PDA

View Full Version : Apple -> Iphone

cosmichobo
13th May 2005, 06:05 PM
Wouldn't it be interesting if Apple weighed into the mobile phone industry...

Logical extension from the iPod... or rather... logical extension of their whole computer technology... I'm sure they would create a very innovative machine capable of many things we'd never imagined before.

Ok, so it would probably be 5-10 years ahead of its time... but still...

Mikey
13th May 2005, 06:18 PM
On this subject, and sorry if already covered on other threads, does iCal sync easily to mobiles via bluetooth, ie upload calendars, appointments and alarms to the phone, and download from the phone to iCal. I am considering a new mobile, but only if it has bluetooth and the calendar function syncs with iCal. Any ideas anyone??

Snowy28
13th May 2005, 06:21 PM
Ya, easy.

http://www.apple.com.au/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

Sony Ericssons are best for it, and can also run salling clicker

http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/

downsys
13th May 2005, 06:22 PM
last time i tried with a SE P900, it made doubled my iCal events and address book contacts. very annoying. (doubles appear on phones only, mac seems fine)

i.e
1.00 Lunch
1.00 Lunch

8.00 Dinner
8.00 Dinner

But i might've done something wrong with settings.

about the iPhone. this topic has been discussed before. do a search.

Mikey
13th May 2005, 06:25 PM
Thanks, folks! Unbelievable quick response. Who needs a helpdesk at Apple or ISP when you have Appletalk!

tranp
13th May 2005, 06:45 PM
It might just be me but I'd rather NOT see Apple move into the mobile phone market, instead maybe create a new 'modern' Newton.

I don't really want to see Apple become the 'iPod' company, although it probably did help turn a lot of potential switchers to the macintosh platform.

I think that Apple screams out creativity and elegance and by entering other closely related markets I believe that they will start to lose this image.

But of course, they are a large corporation so they are always thinking of the bling bling. <_<

WonderBoy
13th May 2005, 06:59 PM
I want to upgrade my SE T68i to a new bluetooth phone. Is SE still the brand to pick for the best Mac sync or can I now get one of the others? Back when I got it, SE was the main choice, but now there is Motorola, Nokia, Seimens, heaps of brands.

The reason I ask is that I found the T68i to be a pretty crappy phone. It looked great and Mac support was good but SE could have done so much better with the actual phone component. Sound quality is bad, the interface isn&#39;t the best and it drops out all the time.

cosmichobo
13th May 2005, 07:07 PM
Best as I know they can&#39;t make a modern Newton due to the deal with the Devil. Making a mobile phone however may get around the agreement not to work on PDAs...

There&#39;s little doubt that the future of mobile phones, PDAs and laptops are going to merge, if they haven&#39;t already. And who better than Apple to do the bright spark thinking needed to make a truly useful and clever tool to meet all those needs.

tranp
13th May 2005, 07:39 PM
Oh, I have no doubt mate and I fully agree with you. The thing is, if Apple do release a smartphone, even if it&#39;s crap, there will be people who buy it. :lol: *looks for the pic of turd with BMW logo on it*

scruffie
14th May 2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by tranp@May 13 2005, 07:39 PM
*looks for the pic of turd with BMW logo on it*
Sir, I do believe that mean the BMW 1 Series :)

simonpeng
17th May 2005, 01:01 AM
I will be more intrested to see Apple to create Mac OS for mobile phone, and let mobile phone makers to use Mac OS platform. Nokia, SE, Motorola and other mobile phone makers are having their OS now but plenty of PC makers are trying to enter the market. The concept of Mac OS plus hardware company will be a very interesting combination.

downsys
17th May 2005, 01:47 AM
Apple always makes their own hardware. not a good idea to let license it to other companies as far as quality control is concerned. but then again, they did made the deal with motorola. hmm. but that&#39;s just itunes right? not a complete OS.

simonpeng
17th May 2005, 03:33 AM
Lots of PC are using Linux and many of my friends are using Linux. The system is white brand, the OS is free and they are more stable than Windows-based PC.

The stability will not be the problem but I don&#39;t think Apple will license their OS to others, so this is only my drea~~~ B)

arty
17th May 2005, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by WonderBoy@May 13 2005, 06:59 PM
I want to upgrade my SE T68i to a new bluetooth phone. Is SE still the brand to pick for the best Mac sync or can I now get one of the others?
There are lots of brands & models and most Sync in some way. Apple&#39;s iSync device page (http://apple.com.au/macosx/features/isync/devices.html) is the bast place to look for compatibility.

For ease of use, i prefer the SE models, but that&#39;s just my personal preference.