PDA

View Full Version : Documentation and Phone Plans

chrisongtj
20th December 2008, 03:51 PM
Hi,

I will be moving to Australia next month and was wondering what documentation is required for signing on a post-paid contract? I read in a few places that 100 points of ID is needed. Driver's license + passport + ATM card? Would I require evidence of my address as well? Just want to prepare a bit before I leave.

Also, does anyone have opinions of Optus vs Virgin? I plan on getting the Optus $79 plan or something similar. Or would I be better off buying a phone outright and using a provider like 3? I classify myself as a moderate-heavy user, don't send much SMS but heavy on call time and internet usage. Also living in Brisbane near CBD if that matters (for reception!)

Trabb
20th December 2008, 04:05 PM
Yeah, 100 points. Are you on a visa or a resident? You need to make sure your visa is for longer than the contract or the credit check will fail. International passport and visa/residency info is usually ok as a primary ID, but a local, government issued ID (photo card, drivers licence) is probably quicker/easier.

You can only use one primary ID usually, so the rest can be made up of things such as a credit or ATM card, medicare or private health insurance card, bank statement or utility bills. You will need one of these to have a permanent Australian address on it, and the primary ID has to have a photo on it. Everything needs to be current. Just take in as much as you can and you should be fine... just make sure you can prove a permanent address first (either by having it on a government-issue ID or with a rental agreement or something).

chrisongtj
21st December 2008, 04:40 AM
I'll be on a student visa which lasts for 4 years. I already have an Australian driver's license (Victoria) and a few bank cards so I guess all I'll need is a letter from my college to confirm my address.

Any opinions on Virgin vs Optus?

byrnsie
21st December 2008, 10:25 AM
Well both Virgin and Optus use the same network so just have a look at the plans and see which one will give you the best value for how you will use the phone.