feb' (but i have to get an Amex card), part pay with card, part with cash OR Landmark at a reduced price, but would have to front up a fair bit of the dosh and have to wait a while.