PDA

View Full Version : Video Editing

saw71
2nd June 2004, 11:43 AM
Hi, i just got my first apple computer, it's a 15" powerbook. What i want to be doing on it is mostly video and picture editing amd music. I have been playing around with imovie and its a great program but..... What i have done is captured a movie and added songs to the movie. At some scenes, what i want to do is lower the volume of the song so you can hear the people talking (and just hear the song lightly in the background) and then move the volume back up. Is there a way i can do this with imovie, Im not sure if final cut pro can do it but there is no way i can afford $1400 for it.

Also with iphoto i have the photos orgainsed in the folders that i want, i imported them into iphoto and it put them into lots of small directories which isnt organised at all. Is there anyway to keep the folders how i want them and still have the albums as the folders in iphoto.

Disko
2nd June 2004, 12:30 PM
Hey, welcome to AppleTalk. :)

Switch iMovie to timeline view (by clicking the little clock) and then you should see your video tracks and audio track. Just tick the 'edit volume' check box at the bottom of the screen and then click on the horizontal lines inside the tracks to create a 'key frame' - or whatever you want to call it. You can then move that point up and down to change the volume level for that part of the movie.

- because i just rambled out an answer, i'll attach a pic...

hawker
2nd June 2004, 01:50 PM
Like Disko said... He'z a switched on guy ;)

Anyway, you might wish to consider Final Cut Express, which will only set you back $500 (non edu), I've heard it best described as "iMovie on steroids"...

saw71
2nd June 2004, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the replies, i will try it tonight when i get home. $500 is still a bit expensive.

saw71
2nd June 2004, 02:42 PM
I found a place for final cut express for $165 education price, I am not a student or teacher myself but have relatives who are students. could i use there student card to buy it at that price.

Disko
2nd June 2004, 02:48 PM
Your relatives could buy at that price...

... who they give their gifts to is up to them.

saw71
3rd June 2004, 07:58 PM
I got the music volume all working fine now, thanks for the help :)

Now im am trying to a add mpg clip i have on dvd, it won't let me drag it into imovie, is there a way to add a mpg.

Currawong
3rd June 2004, 09:30 PM
From memory, if you have Quicktime Pro (basically, you've bought a serial number for Quicktime on your machine, which allows Quicktime player to edit and save files) you can open the mpg with it and resave it as a movie which can be imported into iMovie. It's been a while since I've tried this though.