PDA

View Full Version : notebook problem

royalblush
21st December 2008, 02:13 AM
hey,
my mac just started to fail upon boot and would show flashing folder with question mark
its the newest macbook, and when i hold option on startup to get to the screen for selecting boot device it only comes up with and install OSX icon because leopard 10.5 is in the dvd drive...and i figured i need to reinstall the OSX because it wont boot..but for some reason as it goes to install.. it reboots and then 'should go to installation screen of some sort,' but it just loops, i read up on the internet and reseted the PRAM, im not a total tech wiz. but if anyone can help that'd be great

is there some kind of way i can plug the hd into my xp desktop and install OSX or at least set the drive up so its HFS or fat32 which ever its meant to be so the drive will show up when holding the option key on bootup.

p.s. the hard drive and dvd drive work as i install a copy of xp to see if the hardware was the problem..but xp installs fine and then i put bootcamp for drivers..

thanks in advance
rb

Wally
21st December 2008, 02:20 AM
You didn't erase the OSX partition while installing XP did you?

royalblush
21st December 2008, 10:40 AM
yer id say its gone
what can i use to boot it up to recreate the osx partition if the leopard dvd just loops when i click the arrow to complete startup process ..after i held option and clicked on install osx

Lumus
21st December 2008, 12:44 PM
yer id say its gone
what can i use to boot it up to recreate the osx partition if the leopard dvd just loops when i click the arrow to complete startup process ..after i held option and clicked on install osx

This should boot into the OSX installer running from the DVD (will take a few minutes to load). Try holding "C" when you reboot to see if it makes a difference.

royalblush
23rd December 2008, 12:35 PM
yer when i hold c down it just loops and loops...
the only thing that works is holding the option key, which shows a cursor and no option to boot from except when the leopard dvd is in, it then reboots, which im guessing to start installation etc.. but it just restarts again ..and again..
im currently trying to install the osx from an older mac onto the harddrive for the newer mac externally..not having too much luck at the moment, i also got tech tools pro and disk warrior..which dont boot from on the new mac..
maybe i should just throw it in the bin!!

klif
23rd December 2008, 12:52 PM
Take it into an Apple Store or Apple retailer for them to take a look?

I have never seen a Leopard install DVD not boot up to the installer, at least to the point where you can launch Disk Utility (to create the partition scheme) from the Utilities menu.