PDA

View Full Version : Macbook - Spilt Coke

ajbeardy
20th December 2008, 03:12 PM
My daughter managed to spill a glass of coke over her black mac book last night and suffice to say it is dead.

Opened it up (after all the coke drained out) and gave it a bit of a clean. Managed to get it to take power again but it will not boot at all. The fan did spin up once but now it will not even do that. This is what I had expected anyway.

Any ideas what I can do with it? Not sure if the screen will be okay. I was thinking that I could sell the battery, and maybe the super drive. The hard drive seems okay, I have taken that out and booted from it.

If you are after some parts maybe send me PM.

Wally
20th December 2008, 03:15 PM
Have you tried washing the board with metho?

Oh and a general rule with liquids is to leave it a while after cleaning it to let the stuff try up.

fompsweeva
20th December 2008, 03:22 PM
Actually, the more accurate thing to do:

1. Take all batteries out of computer and disconnect from power. (as soon as you can! don't worry about shutting down, just pull the battery)
2. Clean affected portions of computer with demineralized water (found in the laundry section of your supermarket) The lack of minerals means that there are no minerals left behind to cause oxidization. You could also use iso alcohol if you wish, but I'd personally use demin water first.
3. Let dry. You can put it in rice or whatever.
4. Leave for as long as you can - make sure it's bone dry.
5. Turn it on.

DON'T leave any impure or abrasive liquids to dry (such as salt water, coke, etc)

ajbeardy
20th December 2008, 03:25 PM
Have not tried the metho as yet. I have left it overnight but still do not like my chances.

Supblek
21st December 2008, 10:39 AM
My friend has spilled water all over his MBP, as soon as he done it.. he drained as much of the water he can by turning it upside down, he left it out to dry and it turn backed on..

I was so surprised! cause it was drenched!!

Anyways.. let us know how you go???

gregj777
21st December 2008, 11:27 AM
Once it has dried for a while, maybe it will start up again. I have a Macbook Pro, and I would have died if this had happened to it. I also have one of those small netbooks, an Acer Aspire One, and about 3 months ago I spilled a full glass of white wine on the keyboard. I panicked, but turned it upside down immediately and unplugged the power. Then I held it upside down while I wiped it off with a wet paper towel, and then I held down the power key until it shut down.

I left it sitting upside down on a towel overnight, and the next day, miraculously, it booted up just fine- except I noticed that now the speakers did not work! I was hoping maybe this too would change, and amazingly it did- later that day the screen said there was some type of USB port that was not recognized- I reasoned this was the speakers- and then the error went away. When that happened, the sound came back! It's been about 3 months and everything is still working like new.

I hope your story ends up just as well. Good luck to you.

ajbeardy
21st December 2008, 11:32 AM
Having looked at the logic board and seeing all the corrosion on it already I doubt it is coming back although I will give it a clean with some corrosion cleaner and see what happens.

I went to the Apple store yesterday and bought a new white MacBook. They were sympathetic to my pain but the cost of repair is not worth it.

Hopefully I will get a refund for the balance of my Apple Care.......

Also having just realised I did not have "accidental damage" on my insurance policy (I have everything else) I have fixed that as well. Maybe worth checking you have this on your policy.

PatrickH
21st December 2008, 11:36 AM
ajbeardy,

Sorry to hear of the death.

What are the specs of the blackbook? A replacement logic board would be expensive.

ajbeardy
21st December 2008, 11:42 AM
It was an 2.0GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, bought in April 07 after the last black macbook upgrade. The only consolation is that I only paid $1749 and salary scarified it so that reduced my cost substantially.

Replacement logic board fitted was approaching $1000K i think...

arkenstone
21st December 2008, 12:13 PM
rn it on.

DON'T leave any impure or abrasive liquids to dry (such as salt water, coke, etc)

This man speaks the truth. The sugar and other shit in coke will do more damage than the water in it.

Jimbo
21st December 2008, 12:47 PM
Also having just realised I did not have "accidental damage" on my insurance policy (I have everything else) I have fixed that as well. Maybe worth checking you have this on your policy.

insurance policy? wtf? is that with applecare or something?

decryption
21st December 2008, 01:13 PM
insurance policy? wtf? is that with applecare or something?

Um, insurance for a laptop, or part of his house and contents insurance. Nothing to do with AppleCare.

ajbeardy
21st December 2008, 01:23 PM
yes, insurance for accidental damage via the home and contents policy. If I had it it would have covered me for the damage.....